'50s wiring and volume control

SpinWheelz

Reaction score
So after I put '50s wiring in three of my guitars, I've now noticed something quite useful though I can't explain it.

When both pickups are selected, I can cut the volume of my bridge pickup but my neck pickup will still register. But when I cut the volume of my bridge pickup only, both pickups are cut. I never had this happen when I was wired up with the modern wiring, and I don't know if it's something weird I've done, or if this is a trait of '50s wiring.

Can anyone shed some light? Cheers.

Liam

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
They definitely don't normally do that. You've made a mistake somewhere. Volume controls work just like they do on modern wiring (except for a more rapid taper and more retained top and of course!)

thenappyone

Reaction score
i've heard of a bad ground (cold joint?) on the vol. pot make the volume not cut out entirely with the knob at zero. So maybe double check your work?

SpinWheelz

Reaction score
So I tested the lot again. I was mistaken, when I cut the volume on EITHER pickup down to zero, I get no sound. It wasn't affecting just the bridge pickup.

I don't have any modern-wired guitars anymore after I made the conversion. Are you suggesting that with proper '50s wiring, I should be able to cut the volume on a given pickup entirely and still get pickup sound from the other pickup if both pickups are selected?

Curlymaple

Reaction score
So I tested the lot again. I was mistaken, when I cut the volume on EITHER pickup down to zero, I get no sound. It wasn't affecting just the bridge pickup.

It supposed to do that on vintage or modern wiring. How?? Not a darn clue, but it's been that way eversince I started playing guitar (30 years ago) with two volume two tone control I've been correct before, so.... that's just MHO.:fingersx:

You did a fabulous job on your upgrade and seems like you've got it right. Sometimes it just takes time to get used to it but eventually you'll get a hang of it.:applause:

thenappyone

Reaction score
Are you suggesting that with proper '50s wiring, I should be able to cut the volume on a given pickup entirely and still get pickup sound from the other pickup if both pickups are selected?

if you did the "regular" 50's wiring then no. If you do the 50's wiring with independant volume controls then yes.

SpinWheelz

Reaction score
So it sounds like I shouldn't have anything to worry about, that I can cut the sound with just one knob. Phew. Thanks for the help, folks.

Liam

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Now for the fun bit. You can cut the volume with either control, but it sounds different depending which control you use. And the whole lot interacts really nicely with the tone controls, giving a load of other sounds. Go have some fun!

Liam

Latest Threads