50's TV Sit-Coms. Old TV in general. Things I didn't know.

DavGrape

Plastic Sheds are the Devil's Playground
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just watched a 'Trackdown,' with Robert Culp.
Pretty good, it's all about the story... moves along at a good clip.
There's narration that fills in gaps; Culp definitely isn't a superman-type-western hero, he's human.
I gathered this from just the one episode.
YouTube seems to have a bunch of them.

DavGrape

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Second one I watched, "The Town" had Lee Van Cleef, Stuart Whitman, and written by Sam Peckinpah.

GitFiddle

Reaction score
Never heard of it! ↑
Warrants investigating, I reckon.
Another classic is "Wanted Dead or Alive", starring Steve Mcqueen as an old west bounty hunter. Instead of a pistol he uses a sawed off rifle (Mare's leg).

Mare's leg

250px-MareLeg.JPG

DavGrape

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Robert Culp 'Hoby' does indeed wear his badge below his ribcage!
It's distracting!
Hahaha!
And in "The Town" he was walking like either his boots were brand new, or a drunk guy trying to appear fine.

Gfunk_Minor

Ooooops
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
if memory serves, Chuck Connors was the first man to shatter a back board in the NBA.
it wasn't in a game, just pregame warmups, and it wasn't a dunk.
He hit the rim....lololo

fett

Get fett. It pays.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Gunsmoke episode "Blind Man's Buff".:wtf: Blind man's buff or blind man's bluff is a variant of tag in which the player who is "It" is blindfolded. The traditional name of the game is "blind man's buff", where the word buff is used in its older sense of a small push. The game later also became known as "blind man's bluff"; it is possible that this name is a linguistic corruption.

LtDave32

President and founder of H.U.G.E.
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Gunsmoke episode "Blind Man's Buff".:wtf: Blind man's buff or blind man's bluff is a variant of tag in which the player who is "It" is blindfolded. The traditional name of the game is "blind man's buff", where the word buff is used in its older sense of a small push. The game later also became known as "blind man's bluff"; it is possible that this name is a linguistic corruption.

Yeah well, in some old episode of The Rifleman, Lucas has some old buddy over. He ends up giving him a back-rub.

Full on, hairy bare back (or should I say "bear") oils, the whole magilla.

How am I not supposed to read into that?

It's about as subtle as a ship's "cabin boy" .

" nothing wrong with a good boy around to tend to the captain's needs, no nothing unseemly there at all."

" nothing wrong with practicing the manly arts of flesh-rubbing. No, not at all. Mark, pass me the whale oil.. "

Don't know what episode, don't recall the year. I just know I saw it.

Do you think for one friggin' minute that Marshall Matt Dillon would let Festus touch him?

Miss Kitty, oh of course.

But no Sam the bartender. Not even after "last call".

No Newly the gunsmith.

Not even the blacksmith played by Burt Reynolds.

Not just "no", but "fuck no". That's not going to happen. No shady-ass "back rubs for theraputic purposes" happening there. Bet your life.

Now, Chuck's a mighty man. NBA, Big-league Baseball, etc.

But there's these things that kept coming around when Chuck Connor was mentioned..

Last edited:

DavGrape

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Blind Man's Buff", yah I watched it.
George "Goober" Lindsay murders a man in cold blood to rob him.
Really a violent scene, surprised me.
Guns him down, actually; the guy survives.

Gfunk_Minor

Ooooops
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah well, in some old episode of The Rifleman, Lucas has some old buddy over. He ends up giving him a back-rub.

Full on, hairy bare back (or should I say "bear") oils, the whole magilla.

How am I not supposed to read into that?

It's about as subtle as a ship's "cabin boy" .

" nothing wrong with a good boy around to tend to the captain's needs, no nothing unseemly there at all."

" nothing wrong with practicing the manly arts of flesh-rubbing. No, not at all. Mark, pass me the whale oil.. "

Don't know what episode, don't recall the year. I just know I saw it.

Do you think for one friggin' minute that Marshall Matt Dillon would let Festus touch him?

Miss Kitty, oh of course.

But no Sam the bartender. Not even after "last call".

No Newly the gunsmith.

Not even the blacksmith played by Burt Reynolds.

Not just "no", but "fuck no". That's not going to happen. No shady-ass "back rubs for theraputic purposes" happening there. Bet your life.

Now, Chuck's a mighty man. NBA, Big-league Baseball, etc.

But there's these things that kept coming around when Chuck Connor was mentioned..
Dave,
Maybe this is what you saw....?

LtDave32

President and founder of H.U.G.E.
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

I didnt' read any steambath-style Fire Island back rub with liniments there in that text.

What I saw, in the show, was Lucas giving a very "theraputic" back rub to some old <cough, ahem> "buddy" of his.

Right there in his cabin. Right in the front room.

I saw it for sure.

I thought, "why is The Rifleman giving a back rub to some "cowboy"?

Then I thought, "why does this even need to be in the show?"

Think about it. You're watching "American Bandstand" on Saturday morning, and Dick Clark starts giving one of the dancers a back rub.

Does that work?

NO, it does not. Does it?

So why is Lucas McCain giving an oily rubdown on the hairy man-bear back of some cowboy dude-buddy?

I'll let you guys work on that for a while. Go ahead and break any or all of that down. Workable chunks. Process it.

Last edited:

JonCanfield

Random Yahoo
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Father Knows Best - the house-
Originally built on the Columbia Pictures backlot in 1941 for the film Blondie, a cinematic adaptation of the popular daily comic strip, the Anderson house was recycled again and again over the years. It was Mr. Wilson's home in the Dennis the MenaceTV series. After some remodeling, it turned up as Anthony Nelson's abode in I Dream of Jeannie. The place also pops up in Hazel, Bewitched, The Monkees and The Partridge Family

Latest Threads