'50s Tribute>>Deluxe conversion?

efstop

All your base are belong to us
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm bored and wobbly-popped so this is totally random, although I have thought about it a few times.

I have a '13 '50s Tribute GT with P-90s. I have wanted for the longest time (OK, maybe 30 years) a Norlin Deluxe GT. I'm wondering if it would be worth the money to have the neck and body routed and bound, and install a pair of mini-hums. It wouldn't be a real Deluxe and the body is about 1/4" thinner, but it would look good even up close. This is not for resale, and I wouldn't ever try to pass it off as a Deluxe. The serial number would identify it for what it is.

For the record, I paid $460 CND (currently $352 US) so it might be a good idea for me fiscally.

Eh? Eh?

Or convert it to a '56 and save the cost of the mini-hums. I like the P-90s.

ARandall

Reaction score
Why not just put in the mini hums and not waste $$ on the binding. Its a really expensive thing to do for very little result.

The GT already has that nice faux binding yes??

efstop

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The GT already has that nice faux binding yes??

No, not even that. In fact, the cap seems to be thinner than other LPs. I have an idea for making faux binding that would require deep sanding the channels and using Poly-Filla mixed with urethane but I haven't experimented yet.

ARandall

Reaction score
The originals had the clear back.....allowing the side of the maple cap to be a coloured strip as binding of sorts.
I did that to a honeyburst....removing the burst on the very edge and down the side of the maple cap and it was quite a nice effect.

I would never want to try removing wood on an assembled guitar to make binding......and I make guitars from scratch. I know what it takes to get the transition smooth. It would be a complete refin required - gold as well.

MikeyTheCat

Reaction score
I agree with ARandall, just drop in the MH pickups.

efstop

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of old bolt on necks and a piece of mahogany I can experiment on. I wouldn't be removing more than 1/32-1/16" of wood, and it would be slow and tedious, for sure. I have already designed a simple tool or two to ensure even lines and depth.

I'm in no hurry to do this, I just like bound LPs and I don't have one :)

Donal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I'm bored and wobbly-popped so this is totally random, although I have thought about it a few times.

I have a '13 '50s Tribute GT with P-90s. I have wanted for the longest time (OK, maybe 30 years) a Norlin Deluxe GT. I'm wondering if it would be worth the money to have the neck and body routed and bound, and install a pair of mini-hums. It wouldn't be a real Deluxe and the body is about 1/4" thinner, but it would look good even up close. This is not for resale, and I wouldn't ever try to pass it off as a Deluxe. The serial number would identify it for what it is.

For the record, I paid $460 CND (currently $352 US) so it might be a good idea for me fiscally.

Eh? Eh?

Or convert it to a '56 and save the cost of the mini-hums. I like the P-90s.

I'd go for the 56 :D

I hvae been gassing for a GT for ages but keep getting derailed buying other other but when I do it will be with P90s ;)

Latest Threads