50's or 60's Style Neck?

drejr77

Reaction score
Can the serial number of a Les Paul (in my case #02234649) determine whether it has a 50's or 60's neck? I think the serial number number indicates it was made sometime in 2004. All I know that it's a Les Paul standard. The neck feels great. The salesman told me it was '60's neck, but since I bought it used, who knows if he really knew. What are the differences in necks on Les Paul standards nowadays?

Tim Plains

Reaction score
Probably, but you'd have to send your serial number to Gibson and ask them.
Year - 1st & 5th number.

Necks are a bit different. The new Standards have asymmetrical necks and if I'm not mistaken, the Traditional (essentially, same as the old Standard) only come with a '50s neck.

If your neck is thin, it's a '60s.

drejr77

Reaction score
Thanks, Tim. By the way, your '56 Gold Top reissue is a beaut. You know, I've been a Strat player all my life, so, and this may sound dumb, but any Les Paul neck is bigger to me! That said, I'm getting used to it, and the scale length is pretty awesome for bends.

Last

The Cleaner
Reaction score
The new Standards have asymmetrical necks and if I'm not mistaken, the Traditional (essentially, same as the old Standard) only come with a '50s neck.

Agreed.

Though there almost always seems to be an exception to the rule. However for the most part Traditional's are 50's (thick) neck profiles.

vmjoe

Reaction score
Year - 1st & 5th number.

Necks are a bit different. The new Standards have asymmetrical necks and if I'm not mistaken, the Traditional (essentially, same as the old Standard) only come with a '50s neck.

I believe you are right with these statements. I have a LP Studio with the 50's neck and I bought a new '08 Standard last Saturday with the new asymetrical neck. I also tried a Traditional before making my decision. There were a couple of factors that led me to purchase the Standard, but the neck was the primary reason. It feels great. It is thinner on the top part of the neck (high E side) and bulges toward bottom part of the neck.

Another LP I tried was the new one with the Floyd Rose. It was a little out of my price range and I'm not much on whammy bars either, but the neck was great. The have shaved it down where the neck glues to the body, much like a Jackson. The access to the upper register is better than any LP I have ever played. By the way, it had a beautiful "Flamed" top with a Honey Burst finish. I hope they use this neck on other LP's in the future.

vmjoe

Reaction score
Thanks, Tim. By the way, your '56 Gold Top reissue is a beaut. You know, I've been a Strat player all my life, so, and this may sound dumb, but any Les Paul neck is bigger to me! That said, I'm getting used to it, and the scale length is pretty awesome for bends.

The shorter scale really does make bends easier. I use 11's on my LP's. I can still bend them and it really does help the tone.

You are right about the 50's necks being more substantial than most Strats, but one exception was the old Jeff Beck signature. That neck was pretty thick, but probably not quite as wide as a LP neck.

GuitarGuy503

Reaction score
Year - 1st & 5th number.

I disagree on the last part. My Standard was documented with a 50's neck but it feels more like a 60's neck. With that being said just because a neck is on the thinner side I don't believe it is necessarly a 60's neck.

KSG_Standard

Reaction score
There are 4 different neck profiles ('50s, '59 rounded, '60s slim taper, and Assymetrical) that being said, each neck is slightly different as they are hand finished.

drejr77

Reaction score
The shorter scale really does make bends easier. I use 11's on my LP's. I can still bend them and it really does help the tone.

You are right about the 50's necks being more substantial than most Strats, but one exception was the old Jeff Beck signature. That neck was pretty thick, but probably not quite as wide as a LP neck.

Cool. I never played one of the Jeff Beck signature Strats! I suppose old Jeff liked a thicker neck after playing that famous Les Paul on "Blow By Blow".

LongBeach

Reaction score
I have both, and the difference is night & day between my 60's neck compared to
my 50's neck. My studio has the 59, which feels closer to the 50's.

Latest Threads