50's neck Goldtop P90 options

uwmcscott

Reaction score
I've had GAS for a quite some time for a P90 Goldtop. What I REALLY want is a 56 reissue, but it's somewhat out of my price range. I am a cheap bastard basically, so we can just get that out of the way now.

My wants are this: A goldtop with P90's and a TOM bridge ( ala 1956 ) and a fat 50's neck. I have a 2013 Traditional and a 2011 Studio deluxe and love the fat, round 50's neck. I know that one of my choices would be to just save up until I can afford a 56RI and be done with it. And that is an option I am exploring, i frequent the classifieds here, Reverb and Evilbay/Craigslist.

BUT...here comes the cheap bastard in me:

Is there any other configuration, either modern or semi-modern, that is the same as a 56RI? I thought I had hit the jackpot the other day when I found out about the late 2014 traditional Goldtops with the bigsby, but I got a chance to play one over the weekend and it has a VERY thin 60's neck, which I don't like very much at all.

Did they make a standard in the past 10-15 years that had a similar config? Or perhaps a deluxe that I could swap out the mini-hums for P90's? I have never been able to get my hands on one to see how the neck feels.

So ...
Goldtop/P90's/TOM/Fat neck...do I simply need to keep saving my pennies?

Airplane

Reaction score
i don't know man but the best LP i ever had was a 2013 54. the playability and tone and overall quality... just a freakin dream. only reason i sold it was that i seriously needed the benjamins. i think if you had it for a while and broke into the fretboard, it's a totally different guitar than a gibson USA LP. it think it's worth every penny.
i know you said you want a TOM bridge, but the warparound TP surely had a big influence on the fantastic playability of that guitar.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
Look for a '71 (or there about) Deluxe (not routed). Chunky neck. Swap the mini humbuckers for P-90s. If you feel it necessary, swap the bridge...

BuddyHollywood

Reaction score
Find a 2010 Les Paul Studio 50's Tribute and have a luthier apply binding if it's important to you.

uwmcscott

Reaction score
Find a 2010 Les Paul Studio 50's Tribute and have a luthier apply binding if it's important to you.

Thanks. I've actually looked at those but I'd prefer a solid body and a full gloss nitro finish. ( and I already have a studio ).

Dino

Reaction score
There was a limited edition Traditional Pro goldtop with P90's that fits your description. I believe they were manufactured exclusively for Guitar Center around 2011.

uwmcscott

Reaction score

Farquad

Reaction score
If you dont want weight relief, you'll have to go reissue, or old used deluxe.

I've seen mint R6's go in the $2500 range fairly often, so you should be able to save off the new stock price of $3600.

You could look for an R5 as well since they made some with a TOM and stop tail, but the neck carve is different with a bit narrower shoulders, but just as thick as a R6.

uwmcscott

Reaction score
Then just suck it up and get an R6.

Yes, the more I look the more this looks to be the best solution. I played a 2014 R6 over the weekend at my hometown Gibson Mecca and it felt "just right".

uwmcscott

Reaction score
If you dont want weight relief, you'll have to go reissue, or old used deluxe.

I've seen mint R6's go in the $2500 range fairly often, so you should be able to save off the new stock price of $3600.

You could look for an R5 as well since they made some with a TOM and stop tail, but the neck carve is different with a bit narrower shoulders, but just as thick as a R6.

I've been keeping a close eye on the classifieds here and Reverb and that does seem to be the going rate for a good r6, i've even seen a few go for under 2500 on fleabay.

If that 2014 traditional had a 50's neck ( why why why did they do that when all the other trads have it ) i would have been in business.

As others have mentioned I most likely will just need to suck it up and get what I really want.

Latest Threads