50's neck feels ok to me?

Samantha

MLP Cub Reporter
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
iv seen allot of posts with people saying that they dont like 50's neck whats the main difference between teh 50's necka nd the 60's i played both at a new guiatr store i found and the main difference i felt was that the 50's was a bith thicker and felt like an odd squashed D shape the 60"s was more slim and like a rounded C.....am i close to right?

guitar whiskey

Reaction score
Both necks are great for me. My R7 is about .920" at the first fret and the R0 is .840" at the first fret. Each has it's own character, tone, and feel, but I would not say one is better; just different. Both are C shaped and feel comfortable and natural to me. I am not that fond of the D shaped necks however.

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I want a 50's neck, and have two with a 60's.

FearTheCalm

Reaction score
I like 50's better, my LP STD 2006 is a 50's neck, they just fit my hands better. Most likely alot of 50's bashers bought 60's because they are called "fast" necks without really trying both and want to bash the 50's. This of course isn't always the case, but I'm telling you to take their comments with a grain of salt. I can shred just as fast or faster on my 50's, and to ME, it is more comfortable.

What it comes down to is:
50's = C shape neck ( more rounded, I think it's more ergonomic, personally.)
60's = U shaped neck (more streamlined)

GeeJay

Reaction score
Having started out playing Epi's I thought I was going to buy a 60's neck Standard or a Classic. But when it came to it I found I really like the 50's neck profile. No point in me having a fast neck when I have slow fingers...

Tenacious T

Reaction score
I love the 50's neck. Feels really comfortable.

Don't think you can go wrong with either.

BigC

Reaction score
From what I've read the reproduction 50s necks are not as fat as the originals.

GeeJay

Reaction score
From what I've read the reproduction 50s necks are not as fat as the originals.

I've seen that too, but have not played an original so don't know first hand.

I've also read that the R7/R8 necks can be pretty chunky too. Again I haven't had much experience of historics. I've played the odd one now and then at shows, but have never picked one up and thought 'wow that's a fat neck!'...

I'd like to do a direct comparison with my Standard and some of the fatter necked guitars just to see how pronounced the difference is. Mine is definately fatter than 60's necked Stanards or Classics that I've tried.

Roman

Master Luthier V.I.P.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
From my perspective, a 50s "big round neck" may get a bit of getting used to for some, but once you get it, it is more comfortable and leaves you less fatigued.

you can play the guitar longer.

Latest Threads