50s Les Paul standard vs 60s Les Paul standard

RyLeyGoat

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a dumb question but I’m Trying to decide between these two, I know the neck on the 50s is fatter but I wanna know which one has better pickups. Want more of a classic rock type sound like zeppelin.

Les Paul Newb

Reaction score
I think that would come down to if you prefer the sound of alnico 2 or alnico 5 magnets. There’s a few videos on YouTube where people compare the 2 magnets in the same guitar (same pickup even). Darell Braun or whatever his name is does one. I’ll try to find it.

Edit: here you go

Deathray

Reaction score
I have a Standard 50s, with the BB 1+2s. I tried the Standard 60s first and liked it, but for the classic rock sound(my wheelhouse ), the 50s were far superior. Such great tonal depth, they sound great overdriven. And that 50s neck:jam:

Last edited:

JMP

Reaction score
I recommend playing both and picking the one that feed best in your hands. I think the tonal differences between them are minimal. Your playing technique and amp choices are what will give you some Jimmy Page tones.

Good luck finding your Les Paul.

pondcaster

Reaction score
I recommend playing both and picking the one that feed best in your hands. I think the tonal differences between them are minimal. Your playing technique and amp choices are what will give you some Jimmy Page tones.

Good luck finding your Les Paul.
This would be my opinion as well.

Had a few 50s & 60s standards recently and was able to a/b them thru my rig for a while.

I ended up preferring the 60s. The 50s (A2s) were just too twangy to my ears. Nice though.

The 60s (A5s) were more versatile for my purposes. Ymmv, of course.

mdubya

Reaction score
Get a Tele? And a Tone Bender.

:dunno::hmm:

Otherwise, JPP has a '59 LP with the neck shaved down to be 60's thin and it has had a PAF (50's) and a T-Top (late 60's - early 70's) in the bridge.

freak

Reaction score
Get the guitar that plays best for you. Pickups can always be changed out. Hell, I think he even has his own set, or get the RAS pedal.

PauloQS

Reaction score
The best pickup for you might not be the best pickup for someone else. Besides pickups can be swapped. Go for the neck profile you like more. Neither necks are overly fat or skinny, so there is that too.

dro

Reaction score
If you could play 5 of each. You would find some better than others, in each category. Try to play 5 50's models. Find the best one. Then play 5 60's models, find the best one. Then A/B them against each other.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Most definitely play the 50's neck and then the 60's neck, to see what you like best. Tone can be adjusted, with amp, pedal or pickup swap for sure. I use to like the 60's slim taper neck, I just did not like the 50's baseball bat neck, so hopefully the new Standard 50's neck is not that big. Anyway, I have a Custom with a medium C neck which is perfect for me, that also has the 490R/498T pickups which have a great range of tones. I just love my custom all the way around, and hopefully you find the Gibson that you will love the same.

ns2a

Reaction score
Dla firm, które chcą się reklamować zewnętrznie, tramwaje mają niesamowite możliwości. Jedną z najważniejszych zalet jest możliwość podmiany grafiki w trakcie trwania kampanii. Śmiało możemy powiedzieć, że <a href="https://bogdanelu.eu/articles/31/reklama-w-tramwajach.php">reklama w komunikacji miejskiej</a> należy do najciekawszych ze względu na dotarcie do klienta kampanii reklamowych
Good point.

CoolRene

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a dumb question but I’m Trying to decide between these two, I know the neck on the 50s is fatter but I wanna know which one has better pickups. Want more of a classic rock type sound like zeppelin.
You’d probably be better off with 60’s and Alnico V’s, but try the neck first. Personally, I can’t play 60’s necks…

semka

Reaction score
There are a few dealers that offer exclusive models of 50s. Wildwood offers '59 Tribute pickups with theirs, Sweetwater - '57s, so your choice is wider than with 60s.

Breakfastime

Reaction score
You might look into Zhangbucker pickups, he does a 'Pagey' set that might suit you just fine

I've got a few sets from him and they are some of my favorites- plus he's having a 20% off sale now.

Imperial

Reaction score
the new 50s standards are probably the finest guitars ive laid my hands on and I definitely went through a lot of les pauls recently
I must say that the new 50’s neck is really good. I have a 2020 Junior that is amazing in how nicely it plays.

dave19er

Reaction score
I love the neck on my 50s. For my hands, it's perfect. And I'm really impressed with the pickups. I normally end up not loving many stock pickups and swap them for something else (especially the burstbuckers I've had on other Les Pauls), but I've had my 50's LP for about a year and a half, and I'm still loving the pickups. Sheptone does a set of pickups modeled after Jimmy Page's tone, called the Heartbreakers, and they're great. I have a set in a PRS McCarty. I expected to swap the pickups in this guitar for a set of those, but I've been enjoying these pickups so much, I don't plan to swap them.

Editing to add that I DID play a whole bunch at Wildwood and Guitar Center, before settling on the one that I bought. But I was picking based off neck shape, weight, and resonance/acoustic tone (figuring I can always swap the pickups later).

Last edited:

brthegreat117

Reaction score
I've had both.
I loved the neck on the 50s. I love that we have the option to get a 50s neck Standard Les Paul, but the 60s just felt like a better sounding guitar.
The pickups on the 50s were a bit too muddy for me while the 60s were bright with a lot of bite. It oozed tone.
I also prefer the finish options available for the 60s apart from Heritage Cherry on the 50s.
Wildwood I think has 60s finished 50s Standards.

I've sold both now as I just didn't fall in love with either of them.

tigerflame

Reaction score
This would be my opinion as well.

Had a few 50s & 60s standards recently and was able to a/b them thru my rig for a while.

I ended up preferring the 60s. The 50s (A2s) were just too twangy to my ears. Nice though.

The 60s (A5s) were more versatile for my purposes. Ymmv, of course.
I've had both, stayed with the 50s. There's overall more roundness and less top end on the 50s in my own testing.

The neck is much better for bigger hands too.

Latest Threads