50's Les Paul or ??

the great waldo

Reaction score
Hi All

I just had a customer /friend come in with an old les paul. It's been a bit got at refinished (a long time ago) alufoil in the control cavity. I can see traces of gold in the pickup cavity. FB brazilian with I think original frets inlays look kosher, pots replaced .I was wondering if anyone had any comments or ideas. Apparently Lou Reed sold it in the 70's here in Austria. Here's a link to Helmut's video on it.

Cheers
Andrew

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Nice!
Sounds terrific!

Just so it's clear: "Below 4 kilos" = below 8.8 pounds.
Would have been helpful to explore the different elements, cavities, etc.

Thanks for posting!
:thumb:

Joe Desperado

Reaction score
from just the video, it looks like a refin 54. Judging by lower Gibson logo on the headstock and top carve etc. Could be anything I suppose, but if we are sure its at least from the 70s when sold, then I would suspect 54-ish. The reissues had a different top carve and logo placement in 72ish time frame.

the great waldo

Reaction score
Yes Helmuts a great guitar player. I've known him since I moved to Austria from England in 1990. He drops into the workshop regularily for a cup of coffee and a woffle about anything and everything. He's really fussy about his tone and gear and I was pleased as punch when he stayed with a set of strat pickups i'd made in his lovely old white strat. He bought the les paul over the other day to have a look at. This was a really nice surprise as I hadn't had many 50's lp's in my hands since the late 70's early 80's when I worked in the old Rose Morris shop in london Shaftesbury Avenue (for the oldies amongst us that remmember the shop) The Lp was really light and the neck not massive, and very comfortable. I couldn't get a look under the pickups as they are not moving. I've got a feeling that there might be some rubber under them which has perished and set hard. I'll try and get hold of the guitar again and either make some drawings or compare with the forums drawings. The guitar could do with a refret as the frets are really low. I was surprised at the top carve which on the bench didn't look very pronounced but on the video looks spot on !! I actually did some repairs for Harry Pepl who was a lovely man when I first came to Austria. He had a playing technique which was way beyond me. A toast to his memory!!

Cheers
Andrew
Ps If possible please subscibe to Helmuts youtube channel as every little bit of support in these covid times helps players who can't get out to gig. (I don't know if i'm allowed to do this ? admin delete if neccesary)

nuance97

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was surprised at the top carve which on the bench didn't look very pronounced but on the video looks spot on !!
Having been around this forum and “learning” about vintage topcarves for years before actually handling some vintage LPs my expectations vs the real thing were far apart. The perfectly flat deck pickup plane the width of the rings that steeply slopes down to a wide deep recarve is a fantasy. The carve is subtle. It looks very pronounced when the light catches it right with all the reflections and refractions…it’s deceiving.

LPTDMSV

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
“The wood, that’s all. That’s what it’s all about.”

Oh yes.

the great waldo

Reaction score
If I get another look at the guitar i'll bring my moisture meter along (non invasive)

Cheer
Andrew

the great waldo

Reaction score
Well I missed the bleeding obvious. It's a one piece top. I managed to fix the bridge earth wire problem with a spring in the bridge stud hole. Moisture reading was 10.2 as opposed to all the other les pauls in the shop 12%!!
Cheers.
Andrew

Attachments

nuance97

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I missed the bleeding obvious. It's a one piece top. I managed to fix the bridge earth wire problem with a spring in the bridge stud hole. Moisture reading was 10.2 as opposed to all the other les pauls in the shop 12%!!
Cheers.
Andrew
Judging by the bridge pickup gap on that guard I’m willing to bet it’s a post trapeze ‘53. The guard is probably cut to fit the later iteration of the ‘50s P-90 guitars. :thumb:

Last edited:

Latest Threads