50s goldtop

R1sky

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I own a couple of fabulous Les Paul replicas (tokai old sunburst ls80 1981 & Burny FLG-70 1978)

I will be purchasing my first ‘real’ Les Paul in about 6 months and I’ve always wanted a 50s goldtop with p90s I just love the vintage mojo this design / model has.

Is there anything specific to look out for, avoid , particular year etc

I’d look to buy new but I’m not against an older used goldtop.

I’ve heard some people have QC issues out the factory which I really don’t expect from a £2k+ guitar

I assume the best thing to do is go and play a new model at a shop? Is that still that brand new feel?

I appreciate your input.

BDW60

Reaction score
You’re very unlikely to get a “perfect” guitar from Gibson USA. You very well may get a great playing and sounding one, but if you go over it with a fine toothed comb you’ll find something. These are half the price of a PRS 594, for example, so don’t expect it to be like that or you’re going to be disappointed.

Best thing is to go play as many as you can, and when you find the one that sounds right, feels right, and plays right ... just buy it. Don’t worry about small cosmetic imperfections. Just get a good one and make it your own.

Blues_Verne

Reaction score
Well, I've been a P90s afficionado ever since my first guitar in 1963. My latest and last Gibson Les Paul purchase 2021 was a used 2020 Special Tribute with, again, P90s.

What I learned in over 50 years aquiring guitars is a simple truth: you play an instrument and if it talks to you it'll be yours. Most likely more often a well played used instrument rather than a brand new 'non-personality'.
To learn how to handle P90 tone territory is another story altogether.

Uncle Vinnie

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a 2018 R6 GT, it was a fantastic guitar, perfect quality, the P90s were the best sounding pickups I've ever heard along with my 1978 Pro Deluxe, but the neck was too skinny for me, .9" @ 1st fret, 1" @ 12th.

I also bought a used 2010 R6 GT, sounded great, excellent QC, couple of very light nicks but well taken care of, .93" @ 1st fret, but the shoulders were incredibly huge and made for an uncomfortable player.

After that I bought a 1996 R6, it was in absolute perfect shape, so I wouldn't be put off by an older used guitar so long as it was taken care of.

I now have two R6s, a 1996 and a 1997, and they both have very fat necks .97" @ 1st fret (which I love) and which seem to be less prevalent on new models, so if you want a very fat neck > .95" you're more likely to find it in 2010 and earlier guitars.

Seems there is more variation in neck sizes and contours in the older guitars than newer ones.

redcoats1976

Reaction score
i honestly like my 2017 GT tribute a little better than my 2016 trad HP.it weighs 8 pounds compared to 9 and a half,and something about the non gloss finish makes it look and feel older.dont ignore a tribute 50s GT if you see one.you might accidentally save a bunch of money.

Latest Threads