50s/60s Gibson Standards ... thoughts?

Dak0t4

Reaction score
well, disappointed, no long tenon on a 2.5k 50s, 60s inspired les paul guitar?

MiniB

Reaction score
Most Standard have been like that for a while, except those weird puzzle-piece ones they has some years back.

Dak0t4

Reaction score
Most Standard have been like that for a while, except those weird puzzle-piece ones they has some years back.
but at least regular standards dont have the 50s 60s moniker i guess

PauloQS

Reaction score
Les Paul Tribute ‘50s and Les Paul Tribute ‘60s, Les Paul Classic ‘60s, ...

They’ve been very clear that the moniker is due to neck profile and a few appointments such as tuners, pickups and knobs

Injector

Reaction score
Could you hear or feel the missing long neck tenon if you didn't know it wasn't a feature? Gibson have been making LPs with a short tenon for decades but if you want the old spec head over to the custom shop....

Dak0t4

Reaction score
Could you hear or feel the missing long neck tenon if you didn't know it wasn't a feature? Gibson have been making LPs with a short tenon for decades but if you want the old spec head over to the custom shop....
i guess, my only les paul has it

seems fair that custom shop thing for something that should come in every lp

gypsyseven

Reaction score
There are few practical differences between the 50's and 60's models other than different neck profiles (50's are slightly thicker) and the wiring is different in a way that has a minor effect to how the volume and tone pots interact with each other. It really does just come down to which guitar (not the model so much as the actual guitar) you like playing more. Key is don't settle.
Sorry, but both got the modern wiring...even the 50‘s model...

Pappy35

Reaction score
Really? The 50's doesn't have the caps different that the 60's? I did not know that. Easy enough to change but I'm surprised.

Dak0t4

Reaction score
According to whom?
well, since i stated it... me

maybe not every guitar, but give the option to every guitar, although from a production standpoint it doesnt make much sense to not have every guitar made with the same neck, but whatever

Last edited:

Pappy35

Reaction score
Well, I'll be damned. You're right. This is the control cavity of a 50's Standard I briefly owned (for like 2 days). It sure does have "Modern" wiring (caps soldered to the center lug on the tone pots is the giveaway). I took this picture but since I was returning it I never really bothered to look at it. It's serial number dated it to Nov. 2019.

PS - I bought the guitar from GC and was in a hurry so I didn't look at it closely in the store (it is my local store and with their return policy I just wasn't worried about it). When I got it home I realized it must have been a "wall-hanger" there. It had all kinds of hanger rash so back it went.

IMG_20200813_171236.jpg

1598899661989.png

MiniB

Reaction score
but at least regular standards dont have the 50s 60s moniker i guess
Well, they did when it referred to the neck profiles, but I take those to mean that and some other cosmetic details like the tuners. I never expected them. to use things such as period-correct rings, poker chip, neck tenon and glue on USA Standards no matter what they called them.

MiniB

Reaction score
Well, I'll be damned. You're right. This is the control cavity of a 50's Standard I briefly owned (for like 2 days). It sure does have "Modern" wiring (caps soldered to the center lug on the tone pots is the giveaway). I took this picture but since I was returning it I never really bothered to look at it. It's serial number dated it to Nov. 2019.

PS - I bought the guitar from GC and was in a hurry so I didn't look at it closely in the store (it is my local store and with their return policy I just wasn't worried about it). When I got it home I realized it must have been a "wall-hanger" there. It had all kinds of hanger rash so back it went.

View attachment 486104

View attachment 486105
Yeah the Wildwood Select 50's Std I got came with modern wiring, which I switched.

Dak0t4

Reaction score
Well, they did when it referred to the neck profiles, but I take those to mean that and some other cosmetic details like the tuners. I never expected them. to use things such as period-correct rings, poker chip, neck tenon and glue on USA Standards no matter what they called them.
i never expected them to use tuners period-correct rings or poker chip or hell, one piece bodies and necks, because i understand theres a cost and time behind all of that, but tenon, body thickness and neck tenon? it should be a given option for every epiphone or gibson and specially a guitar with the 50s gimmick

ps: i love how these guitars look and its not my intention to bash any owners, im sure they sound great and are awesome instruments but its hard to keep swallowing the expensive gibson pill without complaints

Pappy35

Reaction score
So basically they're all the same except for: knobs, tuners, color options, pickguards, and neck thickness then? This is pushing me even harder to get a CS '59.

Latest Threads