500T/496R For My LP Custom

MichaelAndrew3435

Reaction score
What are your thoughts on these pick-ups? I got an LP Custom that came with a set of EMG active pick-ups and I'm thinking about swapping them out. I like the high output of the EMG's, just not sure I like them. I'd also get new 500k pots to go along with these pick-ups.

flamesarewicked

Reaction score
These also came in the snot green inlay era of the classic... they’re a tad bright.. I believe the Dirty Fingers set is Gibson’s highest output pickups to date... I think..

If you’re going after something for high gain...

Fishman Fluence is the way

TXOldRedRocker

Reaction score
I had the 490's set in one of my LP's when I first bought it. Switched out for SD Pearly Gates. Went from good to great, for me.

MichaelAndrew3435

Reaction score
I think those came with Flying v's and Explorers, Kinda harsh, IMHO. I prefer the 498T/490R.

Thinking about selling or trading those EMG's..? :naughty:
If I find something else I like more, then I would probably sell the EMG's.

Here's my small concern with the 498T/490R. I've had them on a couple of LP's in the past with mixed results. I have another LP Custom and I believe they have the 498T/490R's in them and it's the best sounding LP I've ever had. The guitar has a ton of grit and sustain and I wish I had another guitar that sounded as good. But I've had other LP's with the same set and they weren't nearly as hot as my other Custom. The Custom I'm talking about is a CS model. The other LP's I've had with the 498T/490R were not. For CS Gibson's, is there something else in the chain/electronics that makes them better? Is it the pots?

Deftone

Reaction score
If I find something else I like more, then I would probably sell the EMG's.

Here's my small concern with the 498T/490R. I've had them on a couple of LP's in the past with mixed results. I have another LP Custom and I believe they have the 498T/490R's in them and it's the best sounding LP I've ever had. The guitar has a ton of grit and sustain and I wish I had another guitar that sounded as good. But I've had other LP's with the same set and they weren't nearly as hot as my other Custom. The Custom I'm talking about is a CS model. The other LP's I've had with the 498T/490R were not. For CS Gibson's, is there something else in the chain/electronics that makes them better? Is it the pots?
I've had good results with Bourns pots, I also like SD JB's in my LP's. Some don't like them though.

I just realized I have a 500T/496R set in my Flying V. The bridge was replaced with a JB, the neck p'up is still in the V. I already have a 81/85 set ready to go in.

MichaelAndrew3435

Reaction score
Well I went with the 500T/496R (ceramic) set and 500k pots. I've never had these pick-ups before so we'll see how I like them. If they're too bright or hot, I can always adjust the settings on my guitar/amp. It would be more problematic if they weren't hot enough.

Also I got gold pick-up covers. I don't have to solder those right? They just fit over the 500T/496R?

LP Traditional

Reaction score
I have a 500T in my 1977 Les Paul Custom and really like it a lot!
Playing mostly metal and hard rock it fits my playing style really well.
It cleans up really well but you have to turn down more than usual.

Eigen

Reaction score
I thought these pickups sounded great, i had them in a natural Flying V98 from 2001, one of the guitars I regret selling. I was playing mostly through a AD30HTC/2X12CB, sounded killer. It was a darker amp though, that said I don't remember them being extremely bright. Brightish yes, but they had meat to them especially at higher (vintage) gain.

Latest Threads