5 watt tube amp question.

Gig with 5 watt tube amp

• Total voters

LP1865

Reaction score
So one of my guitar buddies went to the local guitar store today, and played this really small amp.
Handwired right here in India, has a built in load box and an attenuator.
Seems like a great recording and practice amp, but my friend asked the guy at the shop whether it would keep up with a drummer.
The store rep said yes in a very confident manner, and frankly my friend didn't believe him.
He called me up, like he usually does, and told me to look it up on the internet.
The opinions I hear is that its possible, while others say its not.
Technically, a 5 watt amp is half as loud as a 50 watt amp, which is very loud.
Assuming one was to gig with it at a place with PA, would one not be able to hear it over a drummer with the right cab, say, a 2x12 loaded with V30s?
There's a lot of smart people here, so I wanna know if its possible.

Dilver

Reaction score
Assuming one was to gig with it at a place with PA, would one not be able to hear it over a drummer with the right cab, say, a 2x12 loaded with V30s?
If you can mic the amp and run it through the PA, then you’ll have no problem - lots of people play even large venues with a low watt amp that’s mic’d. But on its own, it simply won’t give you enough headroom unless you play in a quiet jazz or mostly acoustic group.

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
You're either going to have to mic it, or get a bigger amp IMO. For a heavy handed drummer playing rock, I've always needed about 30W minimum, but then again I do want to have cleans from time to time. Sometimes a 22W Deluxe Reverb sized amp works OK for me, but I generally need more headroom.

When cranked, you might find that it's loud enough but completely falls to mush and flubs out. YMMV and all of that, but I don't think that it's going to work for you.

LP1865

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys
The price point seemed very promising so I was just speculating.
That's a $250 handwired head.
I'll look into their 20 watt version, but it's more than twice the price

matthew bear

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys
The price point seemed very promising so I was just speculating.
That's a $250 handwired head.
I'll look into their 20 watt version, but it's more than twice the price
If they have master volume circuits, I’d say get the larger version. I pretty much hate 5 watt amps to be honest... I’d rather have a 50 watt amp with a good master than a non master 5 watt amp, regardless of musical genre. I’m saying that as a owner of a 1960 tweed champ.

rolandson

Reaction score
Loud is a function of many thngs. Speakers being high on the list.
Number of,
Size,
Total Impedance,
Efficiency ....

My experience is with a Bugera T5 Infinium 5 watt Head driving either a 12" Red Fang at 8 ohms, or 2 -10" Weber C10Q's at 4 ohms. All are very efficient speakers.

Yes, five watts can be very very loud. Perhaps not loud enough to keep up with a heavy handed drummer and 300 watts of bass player on steroids, but certainly loud enough for a smallish venue, upright bass, and a casual kit. Anything more and you might want want to mic it...
and put the feed into your monitor!

LP1865

Reaction score
If they have master volume circuits, I’d say get the larger version. I pretty much hate 5 watt amps to be honest... I’d rather have a 50 watt amp with a good master than a non master 5 watt amp, regardless of musical genre. I’m saying that as a owner of a 1960 tweed champ.
The 20 watt version has a built in L-Pad attenuator, but its around $550

matthew bear

Reaction score
The 20 watt version has a built in L-Pad attenuator, but its around $550
But no master volume?

that may be a good option, I think in general I prefer push pull designs (meaning two power tubes) of a single ended design. Overall they tend to be less raspy and you will have a little more control of your sound via pedals ect...

A single ended el84 basically sounds like a hornet fart in my experience :laugh2:

matthew bear

Reaction score
Looks like it has a master and a attenuator... I would think the bigger model is the right move :dunno:

LP1865

Reaction score
Looks like it has a master and a attenuator... I would think the bigger model is the right move :dunno:
makes sense.
it is their flagship model.
Probably worth the price too.
Should be better than other amp heads at that price.
But I'll need more money for a cab
Its either gonna be this or a katana

rich85

Reaction score
Yes. A 5 watt amp through a Vintage 30 can keep up with a drummer. I gigged my Marshall Class 5 head a fair bit. We do Sabbath covers and heavy blues rock.

Its not ideal though. But. If you arnt doing a lot of gigging who cares.

Latest Threads