5 pin to 2 pin QC connection - FYI

Marsden

Reaction score
5 pin to 2 pin QC connection - FYI

Hi, Thanks to [email protected] (a user on a Gibson forum) I was able to get my new pickups working properly. He was trying to tie 2 Gibson 4 wire pickups (not QC) into a 5 pin QC board. He was able to do so following the regular Gibson colour coding but then found that the middle switch position caused a noticeable drop in volume.

Les Paul Quick Connect issues - Gibson Guitar Board

I had a bit of a different issue. I purchased a rental LP Studio and discovered that one of the renters had replaced the Gibson pickups with Epiphone pickups. The retailer gave me a choice of returning the guitar or a partial refund. The guitar felt great so I accepted the refund.

The studio had a QC board with 2 pin pickup connectors. Being new to the whole QC thing, I had no idea that there were 2 formats - 2 and 5 pin. So I bought a set of QC pickups on ebay and found upon delivery that they were 5 pin. Following some on-line resources, I cut off the 5 pin connector and was able to connect the 5 wire pickup to a 2 wire QC lead. I followed the same wiring scheme for both pickups.

Upon completion, I found the same issue as [email protected] - the middle switch position caused a drop in volume.

With his info, I was able to rewire the bridge pickup and solve the problem. Since I was unable to find anything online that gave instructions for a 5 to 2 pin conversion, I will post it here.

The 2 pin QC lead wire (QCW2) consists of a silver braided wire covering a black wire up to the white shrink wrap which labels the wire as Bridge or Neck. From the shrink wrap, a black and green wire run to the 2 pin QC connector.

The 5 pin QC pickup (QPUP5) has 5 wires - red, green, white, black, bare

Wiring A - Neck
The neck pickup is wired as follows:
QCPUP5 red soldered to QCW2 black
QCPUP5 green and white soldered together
QCPUP5 black and bare wire soldered to QCW2 braided

Wiring B - Bridge
The neck pickup is wired as follows:
QCPUP5 white soldered to QCW2 black
QCPUP5 black and red soldered together
QCPUP5 green and bare wire soldered to QCW2 braided

PLEASE NOTE that that Wiring B is only for a 5 pin QC Bridge pickup.

If you have 2 regular Gibson pickups that come only with the 5 wires, use Wiring A for both. It should work but I cannot guarantee that it will because I have not tried it out!

JDBfour

Reaction score
I got the same issue with my 08 Studio and a couple of '61 Pickups....quick question before I start hacking these things up...

Did you leave the existing green wire(from the 2pin connector) soldered to the braided shield and then just solder the additional 2 wires(black and bare) to that braided shield?

jdiogon

Reaction score
Silly question maybe : to do the opposite, what should I do ?
Which cables I have to put together (or split in this case) to plug a 2-conductor pickup into the 5-pin connector of my guitar ?

Thanks

Latest Threads