5 Pauls on the wall

ColdCobra

Reaction score
Is there much difference between the 53, 58, and 60?

What pickups are in the 53?

The tops on both the 53 and 60 are gorgeous.

What's your #1 out of all those? ...don't say a tele or you'll get banned!

Thanks for sharing

JJ Blair

Reaction score
Cold, the '53 has a 8.1kΩ PAF in the bridge and a very early 7.85kΩ Pat No in neck.

Sometimes I feel like my favorite is the '61 345. It's just an unbelievable guitar. The last one I'll ever sell is the '58. I love that thing so much.

There is a lot of difference between the three LPs. The '58 is probably the most articulate, snappiest, and the brightest. I also love the chicken pickin' tones I get in the middle. The neck is amazingly comfortable, and the neck pickup is insane. The '53 is really fantastic. Very resonant and throaty. The '60 is balls deluxe. It reminds me very much of the Cream Burst. There is a midrange authority to the bridge pickup that makes soloing an amazing experience. It's just meaty and full of rich, thick overtones.

ColdCobra

Reaction score
Cold, the '53 has a 8.1kΩ PAF in the bridge and a very early 7.85kΩ Pat No in neck.

Sometimes I feel like my favorite is the '61 345. It's just an unbelievable guitar. The last one I'll ever sell is the '58. I love that thing so much.

There is a lot of difference between the three LPs. The '58 is probably the most articulate, snappiest, and the brightest. I also love the chicken pickin' tones I get in the middle. The neck is amazingly comfortable, and the neck pickup is insane. The '53 is really fantastic. Very resonant and throaty. The '60 is balls deluxe. It reminds me very much of the Cream Burst. There is a midrange authority to the bridge pickup that makes soloing an amazing experience. It's just meaty and full of rich, thick overtones.
Thanks for the response.

You sold me on the 60. I'm a bridge pup lover, so a rich thick tone sounds perfect

I haven't played very many 50s LPs but the one thing I've noticed is the neck pups are much more articulate than newer ones. Maybe it's the pup or wood (or my imagination). I can't stand a muddy neck pup, so this aspect of the 50s guitars really appeals to me.

Not surprisingly I love the staple pup on my 72 54RI. It also stays very articulate even under gain.

Cookie-boy

Reaction score
Great bunch of guitars!!!:thumb: I think at one point I found myself with about forty guitars but in recent years I've thinned it down to 16. Just 50's and 60's Gibsons and Fenders, plus my Italian Jobs.:thumb: More manageable!

RAG7890

Reaction score
Great bunch of guitars!!!:thumb: I think at one point I found myself with about forty guitars but in recent years I've thinned it down to 16. Just 50's and 60's Gibsons and Fenders, plus my Italian Jobs.:thumb: More manageable!
...................& more cost effective. :)

:cheers2:

JohanHaellgren

Reaction score
I wanna see that 62' Les paul! A nicely aged and worn late 60-63' Les Paul/SG makes me go :wow:

Spekter

Reaction score
I used to have them straight, but my g/f demanded that I give her some wall space in that room. LOL. I was taking up three walls.

Acoustics and archtops are down in the living room. :)
How does she feel about all the cases? :laugh2:

madmusicltd

Reaction score
JJ - That wall of guitars is sick! Not only are they beautiful to adorn, I'm sure they all sound, and play fantastic!, not to mention your collection is a financial portfolio that you can actually touch!

Hey! that was my first guitar strap (3rd from left) wow! wish I still had it~

Can you post a pic of the acoustics in the other room too~ I'm just drooling...

JJ Blair

Reaction score
How does she feel about all the cases? :laugh2:
They all live in the attic or the shed ... or the extra dead space I found and made a storage thing out of it. LOL. There's a lot of cases.

JJ Blair

Reaction score
Can you post a pic of the acoustics in the other room too~ I'm just drooling...

And you know which one has wound up on the most records out of all of these? The 1990-ish Taylor 710. Sits in a track like nothing else.

madmusicltd

Reaction score
Thanks for posting!, I now need to wipe the drool off my keyboard...

sws1

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
All right already. LOL.

I just got around to putting up the hangars just like how you did. Right now, the setup is under a "stress test". I have 8-9lb bags loaded with random junk, hanging from each of the hangars to make sure everything is stable and doesn't pull away from the wall. Better to test with bags of flour than a bunch of expensive guitars.

JJ Blair

Reaction score
I just got around to putting up the hangars just like how you did. Right now, the setup is under a "stress test". I have 8-9lb bags loaded with random junk, hanging from each of the hangars to make sure everything is stable and doesn't pull away from the wall. Better to test with bags of flour than a bunch of expensive guitars.
I screwed 1x3 pieces of oak into the wall studs, and then mounted the hangers to the studs. I wouldn't mount the hangers onto sheet rocks, like to might do with Swing Strings.

sws1

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I screwed 1x3 pieces of oak into the wall studs, and then mounted the hangers to the studs. I wouldn't mount the hangers onto sheet rocks, like to might do with Swing Strings.
That's what I did. But for some strange reason, my studs are not uniform distance apart. It's a non load baring wall. So in one spot, the studs are 30" apart.

And of course, when I'm asking so much stuff, I'm super cautious. I'll let the weights sit up for another day, and if there is not movement in the oak, I'll load up the guitars.

rem22

Reaction score
What a thread....thanks for the sharing and congratz on this nice collection !

sws1

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Seems like my handy work is complete. So I created my own "5 Pauls on the Wall" photo, cause it does look kinda cool, despite horrible lighting, shadows, and a mix of outdoor/fluorescent lamps. Here ya go.

'57, '59, '14, '00, '56

Latest Threads