490R / 498T appreciation thread

Overture

Reaction score
I'm honestly a little surprised to see so much love for this set. I couldn't get them out of all the guitars I've had them in quick enough. YMMV for sure.

Mockbel

Reaction score
I put a 498T on my Horizon Ltd for a while and was pretty good for “metal” tones.. I used it with a Seymour Duncan Jazz in neck and they made a good match.. I switched this guitar back to stock EMG just for versatility..
I am still considering a 498T for my new Epi Explorer
060FE256-ACF2-43F0-B9D6-C2C68A371985.jpeg
5BFA934E-51EA-424C-99D3-B5992CF8499A.jpeg

garybaldy

Reaction score
One reads so much about the 490r/498t mis - match. It certainly isn't the case with the 490r/490t set

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
(...) Despite the greatness of that guitar, I'm keeping my R8 in the case because I really can't love those custombuckers, and I feel like I'm missing my tone, which is that 490R/498T.
I know would be a stupid move to mount that combo on a Reissue, but I'm really tempted since I usually buy guitars to play them, not to watch'em sleeping in the case ...(self conviction here LOL!!).

What would you guys do?
I'm not a fan of the 498T but that being said, you should try the 490R/498T combo on your Reissue
if that's what floats your boat.

Just don't tell anyone!
;)

But report here!
:thumb:

Shelkonnery

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s nice to see a thread like this, I love the 490r/498t set.
I have them in my ’90 LP Custom and in my ’00 SG Standard.

They’re not for PAF lovers.
But they’re surprisingly versatile playing with the knobs.

Every time I watch comparison videos with Duncan JBs or Suhr Aldriches, I see no point in replacing them. They’re too similar IMHO. Funny how people are so quick to dismiss them.

These are supposedly their first form, so here’s a couple of nudes:

IMG_7149 copy.jpg
IMG_7146 copy.jpg

Imperial

Reaction score
They are. I upgraded my 2010 Custom with a Mojotone wiring harness this week, and been trying different volume and tone settings. These pickups have all kinds of good sounds in them.

rogue3

Reaction score
I had them in a 90 Standard. When you become obsessed with a sound(as i did with the paf thing),you find reasons to dislike what you have. But in hindsight, they were better sounding in that 90 Standard than i was allowing my judgement to accept. They are a pickup that can cover most music styles and sound excellent.Too much drive? start working your guitar and amp volume and tone controls...a clean boost can clean up the mud. A functional volume control on the guitar can allow you to go from clean,lightly overdriven to scream,with a twist of the guitar volume knob.

To my ears,and in my limited experience,great paf repros are a niche pup.But what a niche when they are done right too.all imho and the application.

490R/498T :yesway:

OLD GUITAR PLAYER

Reaction score
I had not realized how much I liked them until recently. I grabbed my 2006 Les Paul Custom which I had not played for a while and discovered that the 490/498 combination all over again. I’m not sure if it was the guitar or the fact that I was playing through my Neural Quad Cortex but I was really diggin it. I pretty much live in the bridge position but I was diggin it. I’ve been playing a couple of my Les Pauls that have ThroBak pickups and the stock pickups installed in the Custom hung in there quite well!
The 490/498 has been Gibson's "go to" pickup combo for over 30 years. There must be a reason. :cool:

Last edited:

OLD GUITAR PLAYER

Reaction score
It’s nice to see a thread like this, I love the 490r/498t set.
I have them in my ’90 LP Custom and in my ’00 SG Standard.

Every time I watch comparison videos with Duncan JBs or Suhr Aldriches, I see no point in replacing them. They’re too similar IMHO. Funny how people are so quick to dismiss them.

These are supposedly their first form, so here’s a couple of nudes:

View attachment 556448 View attachment 556447
I have Duncans in 2 other guitars, but I felt these 490/498's held up just fine. I decided to let them live, no need to replace them.

Ted Pikul

Reaction score
My favorite set. It's what makes me buy Studios instead of Classics or Standards, and I'm always looking for an ebony SG Standard with the set...most recent year was 2016, I believe?

Latest Threads