490R / 498T appreciation thread

C_Becker

Dat Gibson smell
Reaction score
So this set of pickups is standard in many Gibsons, yet most people don't seem to like it.
Me, I actually really like this set of pups. I tried quite a few higher-gain pickups in the last months, but those remain a favourite.

In fact, I've even bought a set on Ebay to put in my Epiphone Explorer, see if I like them better then the 496R /500T set that I installed last week (Not that those are really bad, but that particular Epi is a very dark and somewhat muffled sounding guitar and I need some brighter pickups, the ceramics are a little too compressed for my taste)

The 498T is a really good passive for hard rock and metal, its bright and agressive and stays clear even under high gain.

The 490R often gets criticised as too muddy and not well balanced with the 498T.
Personally I don't like a neck pickup that is too clear and characterless, yet I have never found the 490R to be muddy. It is quieter than the 498T, true, but that is actually useful for what I use a neck pup for.

So, if you like this set of pickups as well, post here to show your support.
If you don't like it, that is totally fine, but please don't troll in this thread, thank you.

Angus Rhoads

Reaction score
I have the 498T/490R pickups in my '98 Standard, love 'em. The 498 has a nice upper-mid snarl that's great for AC/DC & Zep and the bottom end stays nice & tight even with a lot if OD. The 490 is my favorite neck pickup, period. Smooth and thick with great sustain - I agree, not crazy about bright neck pickups, I like them with that smokey Santana/Schon vibe.

1all's Pub

Reaction score
I have them in my 97 SG Standard and *really* like them. I tried swapping in another boutique PAF bridge pickup, but missed the attitude of the 498T, so put it back in almost immediately.

They are great for classic hard rock & classic metal (AC/DC, Black Sabbath, etc).

Here's my SG...I did remove the covers myself, because I prefer open coils.

PierM

Reaction score
I'm a neck pup guy these years, and always been a huge fan of the 490R. Love the "dark" side of its mood, without never being dull or muddy. It has plenty of dynamic and headroom for my stuff, and is great for almost any kind of genre. Its for sure harder to tame than the other typical 57 combo, but for me it has more character. Its my favourite neck humbucker from Gibson these days and I could not imagine a Custom with a different voice in the neck. On the other side, I hate the 498T, basically impossible to balance with the neck brother.

buckman

Reaction score
I picked up a 2017 lester recently with two 490s. I really like them. I had a 60 reissue lester with the 498/500 combo, which was a sweet sounding guitar. But I like a an underwound set and the 490s really get it for me. I play in an original, sort of old school metal prog rock band in NYC, and in a 70s classic rock cover band.

buckman

Reaction score
Its a really sweet pup and responds very well to vol and tone tweaks.

C_Becker

Dat Gibson smell
Reaction score
Its a really sweet pup and responds very well to vol and tone tweaks.
+1 It feel its very easy to cop a more "classic rock" tone just by rolling volume and tone back a little.

Good to see that there are quite a few of us that can appreciate the qualities of those pickups :thumb:

ACEit

Reaction score
I'm a neck pup guy these years, and always been a huge fan of the 490R. Love the "dark" side of its mood, without never being dull or muddy. It has plenty of dynamic and headroom for my stuff, and is great for almost any kind of genre. Its for sure harder to tame than the other typical 57 combo, but for me it has more character. Its my favourite neck humbucker from Gibson these days and I could not imagine a Custom with a different voice in the neck. On the other side, I hate the 498T, basically impossible to balance with the neck brother.

that's the very reason I take the 490/498 combo out of my sg and put a SD jazz/Jb instead ... but now I want to try them in the prs santana se that I've recently bought.. that guitar needs a very umbalanced kit with aggressive bridge... as being a 24 frets the PU are very near to each other and if they are not VERY different they sound the same in every position... the only doubt is that on that guitar the bridge must be a little "honky" while 498t is just "harsh"

Last edited:

Death Incarnate

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I absolutely love the 490R. It has such a round thick character.
I have two Les Pauls with the 490/498 combo - a 2009 Studio Silverburst and Epi Custom Classic.

Last edited:

Veeing Fly

Reaction score
I put a set in my 89 LPC and I love them. I've found other pups that are as nice, but never any that are better.

MSB

Banned
Reaction score
I think the 498 gets a bad rap because it's so "hot" in comparison to most other factory Gibson pickups (i.e. 14k vs 7 or 8k). I really like it, but 500k pots make it much easier to digest imo.

I'm ok with all the hate for them on the forums- that way I can usually snag them cheap when people take them out for "real" pickups

Latest Threads