$4600 for a Murphy paint job?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deftone

Reaction score
Maybe I am biased because I own a WW Select 2017 R0 BUT i likely will never sell it so I wont benefit from their promotion. Based on my experience and in certain cases they DO actually select superior woods like PRS Private Stock. This back pic of my R0 doesn't do it justice. In the flesh it's really amazing looking and rings like a bell. The guitar posted here in question looks like it has select mahogany too. I worked as a luthier for a few years and wood selection DOES make a difference to tone as well as looks. I like the lower wind ordered custombuckers too as they have more definition and I can easily boost them with a clean boost to hit an amp hard. So they are worth an upcharge I don't need to go to boutiques...... like private stock in PRS imo. How much is fair is questionable but obviously Gibbo are going for what the market will bear. So arguably the whole $4600 extra isn't just the Murphy paint job. The sourness of this deal is that it is not at all an exceptionally good or out standing paint job.
oh, I get it....you dumped a massive pile of cash on some ridiculous fake so now you're trying to defend it. LOL.

Hey it's all good buddy. You love it, that's all that matters.

Kanga Blue

Reaction score
I disagree and I never got anything but compliments on it until you showed up. I love it so that's all that matters. BTW it's a 70's Strat, supposed to look like the modded 80's beater, not pre cbs.

oh, I get it....you dumped a massive pile of cash on some ridiculous fake so now you're trying to defend it. LOL.
Yep loads of people think that MJT finishes are great. They have little to zero experience with original finish vintage Fenders or the true vintage restorers who can do a fairly believable vintage relic finish like the USA guys I mentioned and guys like Clive Brown in the UK. I am happy you are happy with MJT just don't go around bragging that it is a vintage correct looking finish however. It's simply not. Neither is a Murphy vintage correct but he would be waaay better than MJT on a Fender.

I am not sure what planet you are on. WTF are you talking about.. What "ridiculous fake"? You are trying to make out my '17 Wildwood Select R0 is a fake? Are you suggesting that the 2015 WW10 Wildwood specific order Fender Strat finishes I posted are "ridiculous fakes"? They don't look vintage correct but they look and feel absolutely gorgeous! They also sell for the same or more money than when new. By the way I am not bragging..... just giving examples where Wildwood select orders (which is what this whole thread is about) are better guitars than the average Custom Shop and therefore are worth a greater asking price like a PRS Private Stock is. I am also posting that a MJT is NOT reference of a good vintage finish in the slightest. Again all cool if you love it but it's totally irrelevant to the discussion at hand.

Last edited:

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep loads of people think that MJT finishes are great. They have little to zero experience with original finish vintage Fenders or the true vintage restorers who can do a fairly believable vintage relic finish like the USA guys I mentioned and guys like Clive Brown in the UK. I am happy you are happy with MJT just don't go around bragging that it is a vintage correct looking finish however. It's simply not. Neither is a Murphy vintage correct but he would be waaay better than MJT on a Fender.

I am not sure what planet you are on. WTF are you talking about.. What "ridiculous fake"? You are trying to make out my '17 Wildwood Select R0 is a fake? Are you suggesting that the 2015 WW10 Wildwood specific order Fender Strat finishes I posted are "ridiculous fakes"? They don't look vintage correct but they look and feel absolutely gorgeous! They also sell for the same or more money than when new. By the way I am not bragging..... just giving examples where Wildwood select orders (which is what this whole thread is about) are better guitars than the average Custom Shop and therefore are worth a greater asking price like a PRS Private Stock is. I am also posting that a MJT is NOT reference of a good vintage finish in the slightest. Again all cool if you love it but it's totally irrelevant to the discussion at hand.
In what way are they "better guitars"....?....

More specific............. In what way are they $4600 better?

While we are on the topic of this post..... Who made you the "bragging-rights" police??

That is what this entire forum is about..... people who brag about their guitars.

Last edited:

freebyrd 69

Reaction score

I’ve been to the custom shop…..twice. HOG, Eddies, WW, come out of the same pile of wood. Sorry to disappoint you.
Your guitar is beautiful, but I’ve got plenty of examples from other dealers that are every bit as nice. WW are just good at marketing, and squeezing extra $ out of customers that don’t know any better.

Deftone

Reaction score

The point that apparently escapes you is you spent about $5-10K?, I spent about $1K. Yes, relic is fake. Your guitar is FAKE. So is mine. Who gives a shit? Apparently you do. Maybe I would too if I had spent that much.

Never in my life would I have ever thought to "go around bragging" that any relic'd guitar was "vintage correct" what ever the hell that means. Who the fuck can even say that?

Clint

Reaction score
I’ve been to the custom shop…..twice. HOG, Eddies, WW, come out of the same pile of wood. Sorry to disappoint you.
So are you saying that the WW Spec historics are no different than a regular historic minus the lower wind pickups?
If so, that contradicts what WW says on their website:
"...so our resident Gibson expert visited the Custom Shop to hand-pick each and every top and fretboard."
I've owned a bunch of historics and 1 or 2 WW Spec over the years. I think what you are getting/paying for with a WW Spec is better or more authentic looking tops and backs and different pickups. Better looking doesn't always translate into better sounding. Similar to PRS Wood Library. It's mostly cosmetics but sometimes they get a great looking AND sounding one....that's the one many folks are chasing after.

Last edited:

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very few popcorn munchers can even see a label on a head stock or amp from their seats. They, as a whole, do not know the difference between a 12AX7 and a popcorn fart. They've never even heard of Murphy....Lester Polsfus either. They don't care either.... They don't know nitro from poly and don't care. They don't care if you use a Katana or a Marshall....

Sooooo... The vintage correct stuff makes ZERO difference to the popcorn munchers... I've heard contrary bullshit surrounding that for decades and it is bullshit. They Don't Care because they don't even know what the words mean.

If special whiz bang exclusive high dollar touched by Zeus floats your boat, by all means go for it... I just wouldn't expect players to be super impressed.... I never walked into a hanger and drooled over someone's SnapOn socket wrench....or a Lester on stage either... I can appreciate the beauty of a guitar whether showroom new or real road played but vintage correct doesn't much light any LED n my dashboard...

Just my $.02 up in here... Buy what you stokes your firebox...just don't expect others to be so impressed with how much it costs, what kind of paint, or if it is 'Vintage Correct' because they're probably not gonna be....

I guess if one puts a/an Acura, Lexus, Infinity, etc. badge on a car, it is better than the cheap old junky Honda, Toyota, Nissan, etc... Like the shiny plastic stick-on fake vents at WalMart that make your car go faster....

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Reaction score
Very few popcorn munchers can even see a label on a head stock or amp from their seats. They, as a whole, do not know the difference between a 12AX7 and a popcorn fart. They've never even heard of Murphy....Lester Polsfus either. They don't care either.... They don't know nitro from poly and don't care. They don't care if you use a Katana or a Marshall....
Good point.

Everyone do a quick mental inventory... not asking for answers, but without looking it up, how many in this thread know what guitar and amp PhilX is using on the current Bon Jovi tour?
I have no clue.
Honestly surprised me to see Ace Frehley (as well as other band members) playing "Vintage", which is identical to Harley Benton (probably the non-Thomann models).

Reactions: ehb

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Reaction score
So are you saying that the WW Spec historics are no different than a regular historic minus the lower wind pickups?
"...so our resident Gibson expert visited the Custom Shop to hand-pick each and every top and fretboard."
I've owned a bunch of historics and 1 or 2 WW Spec over the years. I think what you are getting/paying for with a WW Spec is better or more authentic looking tops and backs and different pickups. Better looking doesn't always translate into better sounding. Similar to PRS Wood Library. It's mostly cosmetics but sometimes they get a great looking AND sounding one....that's the one many folks are chasing after.
Just because the wood is picked over for looks doesn't mean it's better. Plain white maple is just the same as quilted, flamed, curly, whatever figuring you like...... it's the same maple wood. It costs more only because your willing to pay more for the oohs and aahs of a figured top. It's your money and your opinion,... do what thou wilt. Don't expect everyone to buy into it. That's my opinion.

Clint

Reaction score
Just because the wood is picked over for looks doesn't mean it's better. Plain white maple is just the same as quilted, flamed, curly, whatever figuring you like...... it's the same maple wood. It costs more only because your willing to pay more for the oohs and aahs of a figured top. It's your money and your opinion,... do what thou wilt. Don't expect everyone to buy into it. That's my opinion.
I don't disagree.
The two WW Specs I owned had great looking wood. My crappy licks sounded about the same regardless :)

searswashere

Reaction score
I don't disagree.
The two WW Specs I owned had great looking wood. My crappy licks sounded about the same regardless :)
6 pages in this thread -have we addressed that after a certain point (without taking lessons/woodshedding) people generally sound like themselves no matter the gear?

I know this, which makes it frustrating that I want 6K+ guitars not 2k+ guitars these days. I sound the same on both.

All this to say I'd love to try a murphy lab but have no current interesting in buying one new or used. That said I had no interest in R models and now I have two...

freebyrd 69

Reaction score
All I’m saying is the wood piles and procedure is the same for top volume dealers. HOG gets emailed “premium tops” to choose from. Same as WW. “Visited” the custom shop most times means getting pics of tops to select, although top dealers do occasionally get to go down there. I have literally had over 20 new Reissue purchases from HOG. There is nothing less authentic about their tops or backs.
I was at the CS in 2011 and in 2013. I got to choose tops from the “premium” pile. Of the over 150 Reissue’s I’ve owned, my 2011 is by far the best playing/sounding R I’ve ever laid my hands on. It’s 8 lbs even. Joe B thought it was chambered and had to look at the serial number to tell him it wasn’t when he played it.
Bottom line is, if you are happy with what you have and what you paid, that’s all that matters. I feel I’ve had enough experience buying these things that WW, IMO, are just master marketers as far as the significant up charge on their guitars.

Kanga Blue

Reaction score
In what way are they "better guitars"....?....

More specific............. In what way are they $4600 better?

While we are on the topic of this post..... Who made you the "bragging-rights" police??

That is what this entire forum is about..... people who brag about their guitars.

I already explained that. It's pretty simple different quality wood does sound different. When a dealer like Wildwood select mahogany for bodies and necks is does affect the tone as well as select tops and fingerboards. Maybe in some cases not so much but in others. I have worked professionally as a luthier. Have you?
Please don't misrepresent me and try and put words in my mouth I never said it was $4600 better if anything I said the opposite!
"Who made you the "bragging-rights" police?" WTF are you on about? You aren't making sense. Are you suggesting that me pointing out a guy posting about his guitar that is completely different style of guitar and paint and from a low quality not renowned at all painter is irrelevant to the subject matter in discussion is being the "bragging rights police"? If so please go see a psychologist. Really I don't appreciate the unfounded abuse.

The point that apparently escapes you is you spent about $5-10K?, I spent about $1K. Yes, relic is fake. Your guitar is FAKE. So is mine. Who gives a shit? Apparently you do. Maybe I would too if I had spent that much.

Never in my life would I have ever thought to "go around bragging" that any relic'd guitar was "vintage correct" what ever the hell that means. Who the fuck can even say that?
You must be slow. I discounted your guitar as irrelevant to the topic because it was a Strat not a LesPaul and it has a solid colour and is painted by a non renowned painter, unlike Murphy and unlike the people I mentioned. Secondly those WW Strats are NOT mine they were examples of beautiful work that was specifically ordered by them. It's not vintage correct but it is beautiful and resale values reflect that. The same cannot be said about yoru irrelevant to the subject guitar. Thirdly my WW Select '17 R0 is NOT a relic! I presented it as an example of WW Select woods making a difference and they do! So really you argument is just low class projection.

I reiterate the subject matter is Murphy finishes and his upcharge value and WW upcharge which includes select woods; the most expensive and renowned Les Paul finisher. Hysteric Makeovers are arguably better. A non sunburst solid colour MJT Strat is just irrelevant to this subject matter.

I just pointed you to have a look at some of the quality Fender work done by 3 refinishers that are renowned and pull more money a resale than the cost of the refin as a side topic that may have interested you as you seemed unaware of that level of quality for Fenders. I am sorry you got upset at my opinion and experience. I dont appreciate the abuse and projection of stuff I never said nor suggested however.

Your guitar is beautiful, but I’ve got plenty of examples from other dealers that are every bit as nice. WW are just good at marketing, and squeezing extra $ out of customers that don’t know any better.
If you are referring to the WW10 Strat relics (which I don't own) please post pics of other Fender relics with that level of beauty in their finish. 99% of ones I have seen are fugly as. That era of WW10 was exceptional I gave it as an example of an upcharge that I documented being reflected in resale values and a certain level of appreciation.

My example was the quality of the wood NOT the unreliced finish in my WW Select '17 R0. As a player, ex luthier and previous owner of many R0s and R9s it definitely is a cut above most.

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Reaction score
I already explained that. It's pretty simple different quality wood does sound different. When a dealer like Wildwood select mahogany for bodies and necks is does affect the tone as well as select tops and fingerboards. Maybe in some cases not so much but in others. I have worked professionally as a luthier. Have you?
Please don't misrepresent me and try and put words in my mouth I never said it was $4600 better if anything I said the opposite!
"Who made you the "bragging-rights" police?" WTF are you on about? You aren't making sense. Are you suggesting that me pointing out a guy posting about his guitar that is completely different style of guitar and paint and from a low quality not renowned at all painter is irrelevant to the subject matter in discussion is being the "bragging rights police"? If so please go see a psychologist. Really I don't appreciate the unfounded abuse.

You must be slow. I discounted your guitar as irrelevant to the topic because it was a Strat not a LesPaul and it has a solid colour and is painted by a non renowned painter, unlike Murphy and unlike the people I mentioned. Secondly those WW Strats are NOT mine they were examples of beautiful work that was specifically ordered by them. It's not vintage correct but it is beautiful and resale values reflect that. The same cannot be said about yoru irrelevant to the subject guitar. Thirdly my WW Select '17 R0 is NOT a relic! I presented it as an example of WW Select woods making a difference and they do! So really you argument is just low class projection.

I reiterate the subject matter is Murphy finishes and his upcharge value and WW upcharge which includes select woods; the most expensive and renowned Les Paul finisher. Hysteric Makeovers are arguably better. A non sunburst solid colour MJT Strat is just irrelevant to this subject matter.

I just pointed you to have a look at some of the quality Fender work done by 3 refinishers that are renowned and pull more money a resale than the cost of the refin as a side topic that may have interested you as you seemed unaware of that level of quality for Fenders. I am sorry you got upset at my opinion and experience. I dont appreciate the abuse and projection of stuff I never said nor suggested however.

If you are referring to the WW10 Strat relics (which I don't own) please post pics of other Fender relics with that level of beauty in their finish. 99% of ones I have seen are fugly as. That era of WW10 was exceptional I gave it as an example of an upcharge that I documented being reflected in resale values and a certain level of appreciation.

My example was the quality of the wood NOT the unreliced finish in my WW Select '17 R0. As a player, ex luthier and previous owner of many R0s and R9s it definitely is a cut above most.
:rofl:...... are you an engineer who frequents the Salvation Army?

Kanga Blue

Reaction score
:rofl:...... are you an engineer who frequents the Salvation Army?
That's meant to be funny? That's meant to be intelligent? Or is that just stupid unfounded abuse? Where do you get off?

Status
Not open for further replies.