45 Video Demos Led Zeppelin 23 Different Guitars (18 Historic)

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your music, man. I understand what you meant when you said that you didn't just sit down & hit "record". I made a few vids, too. And, I know full well that it takes a while to get it "right".

You got it right, bro. Keep on rockin'!

Alexsky1

Reaction score
OK after spending a fair amount of time listening to these (mainly because Jimmy Page is God to me), my favorite has to be:

22 No Quarter TSRTS 2010 JP2 color

I absolutely love this solo and think aside from the HTWWW version of SIBLY is one of his best solos of all time. I like the sound on this version slightly better then the 2013 R0 version. The JP2 hits the tone a little closer - but that's just me, as both are fantastic. Really nice work, man. Your SIBLY solos are nice but I do prefer the backing tracks (kind of keeps the tempo on track).

Time to start working on Achilles Last Stand!! :thumb:

and lastly, in YOUR opinion what do you think is the Hardest Led Zeppelin solo to play?

JimmyAce2006

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
OK after spending a fair amount of time listening to these (mainly because Jimmy Page is God to me), my favorite has to be:

22 No Quarter TSRTS 2010 JP2 color

I absolutely love this solo and think aside from the HTWWW version of SIBLY is one of his best solos of all time. I like the sound on this version slightly better then the 2013 R0 version. The JP2 hits the tone a little closer - but that's just me, as both are fantastic. Really nice work, man. Your SIBLY solos are nice but I do prefer the backing tracks (kind of keeps the tempo on track).

Time to start working on Achilles Last Stand!! :thumb:

and lastly, in YOUR opinion what do you think is the Hardest Led Zeppelin solo to play?

Thanks Alex! I agree with a lot of what you said, except for Jimmy being God! He's just a man like us! :thumb: LOL There are a lot of them that are hard. That Stairway TSRTS solo does not look that hard but it is. The Black Dog TSRTS solo has a few spots that have a high degree of difficulty. I won't do Achilles. Never cared much for that song.

Alexsky1

Reaction score
I won't do Achilles. Never cared much for that song.

Shocked!! Jimmy himself has stated that Achilles is one of his favorite songs to play and believes it represents some of his best work ever. I have to agree.

But thanks for your answer to what some of the hardest leads are. I will give them another listen with that in mind.

77custom

Reaction score
Outstanding man! I say you can play lead guitar in my band any time you want! You need to put that talent out there and bring some people some enjoyment.

JimmyAce2006

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Shocked!! Jimmy himself has stated that Achilles is one of his favorite songs to play and believes it represents some of his best work ever. I have to agree.

But thanks for your answer to what some of the hardest leads are. I will give them another listen with that in mind.

The solo on the BBC version of Immigrant Song has a nice level of difficulty, as does Celebration Day. Most of the live stuff does. I find it to be quite challenging. But it is the best stuff that encompasses all of the riffs & techniques.

jclark42796

Reaction score
Outstanding as always! Thanks for all the time and effort you take in making these great vids. and being a huge contributor to this site!

Jim

musicmaniac

Reaction score
When I first saw this I thought what kind of person would waste their time doing all of that. Then I listened to them and saw you weren't interested in being in a band and everything made sense.

The Wedge

Banned
Reaction score
You can play the songs, why don't you try playing in a band instead of doing the recordings? Maybe a Zepplin tribute band or, better, an original band. You will be limited in how good you will get playing by yourself...and it is a lot more fun playing for other people. Don't get me wrong, your videos are good, but there is more fun to be had.

For me it's either what you said, or concentrate more on writing and recording my own stuff. Either way you will get better.

Jimmi

Reaction score
For me it's either what you said, or concentrate more on writing and recording my own stuff. Either way you will get better.

Writing yourself does help but you learn so much by playing with other people who invariably have other ideas about music...especially if they are better than you are....and there is always someone better.

I think just playing by yourself, even if you are learning tunes from someone else who is accomplished as in this case, significantly limits how much you can improve and grow. Especially if you just concentrate on one style. It's a good exercise but limiting in several ways. Just MHO.

JTS550

Reaction score
I enjoyed your playing very much and personally thank you for all the hard work that must have went into this so you could share it with us. Very inspirational.

thanks again,

spoony

Ditto x100. Thank you very much.

The Wedge

Banned
Reaction score
Writing yourself does help but you learn so much by playing with other people who invariably have other ideas about music...especially if they are better than you are....and there is always someone better.

I think just playing by yourself, even if you are learning tunes from someone else who is accomplished as in this case, significantly limits how much you can improve and grow. Especially if you just concentrate on one style. It's a good exercise but limiting in several ways. Just MHO.

The one thing I got really good at when I was in an original band was arguing with everyone! :slash:

For me, it's all about the leads and trying to improve on them. I'll play a lead 300 times until I get one I like. And then listen back anther 300 times, and if I'm really ambitious I re-learn what I did until I can play it flawlessly. It's really not that easy to keep coming up with something that is original and memorable. If I can do that a few times a year along with some killer riffs then I'm happy. I push myself sometimes until I'm injured. It's an obsession. I can see where JimmyAce gets his satisfaction with it. Some people really don't need to be out there playing live.

It's all about what makes you happy. Honestly, at this point in my life I can't deal with being in a band. And I sure as hell can't deal with playing songs I don't like. One of my best friends is a drummer and for every original song I want to write and record he wants to cover a motley crue song, or even worse a newer band that immitates them. Sorry I can't do that. So I'm relegated to my studio working on my own stuff

Jimmi

Reaction score
Agree about doing what makes you happy. Sometimes arguing is productive but if you were doing it too much you were just with the wrong group of guys.

For me, I actually can't be bothered now with learning others leads. I will figure out parts or licks I like and want to include in my stuff, but I put my own spin on it. I have been that way since I was in my late teens. When I was first staring, I would learn them note for note. But, the players I admire don't play the same thing every time. They have a general starting point or idea and do it different everytime....ie there is no perfect do why should I? Just a different take. If I play covers, I will learn the chords, main progression etc and that is a starting point. I will usually have a starting point I use to get into the lead parts and an idea of where I want to end up but everything in between is made up as I go. Pretty much like a jazz or blues player. I mean, in this context, the first LZ album was about half covers, but it isn't like Page copied thier stuff note for note. He made their material his (almost literally given they initially did not give writing credits lol).

The one thing I got really good at when I was in an original band was arguing with everyone! :slash:

For me, it's all about the leads and trying to improve on them. I'll play a lead 300 times until I get one I like. And then listen back anther 300 times, and if I'm really ambitious I re-learn what I did until I can play it flawlessly. It's really not that easy to keep coming up with something that is original and memorable. If I can do that a few times a year along with some killer riffs then I'm happy. I push myself sometimes until I'm injured. It's an obsession. I can see where JimmyAce gets his satisfaction with it. Some people really don't need to be out there playing live.

It's all about what makes you happy. Honestly, at this point in my life I can't deal with being in a band. And I sure as hell can't deal with playing songs I don't like. One of my best friends is a drummer and for every original song I want to write and record he wants to cover a motley crue song, or even worse a newer band that immitates them. Sorry I can't do that. So I'm relegated to my studio working on my own stuff

JimmyAce2006

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

So of all those covers I did, you think that is just one style? You think you can put Page into one category? Maybe not everyone wants to grow and learn things constantly. Some people just have fun doing whatever. As in this case, collecting, buying, selling, playing, etc. I don't know why you are dead bent on derailing this thread with this argument. I think you made your point several times already. No need to repeat it again. :thumb:

And by the way, I also did a few covers of other guitarists. But I did not include them because I did not want to. I posted what I wanted to post.

Jimmi

Reaction score
So of all those covers I did, you think that is just one style? You think you can put Page into one category? Maybe not everyone wants to grow and learn things constantly. Some people just have fun doing whatever. As in this case, collecting, buying, selling, playing, etc. I don't know why you are dead bent on derailing this thread with this argument. I think you made your point several times already. No need to repeat it again. :thumb:

And by the way, I also did a few covers of other guitarists. But I did not include them because I did not want to. I posted what I wanted to post.

I responded to someone who quoted me. Sorry you are displeased. For the record, at one point in HS i had learned nearly every song off the first 5 LZ albums. Page does have a specific style as most do but not the point of the thread.

Last post in your thread.

Latest Threads