410 vs 112 or 212

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE BAD ASS
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back in the 90s, I had a Marshall 410 slant for the JCM600. Stupidly, I sold it, and have never been able to find a replacement, and sinceI can't make my own comparison, I thought I'd ask here.

So, in your experience, or based on your knowledge, would I see an appreciable difference in having a 410 cabinet (closed) built vs the 112 cabinets and combos that I presently have?

What about a 212?

I only play at home, at low volumes, and I'm curious if I would achieve a fuller sound with a 410??

Thank You in advance.

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I built an open-back 4-10 to pair with my oak Carvin X100 1-12. I used Carvin VL-10 speakers.
I actually ended up using it primarily with my Blues Junior... the BJ's cabinet is just too small for a 12, they should have put a 10 in it.

VERY full tone.
I built a little thing that used a 12ax7 as an output tube that I called the "Micro Thang"... it might have been 1/10th watt. No controls... just on and off, the guitar was the volume control.
Sounded great, at conversational level through that 410.

cherrysunburst00

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I built an open-back 4-10 to pair with my oak Carvin X100 1-12. I used Carvin VL-10 speakers.
I actually ended up using it primarily with my Blues Junior... the BJ's cabinet is just too small for a 12, they should have put a 10 in it.

VERY full tone.
I built a little thing that used a 12ax7 as an output tube that I called the "Micro Thang"... it might have been 1/10th watt. No controls... just on and off, the guitar was the volume control.
Sounded great, at conversational level through that 410.
BAD ASS :p :p :p :p
That's the sort of intel I was wanting.

Thanks Brother.

hbucker

Reaction score
Stating the obvious, I think the cab being good or bad depends on the speakers you put in it. Regardless of size.

But... I once owned a closed Traynor 410 cab that started out life as a bass cab. I ran my PV Classic 100 through it and it really, really sounded nice. It was less directional than the 12" setups I've had. Much more subtle/dimensional in its tones. The speakers were old and designed for bass... so I get it. But I have to say that more times than not, I'm super impressed with the sound of a 210 or 410 setup whenever I play it.

It was a big cab though. Bigger than I needed. So I sold it.

I currently have a 212 closed cab that sounds just fine. There was something about that 410 that I haven't been able to recapture though.

The Ballzz

Reaction score
4-10s have a great sound,its hard to find a bad tone (given the enclosure is good).
I love Super Reverbs and tweed Bassmans.

To add to what he said, I absolutely love my Marshall 1965B, 4X10, closed back, but I too love the 4x10 Bassman and Super Reverb! More girth and fatness, yet nice and tight, not squishey, floppy or jiggly!

There Ya Go & There Ya Have It,
Gene

Meatwad

Reaction score
My favorite amp of all time, and the only one of my old gigging tube amps that I've held onto is a Fender Prosonic.

It has two custom 10" Celestions that sound fantastic, and it's loud AF, even in the lowest wattage setting.
It can do everything from squeaky cleans to over the top gain and everything in between.

The Ballzz

Reaction score
I'll just leave this here... :slash:

Yeah, but when factor in the new price (you can usually get 10%-15% off) of a genuine Fender, it hardly makes sense!

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/65SuperRev--fender-65-super-reverb-45-watt-4x10-inch-tube-combo-amp

Although I will admit to not having seen any gut shots of those two "new" Fenders.

I MAY have a line on a Marshall 1965A :run:
If its still got the original G10L-35s, definitely snag it if you can. They are becoming as rare as hen's teeth! Don't be too dosappointed if you find that its one of most of the slant front 1965A boxes that aren't actually a slant baffle, but that the slant front is juat a facade. They sound great and with the OEM speakers, weigh in at around 35 pounds!

My favorite amp of all time, and the only one of my old gigging tube amps that I've held onto is a Fender Prosonic.

It has two custom 10" Celestions that sound fantastic, and it's loud AF, even in the lowest wattage setting.
It can do everything from squeaky cleans to over the top gain and everything in between.

And yeah, although I've never experienced one, those Prosonics are pretty legendary and fairly rare!

You'll Love It!
Gene

cherrysunburst00

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

My Brutha Meatwad gave me a line on a 1965A 4x10; I pulled the trigger Friday night, and it was shipped Saturday AM

cherrysunburst00

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but when factor in the new price (you can usually get 10%-15% off) of a genuine Fender, it hardly makes sense!

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/65SuperRev--fender-65-super-reverb-45-watt-4x10-inch-tube-combo-amp

Although I will admit to not having seen any gut shots of those two "new" Fenders.

If its still got the original G10L-35s, definitely snag it if you can. They are becoming as rare as hen's teeth! Don't be too dosappointed if you find that its one of most of the slant front 1965A boxes that aren't actually a slant baffle, but that the slant front is juat a facade. They sound great and with the OEM speakers, weigh in at around 35 pounds!

And yeah, although I've never experienced one, those Prosonics are pretty legendary and fairly rare!

You'll Love It!
Gene
Yes, Seller indicated G10-L

Seller was AWESOME. I asked for additional pics and he complied in less than 1 hour

Pics until it arrives:

410 Front.jpeg.png

410 side.jpg

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

RoHS lead-free solder (prone to failure), and AFAIK, the standard tweed models are PC construction. You get the hand-wired on eyelet-board on the higher end series... $3k for a 5E8-A Twin, $2k for a 5E3 Deluxe, and $1k a 5F1 Champ.
Fully assembled and tested, Mojotone is $1345 for the Twin, $1150 for the Deluxe, and $825 for the Champ.

Bassman fully assembled and tested is $1375, but the kit is $1025. Most of us here are capable of assembling that kit.

The Ballzz

Reaction score
RoHS lead-free solder (prone to failure), and AFAIK, the standard tweed models are PC construction. You get the hand-wired on eyelet-board on the higher end series... $3k for a 5E8-A Twin, $2k for a 5E3 Deluxe, and $1k a 5F1 Champ.
Fully assembled and tested, Mojotone is $1345 for the Twin, $1150 for the Deluxe, and $825 for the Champ.

Bassman fully assembled and tested is $1375, but the kit is $1025. Most of us here are capable of assembling that kit.

Very good points there. As mentioned, I've not yet seen the "guts" of any of the new Fenders, but thought that some of them were actually standard tag board construction. If PCB, then yuck! Fully agreed on that lead free solder! And sure enough, building can be quite a rewarding experience, in multiple ways! Even if the actual "$aving$" is not all that much when compared to buying a properly functioning used unit.

Yes, Seller indicated G10-L

Seller was AWESOME. I asked for additional pics and he complied in less than 1 hour

Pics until it arrives:

View attachment 520841

View attachment 520842

Congrats on finding a stellar example of that cab. Given it's condition, anything +/- $400-ish or below is a really good snag! Looks like the grill cloth may have been nicely replaced, but I guess that may depend on the year and/or what head it was originally paired with? If you'll be moving it around a lot, you may want to consider upgrading the handles to something like these:

Or even these for a bit le$$:

Would require a bit of simple surgery, but if you're even mildly skilled at such, a total piece of cake!

Happy Soon To Be NCD,
Gene

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very good points there. As mentioned, I've not yet seen the "guts" of any of the new Fenders, but thought that some of them were actually standard tag board construction. If PCB, then yuck! Fully agreed on that lead free solder! And sure enough, building can be quite a rewarding experience, in multiple ways! Even if the actual "$aving$" is not all that much when compared to buying a properly functioning used unit.
Ya, and a savings of $300 on the Bassman compared to the MJT-assembled version isn't enough of a savings to make it worth the time and effort for a lot of people.
The cabinet, speakers, and iron make up the bulk of the cost in any of these kits... The labor is comparable for any of these old Fender designs.
It's the smaller kits like the 5F1, 5f2-A, and 5E3 where the labor cost gets to be a higher percentage of the cost and it becomes more worthwhile to DIY.

The nice thing about Mojotone is the variety... Just in Fender circuits, they offer 9 tweed, 2 brown, and 7 blackface, plus the tube reverb unit.
Fender offers only 3 tweed and 2 blackface in the hand-wired line.

cherrysunburst00

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Congrats on finding a stellar example of that cab. Given it's condition, anything +/- $400-ish or below is a really good snag! Looks like the grill cloth may have been nicely replaced, but I guess that may depend on the year and/or what head it was originally paired with? If you'll be moving it around a lot, you may want to consider upgrading the handles to something like these:

Or even these for a bit le$$:

Would require a bit of simple surgery, but if you're even mildly skilled at such, a total piece of cake!

Happy Soon To Be NCD,
Gene
YUPPERS, the grill cloth was replaced.

I'm strictly a strictly at-home player, so no need to modify the handles.

But I still appreciate you looking out for me :)

Ya, and a savings of $300 on the Bassman compared to the MJT-assembled version isn't enough of a savings to make it worth the time and effort for a lot of people.
The cabinet, speakers, and iron make up the bulk of the cost in any of these kits... The labor is comparable for any of these old Fender designs.
It's the smaller kits like the 5F1, 5f2-A, and 5E3 where the labor cost gets to be a higher percentage of the cost and it becomes more worthwhile to DIY.

The nice thing about Mojotone is the variety... Just in Fender circuits, they offer 9 tweed, 2 brown, and 7 blackface, plus the tube reverb unit.
Fender offers only 3 tweed and 2 blackface in the hand-wired line.
I've been wanting to try an amp kit build. I'll need the easiest :laugh2:

The Studio 1 is my think, sound-wise. But I'm a bit scared by all the guys who have had some things not fitting. One day I'll work up the gumption to try one.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
would I see an appreciable difference in having a 410 cabinet (closed) built vs the 112 cabinets and combos that I presently have?
I don't know what you presently have but if you are comparing a closed back 4x10 to an open back anything, ya, you'll hear a massive difference. Closed back cabs sound very different than open backs, even with the same size and speaker. Change the size of the speaker, the size of the cab, and multiply the quantity of speakers by four and you're talking absolutely night and day different.

Latest Threads