3D Printers are pretty rad

ejendres

Reaction score
Used the Stratasys at work to print up a drill guide. The ABS is very tough and holds up really nice against the drill. Really really happy with how this worked.

I've seen guys freehand access holes like this but I never really have been comfortable with trying that. This neck is going to nicely to risk with one hole.

The Ballzz

Reaction score
@enjendres
Could you just imagine having seen a 3-D printer in action in the late '50s or even as recent as the '70s? It would have seemed like voo-doo!

Nice work, what wood is that?

Amazing Times We Live In,
Gene

ejendres

Reaction score
@enjendres
Could you just imagine having seen a 3-D printer in action in the late '50s or even as recent as the '70s? It would have seemed like voo-doo!

Nice work, what wood is that?

Amazing Times We Live In,
Gene
Yeah dude. I work as an engineer and I think about how different it would have been even in the 90s to do what I do. It’s a good time to be creating.

The neck blank is roasted maple.

pshupe

Reaction score
Great idea. Now I have to put a 3d printer on my wish list along with a laser cutter.

Cheers Peter.

The Ballzz

Reaction score
Yeah dude. I work as an engineer and I think about how different it would have been even in the 90s to do what I do. It’s a good time to be creating.

The neck blank is roasted maple.
WOW!
That grain (not the color) almost makes it look like some sort of a pine/spruce.
Nice Stuff!
Gene

ejendres

Reaction score
Great idea. Now I have to put a 3d printer on my wish list along with a laser cutter.

Cheers Peter.
Hey man, I can print you stuff at work. For small stuff the rate is really reasonable.

ejendres

Reaction score
WOW!
That grain (not the color) almost makes it look like some sort of a pine/spruce.
Nice Stuff!
Gene
Yeah dude. Roasted maple is my go to for necks. Super stable, sounds great, looks amazing.

It’s a bitch to sand though lol

The Ballzz

Reaction score
WOW!
You made an offer to pshupe for some 3D printing! I really need something, but all the shops want a bundle for drawing/setup even though it's simple and their printing fee is actually reasonable. What I need is 4 pickup covers (just like Strat covers) but to fit Telecaster bridge pickups. My Triple Tele uses bridge pups in all three positions and the high E gets stuck under the edge of the bobbin on the neck and middle pups!
Just Curious?
Gene

greenhorn

Reaction score
Nice!

Drill it a bit bigger and insert a brass (or whatever) sleeve and it’ll probably last indefinitely for anything but mass production.

Tweaker

Reaction score
That's a rad idea for sure...I am in the planning stage of a Les Paul build and since I have a 3D printer at my disposal, I might have to model something like this up as well!

My dad and I have been 3D printing all sorts of things over the last couple of years...we've had a lot of fun with flexible filament. Totally weird stuff.

ejendres

Reaction score
WOW!
You made an offer to pshupe for some 3D printing! I really need something, but all the shops want a bundle for drawing/setup even though it's simple and their printing fee is actually reasonable. What I need is 4 pickup covers (just like Strat covers) but to fit Telecaster bridge pickups. My Triple Tele uses bridge pups in all three positions and the high E gets stuck under the edge of the bobbin on the neck and middle pups!
Just Curious?
Gene
Do you have a CAD model?

The Ballzz

Reaction score
Do you have a CAD model?
I do not have a CAD drawing, and I'm not sure I have the capabilities of making one. I do however have a version of Sketchup Pro on my old computer that supports the feature of importing a Sketchup file and then "Save As" either DWG or DXF. Not certain how well it will work in this case, but I can dig in and give it a try. It'll take a few days to get to it and I would likely need for us to share real email addresses, through a Private Message, so I can send you the file. Also, what part of the planet are you located in?
Thank You,
Gene

Tweaker

Reaction score
I do not have a CAD drawing, and I'm not sure I have the capabilities of making one. I do however have a version of Sketchup Pro on my old computer that supports the feature of importing a Sketchup file and then "Save As" either DWG or DXF. Not certain how well it will work in this case, but I can dig in and give it a try. It'll take a few days to get to it and I would likely need for us to share real email addresses, through a Private Message, so I can send you the file. Also, what part of the planet are you located in?
Thank You,
Gene
Gene...I'd be happy to model the pickup rings for you, or at the very least give it a shot. I do a lot of this stuff for fun. PM me if you want to chat.

pshupe

Reaction score
Thank You,
Gene
Tweaker beat me to it. Moi aussi! I'm starting to think about some stuff I'd like to print.

Cheers Peter.