3D Printed Gun Company....

PraXis

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
No! Make a 3d printer and sell it!..doh!

hasselhoff.gif

sonar1

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
...There are all sorts of ways to create firearms using very common hand tools... and metal working isn't exactly rocket science,...

Exactly.

The early Kalashnikovs were machined, but that soon gave way to stamped out versions of the most widely manufactured weapon on the planet, the ubiquitous AK-47: cranked out in millions by anyone with the most basic mechanical aptitude and a set of calipers, especially if sponsored by like minded "Comrades."

What it may (with some examples) lack in accuracy, it more than makes up for in simple fool-proof ruggedness and numbers built.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
What these "rebels" clearly aren't considering is that anyone downloading this wanting to circumvent government control of firearms will have left an electronic trail by downloading the plans.

geochem1st

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
What these "rebels" clearly aren't considering is that anyone downloading this wanting to circumvent government control of firearms will have left an electronic trail by downloading the plans.

Not if you torrent the plans and download anonymously at any internet cafe, or at your leisure while waiting in the jet blue lounge while you wait for a plane, or if your are sophisticated through a computer that runs a microsoft OS that you have commandeered through a backdoor trojan program.

geochem1st

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It is not a crime to build your own firearm. People do it all the time:

quentin-laser.com

Plans to make the .50 cal Barrett type Sniper Rifle have been on the net for download for years.... and people have made them. In NC, as long as its not a machine gun, or select fire weapon, manufacture is not controlled.

PraXis

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Plans to make the .50 cal Barrett type Sniper Rifle have been on the net for download for years.... and people have made them. In NC, as long as its not a machine gun, or select fire weapon, manufacture is not controlled.

Yea, I think you need the same BATF form if you plan to make something in SF or FA.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
Not if you torrent the plans and download anonymously at any internet cafe, or at your leisure while waiting in the jet blue lounge while you wait for a plane, or if your are sophisticated through a computer that runs a microsoft OS that you have commandeered through a backdoor trojan program.

My point was that if they're doing this in order to circumvent government control, it's a losing game. As is seen in China, it's not terribly hard to exert government power in cyberspace. That would mean that if their premise (that government power is overweening) is correct, this would endanger free access to information, as the government hustles to shut down channels that are difficult to follow.

Fardwark

Horrible Porridge Gobbler
Reaction score
Getting closer to the Replicator.

photo.picardtea.jpg

Although I would command, "Whisky. Lots!"

Comanche

Reaction score
It is not a crime to build your own firearm. People do it all the time:

quentin-laser.com

Ed Oliver
© 2000 WorldNetDaily.com

Agents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms raided the Mesa, Ariz., home and workshop of a manufacturer who makes .50-caliber rifle kits, holding the man without bail at the Durango Jail in Phoenix.

BATF spokesman Tom Mangan told WorldNetDaily that Robert Stewart was arrested Friday for felony possession of firearms after agents found 38 weapons, including machine guns, inside his home.

Stewart's Maadi-Griffin .50-caliber rifles are shipped to customers as a parts kit, the assembly of which requires a small amount of machining. The kit guns are significantly cheaper than assembled rifles and come without serial numbers.

According to Mangin, the BATF Firearms Technology Branch in Washington, D.C., determined that the kits Stewart is selling are firearms because they are easily assembled into guns. Because Stewart had a previous felony conviction for possession of a machine gun, he is not allowed to own or possess any firearms, according to federal law.

"That was basically the premise for obtaining a search warrant to get inside his residence," Mangan explained.

"Once we did get inside, agents found a number of guns. We found six machine guns, including one Uzi, a Sten gun and one street sweeper," Mangan said. "There were approximately six .50-caliber kit guns in various stages, some complete, some not complete. There were 17 rifles and eight pistols, including semiautomatics and revolvers."

When asked if the weapons found by the BATF belong to Stewart, Mangan said that remained to be determined, but that the issue was irrelevant because Stewart is a convicted felon and is not supposed to have any weapons at all inside his home.

"If he's a felon, he shouldn't be possessing a .22-caliber pistol, let alone having machine guns inside his residence." Mangan said the issue as to whether the kits were legally firearms or not will make a unique case because it is a gray area of the law.

Stewart's wife, Naomi, and his attorney, James Burgess, did not return calls.

WorldNetDaily spoke to the well-known and highly-decorated former Green Beret/talk show host, Bo Gritz, who is a friend of the Stewarts. Mrs. Stewart, who was briefly handcuffed during the raid, told Gritz the federal agents were at the house from 7 a.m. until about 5:30 p.m., and confiscated all their records and inventory, according to Gritz. Bob Stewart was taken away at about 4 p.m.

According to Gritz, Naomi Stewart said that when the BATF claimed to find about 40 guns in their house, her husband Bob whispered into her ear: "Those are not our guns; they're planting those guns."

Gritz told WorldNetDaily the Stewarts were living in Utah about six years ago when Bob Stewart was featured on two magazine covers with his self-designed rifle. The BATF subsequently raided his store and asked him to stop building the Maadi-Griffin. He refused to comply, based on the Second Amendment.

A couple of days later, according to Gritz, two men entered Stewart's shop with an AR-15 and asked him to "tighten the scope." As soon as Stewart applied a screwdriver to the weapon, the two men pulled out their ATF badges and arrested him because the AR-15 had been modified to fire fully automatically.

"Now they had him working on an illegal machine gun," said Gritz. "His wife told me they didn't have a lawyer, and the government talked them into plea bargaining."

The resulting felony charge made Stewart unable legally to possess a firearm, leaving him facing a 10-year sentence for each gun reportedly found in his home on Friday.

Gritz said Naomi Stewart told him that the BATF threatened her with a paper allegedly containing her signature, which could serve as evidence that the Stewarts were manufacturing machine guns. Mrs. Stewart has her parents staying with her in case the BATF decides to come back and arrest her.

Gritz said Bob Stewart makes $144 per gun. He praised the Maadi-Griffin as "an awesome gun" that is made of the finest materials and craftsmanship, yet is affordable. He believes that combination made it only a matter of time before the ATF came to get Stewart.

DRF

Reaction score
I heard about 3D printing like only a month ago and at first thought it was a joke in the science fiction realm,here it is a month later for me and its already in normal vocabulary. As far as printing guns I think its funny as hell. As you all know not in every country in the world has guns as readily available as in the U.S. and the idea of "just printing one off" is a riot.

One side of me is hesitant as I don't want every twat in Canada printing them out,but after the big Liberal gun control crunch of the 80's and early 90's the mere thought of it all makes me giggle. It was mostly because of big eastern urbanite centers that crucified legal gun owners and demonized them. A billion dollar registration fiasco that was to only cost in the millions...which has since been cancelled.

Anyway,technolgy is taking us down crazy roads...I'm sure there will be new laws,stiffer laws,this n that but its damn funny. Ever see the vids of kids getting a steel tube,a bullet and using a fricken BB gun shooting its BB as a firing pin?. Dangerous and inventive little bastards. Now, perhaps in the near future they can print out a gun (oh and the prices of these printers will come down one day) and,well,you can't keep an inventive crazy inquiring mind down.

cwness

Reaction score
One of my clients has been using a Z printer for years to cut cost on manufacturing a part
they are trying to sell before they pay the cost of tooling up. That said even after they
apply the hardner I would never shoot it. I may be out of the loop but can they print
metal now?

CW

PraXis

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
One of my clients has been using a Z printer for years to cut cost on manufacturing a part
they are trying to sell before they pay the cost of tooling up. That said even after they
apply the hardner I would never shoot it. I may be out of the loop but can they print
metal now?

CW

I don't know about actually printing metal, but you could easily machine any part you need with a fancy mill setup...NOT cheap though.. AT ALL.

cwness

Reaction score
I don't know about actually printing metal, but you could easily machine any part you need with a fancy mill setup...NOT cheap though.. AT ALL.

I built a 5 axis cnc router from plans I got off the internet for about 8g's and
a cnc plasma cut also. They are not manufacturer grade but they sure save
time on making farm parts. I cut a bunch of steel targets for the range a couple
weeks ago and saved a ton. I see what you mean.

CW

bertzie

Reaction score
You can 3d print metal, just not in the way they do plastic. And it's not something any old bum can do in their garage.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20R9nItDmPY]How It's Made 3D Metal Printing - YouTube[/ame]

cwness

Reaction score
Is this strong enough to with stand shooting a cartridge. Maybe a small? I don't think
I'm test firing it.

CW

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
What if 3D printers start to print more 3D printers. ...then realize that they need humans to man the power plants and manufacture the toner?

Can't print humans though. They must be farmed.

sonar1

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this strong enough to with stand shooting a cartridge. Maybe a small? I don't think
I'm test firing it.

CW

Lots of polymer parts guns out there.

You could make a polymer gun on the printer sans barrel, then just order a steel barrel from Brownells, or somebody? Might need a spring for the magazine (and hammer?). I suppose a steel firing pin too.

Latest Threads