335 studio 2018- Opinions

eyeface

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Been away from the forum for a while! In the market for a new guitar, and I've always loved es 335s. I'm getting towards a financial position where I can afford something fairly decent, and, having had a 335 copy for the last 20 odd years that I've loved, I think it's the way to go.

However, the sensible side of me is leaning towards the 335 studio. I don't mind the bling that's missing, but that aside, quality wise, is it more or less the same as the standard 335?

Another of my concerns is quality control- I've heard some not so great things about Gibsons of late, and wonder if this is the case? I bought a midtown standard about four years ago, and unfortunately, it kinda backs up what some other folks have said.

Any opinions would be very welcome!

Cjsinla

Premium Member
Reaction score
There’s good ones and bad ones from every year, just try a few if possible.

wmachine

Reaction score
I have a 2016 Studio (and other Gibson 335s) and can tell you there is nothing lesser in the materials, build, and quality of the Studios vs the "regular" 335s. As you say, it is just the bling. So you do indeed have more bang for the buck. But as with all 335s, there is a relatively wide variation from one to the next when trying to find a good one. Aside from quality issues that do pop up to be on the lookout for, there is still this variation. Not from bad to good, but from good to better. Play as many as you can get your hands on (regular 335s too) and grab a good one!

bwillard

Reaction score
I have a ES-335 Studio and I LOVE it! The studio version is a little bit different on the ES-335 than on the regular Les Paul Studios. The body is bound, but it is black binding. The fret board, however, isn't bound. They also used Torrified Maple on the fret board instead of Rosewood. I own both an ES-335 and a ES-335 Studio. I think that I like the studio better! Here is a picture of mine:

Gar

Reaction score
Each year the 335 studio seems to change specs. 1 pick up, 2 pick ups 2 knobs, 4 knobs etc. The 2019/2020 studio has a white pin stripe on the front binding and a rosewood board. They look especially good in black to me.

mdubya

Reaction score
Yep, Studios are different spec, year to year. Some have binding, some don't, some have maple necks instead of mahogany, and there isn't a damn thing wrong with that.

335's are less expensive on the used market than ever before.

There are some pretty nice MIJ models out there, too, but they aren't as good of a bargain as they used to be.

You can get a recent Standard or Dot Reissue for less than $2K at this point.

OP, you missed the 2017 CME blowout. They were giving them away.

eyeface

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your help and advice. Looks like an absolute steal for under 800usd! Thinking I might have to spend more than double that!

Going to have to start trying some now!

Pop1655

Premium Member
Reaction score
I had one and was very pleased with it. In the end it was redundant, as it didn't put my Tokai in the closet, but it was certainly a nice piece.

Not the question you asked and certainly just my own opinion, but stumbling onto my Tokai has now ended my 335 search for the duraton.

AlanBiker

Reaction score
In September 2018 I bought a 335 Dot from GuitarGuitar in Birmingham (UK) for £1399. Wine red with black binding on the body and neck and Burstbucker pups, Rosewood fretboard with Grover tuners and I love it.

Alan

wmachine

Reaction score
I wish i had bought morw on the cme blowout. Just a 335 limited Turquoise. I think was $1500?
Nice. Love the turquoise finish. Yep, I wish I had bought more at the CME sale now as well..
Don't mean to hijack this thread, but suffice to say I bought enough at that CME sale to not have that regret.

BrianB

Reaction score
I've got a 2017 Studio that I got in the CME blowout, and I absolutely love it. And as mdubya says, they were "giving them away" in that CME sale. I got mine brand new for $760.

I came sooooooo very close to pulling the trigger on one of those. Kicking myself I didn't now.

mdubya

Reaction score
I came sooooooo very close to pulling the trigger on one of those. Kicking myself I didn't now.
The market is still soft from it. You can get used ES's for ~ what CME listed these for. Maybe a few hundred more, but well below where used prices were prior to the CME sale.

BrianB

Reaction score
The market is still soft from it. You can get used ES's for ~ what CME listed these for. Maybe a few hundred more, but well below where used prices were prior to the CME sale.
I've seen a few here and there, mostly Reverb, a couple locally on CL for around $1000 to 1200. I had a suspicion they came thru CME and got flipped for a bit more than what they were bought for. Good for them if so.

I really didn't/don't *need* a semi-hollow, and was on the hunt for a straight acoustic archtop at that time.

wmachine

Reaction score
I was very fortunate in 2 ways when it came to that sale. It was a relatively large amount over a relatively long period of time, and I could afford at the time to buy them. When the sale started, I quickly could tell this was one hell of a deal, so I researched them to make sure these models were decent and not just being unloaded because overall quality sucked.
Confident they were, indeed good, in fact really good, I decided to pick out one, setting my sights pretty high (considering this was my first Gibson ES). I went with a '64 ES-345 TDC Maestro VOS Sixties Cherry. Totally blew me away, not a thing wrong with it. For a very short time, I thought I was done. That was end of Sept 2017. But as I was starting to realize, this may be a once in a lifetime opportunity. I felt I could at least get my money out of whatever I bought, so I said why not, and set my sights on other models. Over time, I bought a bunch, the last one scraping the bottom of the CME barrel in the middle of May 2018. So that was a long time to pick and chose.
Even now, I'm still glad I dove in.

mdubya

Reaction score
I was very fortunate in 2 ways when it came to that sale. It was a relatively large amount over a relatively long period of time, and I could afford at the time to buy them. When the sale started, I quickly could tell this was one hell of a deal, so I researched them to make sure these models were decent and not just being unloaded because overall quality sucked.
Confident they were, indeed good, in fact really good, I decided to pick out one, setting my sights pretty high (considering this was my first Gibson ES). I went with a '64 ES-345 TDC Maestro VOS Sixties Cherry. Totally blew me away, not a thing wrong with it. For a very short time, I thought I was done. That was end of Sept 2017. But as I was starting to realize, this may be a once in a lifetime opportunity. I felt I could at least get my money out of whatever I bought, so I said why not, and set my sights on other models. Over time, I bought a bunch, the last one scraping the bottom of the CME barrel in the middle of May 2018. So that was a long time to pick and chose.
Even now, I'm still glad I dove in.
Yep. :thumb:

I bought an ES LP in September 2017 before I realized they were blowing out Historic Reissue ES 335's too.

I may have bought the very last '59 RI in March 2018.

I wish I had bought a P-90 ES LP, too.

And a '63 ES 335 RI.

And a '58 ES 335 RI.

And one of those '64 ES 345 RI's like you have, too. :lol:

If anyone wants to sell me an ES Les Paul Goldtop with P-90's for CME prices, my ears and wallet are open!

rxbandit

Reaction score
Anybody looking for a screaming deal on a 335, this is it! Not a Gibson, but a great example of a 335 at a true giveaway price! :wow: And from a very trustworthy seller. Somebody buy this!

That's a stunner! What's the, erm, history on History guitars? It's pretty hard to google, I keep finding info on the history of the Gibson ES-335