30,000-Pound Bomb

sonar1

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was prolly done by OWS protesters who work for free.

How many OWS protestors with a box of crayolas does it take to pass a security test?

I'll bet THAT took some time.

I think when the extras turn up at Army/Navy surplus stores there's gonna be a whole new look to Bonneville salt-flat racers.

geochem1st

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Err, just read the specs and see it is loaded with just over 5000lb of explosives. Well, the Royal Airforce was dropping bombs nearly twice that size in 1944. OVER 60 YEARS AGO.
It was called the Grandslam and was dropped by Lancaster bombers. 9000lb fill of explosive in a 22000lb bomb. Also known as the Earthquake bomb. Each one cost ten shillings and a meatpie for the chap what poured in the hot liquid torpex. I think you all is wasting yous money. Sorry to spoil yer excitement and all.

You're correct.

It doesn't make a tremendously huge explosion like most would think. Most of the mass is used for penetration to get well below the surface, not in the warhead.

So we are paying for fancy electronics and lots of reinforced concrete.

Hamtone

Reaction score
You're correct.

It doesn't make a tremendously huge explosion like most would think. Most of the mass is used for penetration to get well below the surface, not in the warhead.

The specs they arent telling you about are; It is probably a full on tungsten penetrator or depleted uranian spear, and not just some lump of steel like they had in ww2.

I have held a spear from a sabo round. Its aboput 16" long and about 1" thick but it weighs about 25 lbs. The size of it versus the weight is almost a mind fk. There is a lot more to this than it just being heavy.

Job-Job type Job

Reaction score
$15,700,000 per bomb. I don't know much about the cost of military equipment, but I sure hope they decide to use those judiciously.

Off topic. I just noticed your signature, Rich. :dude::dude::dude:

Oh, and hell of a bomb. :shock:

geochem1st

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The specs they arent telling you about are; It is probably a full on tungsten penetrator or depleted uranian spear, and not just some lump of steel like they had in ww2.

I have held a spear from a sabo round. Its aboput 16" long and about 1" thick but it weighs about 25 lbs. The size of it versus the weight is almost a mind fk. There is a lot more to this than it just being heavy.

Thats why I used the term mass. Mass = density * volume. Depleted uranium is very massive. We can crank that stuff out with reactor waste. Tungsten on the other hand is pricey.

hipofutura

Reaction score
You're correct.

Wouldn't it simply be a matter of jamming GPS signals around the target? Do that, and it's anyone's guess where the damn thing would land. "Recalculating"!

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
The whole point of this bomb is not the amount of explosives and creating the biggest blast ever. This is about penetrating solid rock, concrete or steel, and then trigger an explosion. Drop a regular bomb on a mountain and the bunkers underneath will just feel slight tremors. This is about busting bunkers way deep under ground / rock

geochem1st

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't it simply be a matter of jamming GPS signals around the target? Do that, and it's anyone's guess where the damn thing would land. "Recalculating"!

Much harder to do than you think.

Hamtone

Reaction score

More off topic but to address this: China has (or is close) to being able to drop satellites with missiles. This would drop our military into a real problem to take out 4 of our gp2 sats simultaneously :shock:

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
Err, just read the specs and see it is loaded with just over 5000lb of explosives. Well, the Royal Airforce was dropping bombs nearly twice that size in 1944. OVER 60 YEARS AGO.
It was called the Grandslam and was dropped by Lancaster bombers. 9000lb fill of explosive in a 22000lb bomb. Also known as the Earthquake bomb. Each one cost ten shillings and a meatpie for the chap what poured in the hot liquid torpex. I think you all is wasting yous money. Sorry to spoil yer excitement and all.

You realize that different munitions are designed for different mission, right? Penetrating ordinance needs inert weight to do its job. The Grand Slam, Blockbuster, and Cookie bombs were designed for leveling surface structures with large shock waves. Hitler's bunker was intact despite the leveling of the Chancellery above it.

12watt

Reaction score
You realize that different munitions are designed for different mission, right? Penetrating ordinance needs inert weight to do its job. The Grand Slam, Blockbuster, and Cookie bombs were designed for leveling surface structures with large shock waves. Hitler's bunker was intact despite the leveling of the Chancellery above it.

Thanks, I know the next time I'm planning on doing a bit of destroying
the Führer's bunker, I'll make sure I use the right tool for the job.

Latest Threads