3 Pickup Single Cut flat top... why not!!

H.E.L.Shane

Reaction score
Well... I said screw it and decided to put three pickups in my latest experimental build..

And.. I'll admit.. this was in part becasue some dumbass forgot to drill the pickup connector hole before setting the neck...... It was going to be a junior style with two pickups to test out some new templates..... so i was thinking Jr. and totally bogarted the hole.. :D

ANYWAY... through a Face book banter session.. BCR Greg suggested three pickups why not!!

THEN. .. I decided.. If im gonna do that... I might as well be really stupid and add a a superswitch to it for coil splitting....

THEN I thought... I didnt put any internal routing in it for a selector switch in the standard LP position... wait... why not use a Tele control plate and put the swithc on that, then modify my Jr pickguard for this configuration???

Sooooooooo I also said screw the wraparound bridge....

What we are gonna end up with is:

1 3/4" thick single cut body 1" of walnut 3/4" flamed maple top
Mahogany neck, 24.75" scale. 14" radius, bound Ebony Board, Mini trap inlays, SS frets
Nicklel Hardware: Tonepros Kulson Tuners, Tone Pros locking Bridge, Stop tail with TonPros Steel locking studs.
Nickel Tele control plate with Push Pull volume pot
Pups will be B) Duncan Alternative 8 M) Duncan Custom 5 and N) Duncan Jazz

Pickp selection with the switch will be:

Bridge Full
Brige / Mid split
Mid full
mid / neck split
Neck full

Engaging the push pull volume will kill the mid pup giving single coil bridge and neck in positions 2 and 4

Here we go!!!! :thumb:

2012-09-19225013-1_zps4f588804.jpg

dougk

Reaction score
Personally? My favorite LPs are 3 pup black beauty's! My two favorite Daylighter Standards were both 3 pickup ones... you have my stamp of approval ;)

rockdog

Reaction score
Although I would say "3 pickups' 2 too much", it sounds like an interesting project. I'm in!

bruce bennett

Banned
Reaction score
its always interesting to see what can come out of a "mistake"

I like it!

JMV

Reaction score
That's going to be a hell of a Junior! :applause:

I like it when mistakes come together to make something cool.

lee1964

Reaction score
An Ace Frehley Jnr, I think it'll look awesome

Lee

H.E.L.Shane

Reaction score
Whelp... I met with Capn Chaos last night at Matts house here in Harrisburg, and got to meet Dave (Dave and Matt of Martin six string customs btw)

And he gave my my triple set for this guitar...

promised myself i'd go to bed early, but had to take a pic!!

I think we decided that this guitars gonna be a blackburst with a purple underdye sanded back to give it some depth

2012-11-08231620-1.jpg

H.E.L.Shane

Reaction score
for a split second there I thought it was the return of the Motherbucker!

but, I am feeling inspired...

Ha HA... cen you even still get those?? I know mighty might used to sell em..

and then there was that guitar this guitar..
ClickHandler.ashx

bruce bennett

Banned
Reaction score
Ha HA... cen you even still get those?? I know mighty might used to sell em..

and then there was that guitar this guitar..
ClickHandler.ashx

LOVE IT!:laugh2:

My old boss at Pickers Exchange used to love buying old Teiscos..
and he would pay "by the pickup"

he had quite a few 4 pickup Teiscos.

H.E.L.Shane

Reaction score
Whelp.. I had to do some other Eurethane work, so i squeezed this one in...

I decided to attempt to paint match the pickups too!!!

Goddam Digital cameras.... This is as close as i could get to the actual color of the thing, its actually much more vibrant and the pickups match better in person!

But, I'm diggin it!!

She's hanging around for a few days to finish curing now, should be assembled next week.

The paint process is, stain the bare maple black, sand it back intil the black is just barely visible in the figure, spray a sealer coat (I use Ilva tf-25), then go to work with toner coats (this was transtint orange mixed into DBC500 midcoat clear) and finally two good coats of top clear.

2012-12-21_03-40-16_HDR-1.jpg

2012-12-23195750-1.jpg

wizzbang

Reaction score
Shane in the background,is that a replacement FUBAR?

H.E.L.Shane

Reaction score
Shane in the background,is that a replacement FUBAR?

Nah... Thats my trusty 85 Hamer Scarab in for a repaint.. she's been in tung oil sing 1994.. I thought it was time for a change!

I just glued up the body for CHT part Deux

Riku

Reaction score
With a tele control plate nonetheless :thumb:

wizzbang

Reaction score
Nah... Thats my trusty 85 Hamer Scarab in for a repaint.. she's been in tung oil sing 1994.. I thought it was time for a change!

I just glued up the body for CHT part Deux

Cool ( I'm just queer for pointy guitars )
did the sale of FUBAR go smoothly ?
Are you going to replace it? (I'm a bit of a deadset when I get interested in certain things & find it hard to move on)

Merry Christmas Don't work too hard

Gary

H.E.L.Shane

Reaction score
Ok, Got 'er done, got er strung up...

I put jumbo 6100 stainless frets in her, been a while since i built a railroad track guitar, hhmmmm... dunno if i like it anymore!

But she plays great and sounds great..

Rayne sent me a wacky set of pups.. the bridge is a straight jacket, but, the mid and neck are something new he cooked up... they have powah, but a real vintage style tone, really similar to my Abigail Ybarra vintage set in my strat, but wihtout the noise!!!! Kinda like a noiseless singlecoil without the staleness of a noiseless single coil LOL!!

I'll get some sound clips as soon as i get the final setup done.

I have to rewire the controls because the secondary volume for the bridge when the bridge on is engaged is acting like a master volume, and i know why, brain fart while soldering casue i had to switch the controls.. I've gotta put it back on the bench in a few days for "settle in" set up anyway, plus I'm waiting on my concentric knob to get here (notice there's a single knob in the pics.. can't access master tone the way it is now)

The piece of maple i used for the top was something that just appeared in my plain maple pile.. its eastern rock maple, but it had some cool figure when i planed it to cut into neck blanks....so i used it for this proto.. and i really like the way it turned out with the burst!!

I also stepped out on the tuners, they are a set of grover rotos i had NOS, I didn;t have any tone pros klusons about, so i put the grovers on.. they'll stay on, no weight issues here.. this girl is a bit.. um.. porky for a 1.75" thick singlecut.. thats what happens when you slap a 3/4" maple top on a 1" walnut back and no chambering, and then add another pickup!!

3DC1269F-D4EE-4E83-BCD6-B09227EED042-1214-000001259B3A08EC.jpg
84536340-9B65-4A84-9B0B-DE31B2CF0A50-1214-00000125A2B06F17-1.jpg

Latest Threads