3 Pickup LP Variants

jrkhav

Reaction score
Hi all. Recently picked up a Gibson USA Ace Frehley Budokan which is an amazing guitar, also curious because it's a different triple pickup model. I was curious, is there a full list of years/variants of LPs that have three pickups?

I know of this, the Black Beauties obviously, the rare few Customs from the 70s, the Artisan, and then the three pickup Les Paul Classics from the early 2000s. Any others you know of?

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My favorite of all time is the pete townshend model(s)...

i was picking up a 2015 goldtop and because of the switch position I couldnt install a b7 bigsby...so I passed
Never even tried a B5 which may have fit…

i loved all the quirk...it had a trapezoid in the first fret...
some plastics were creme...some were white....so awesomely goofy
dangit im kicking myself still for not buying one

97F01D60-D6C4-4FE6-B188-64D4E5300D27.jpeg

Last edited:

kakerlak

Reaction score
'70s 3-pu Customs aren't really all that rare, particularly around '76-77. There's the Frampton signature LPC somebody was talking about yesterday. Also, reissue Customs have been made in 3pu versions off-and-on. I'm sure there are some M2M 3pu Pauls of various flavors that have been ordered here-and-there, since they started that program.

Lester

Reaction score
Quote from Pete "I don't know why I had the center pickup added; I never use it". (Might be paraphrased).

Here it is in the Musical instrument Museum in Phoenix, up close and personal!

afjungemann

Reaction score
My favorite of all time is the pete townshend model(s)...

i was picking up a 2015 goldtop and because of the switch position I couldnt install a b7 bigsby...so I passed
Never even tried a B5 which may have fit…

i loved all the quirk...it had a trapezoid in the first fret...
some plastics were creme...some were white....so awesomely goofy
dangit im kicking myself still for not buying one

View attachment 514937
these would be so killer if the middle was routed as a mini. I realize this is a sig guitar but Gibson should make a run like this with 3 minis or p90s.

Lester

Reaction score
these would be so killer if the middle was routed as a mini. I realize this is a sig guitar but Gibson should make a run like this with 3 minis or p90s.
I think the only guitars they ever made like that were Firebirds and Explorers... and it was Firebird style mini's, which are a slightly different beast (or P90's).

jcsk8

Reaction score
Edit: P.s. Forgot to mention that I´ve never seen a full list of the models. Maybe even Gibson can´t say.

2013 59 reissues:

2014 Supremes:

And other custom shop and special editions:

MCLP51X

Reaction score
I own a Gibson Les Paul Standard 3 pickup Limited Run. Purchased it from a local guitar dealer in Essex UK in 2012. It was second hand, but looked brand new. It came with it's factory fit case. When I first saw it hanging from the wall of the shop, I thought it had been modified. I asked the assistant to try it out, while he served another customer I made a note of the serial number and when I got home, contacted Gibson UK to get some clarification of this particular model. Gibson UK at the time were very helpful in supplying me with a lot of informaion about the guitar. Quite unique. When the pickup selector is in the middle position, the guitar sounds like a Strat.. The pickups are Seymour Duncan Distortion
Production year: 21 January 2002 (serial: 567)
(Manufactured in Nashville).
Gibson Les Paul Standard.jpg

endial

Reaction score
I own a Gibson Les Paul Standard 3 pickup Limited Run. Purchased it from a local guitar dealer in Essex UK in 2012. It was second hand, but looked brand new. It came with it's factory fit case. When I first saw it hanging from the wall of the shop, I thought it had been modified. I asked the assistant to try it out, while he served another customer I made a note of the serial number and when I got home, contacted Gibson UK to get some clarification of this particular model. Gibson UK at the time were very helpful in supplying me with a lot of informaion about the guitar. Quite unique. When the pickup selector is in the middle position, the guitar sounds like a Strat.. The pickups are Seymour Duncan Distortion
Production year: 21 January 2002 (serial: 567)
(Manufactured in Nashville).
View attachment 572935
Hog top?

Friggin' beauty.

jrkhav

Reaction score
Love your Budokan, just awesome. Big demand for those, so must have cost a pretty penny (?). Worth it, though!!!
Thank you! I'd gotten it (relatively) cheap on Craigslist a year back and ended up flipping it some time ago. I gig/do fill in and occasional session work in my spare time and didn't want to see the Budokan get beat to hell. It's now in the hands of a KISS megafan and collector, which realistically was a great place for the guitar to have gone.

dro

Reaction score
I like the way the center pickup is accessed on the Frampton model, with the #2 tone knob.
There is also the Jimmy Page Les Paul Custom 3 pickup with the 6 way toggle switch.
One of the best playing Gibson necks I've ever felt.

Latest Threads