3 in 10? For you guys over 18, and still at home...

tazzboy

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I miss Oregon, I lived in Ashland the longest, then
Medford, Talent, Phoenix(Ore), Grants Pass, and
Cave Junction near the Oregon Caves. Really loved
it up there.

I was born in Medford, raised in Phoenix, been to Ashland many times, same With Talent, my grandparents live in Grants Pass and Rogue River. Had relatives all over Southern Oregon.

Of course this during the 80's and 90s.

Strato

Banned
Reaction score
I wish MLP would do a west coast tour danmit. I know we'd all come together and make some music then. I'm ready to meet some of my buddies. And by the way, Where in hell is Liberty Machine? :cool: That's one Bad Motor Scooter right there.

Job-Job type Job

Reaction score
I moved out at 18 and in with my brother 9 years older than me. He worked hard and partied harder so you could say that he was a great influence.. :beer: I struggled a lot in the beginning, and at various times through next 15 years. I started taking music seriously and playing in original bands by 20.

My shortest job-job type job lasted all of 8 minutes. My longest, maybe 6 years. I made every financial mistake you could. It wasn't until my mid-30s that I began to repair the damage and get my credit back in shape. Back then I never thought much about tomorrow and sometimes I feel like I haven't changed all that much.

My wife is the polar opposite. She lived at home until her mid to late 20s, got through college, saved tons of money, and got a great start. She pulled my ass out of the gutter, that's for damn sure. It was her stability that helped me get my shit back together.

It's been an interesting ride so far. I guess I wouldn't change all my mistakes if I could. Every one I made brought me here, and here is a pretty good spot right now.

But man, smooth sailin' it wernt! :beer:

:cheers:

180gROC

Reaction score
I wish MLP would do a west coast tour danmit. I know we'd all come together and make some music then. I'm ready to meet some of my buddies. And by the way, Where in hell is Liberty Machine? :cool: That's one Bad Motor Scooter right there.

Kauer GuitarBQ in Elk Grove in less than a month... Come down!

Strato

Banned
Reaction score
Kauer GuitarBQ in Elk Grove in less than a month... Come down!

Thats way down there in the Valley. I ain't making any promises but it sure sounds good. I found a link to it through the Google boys.

duck2k

Reaction score
I just got back, so here is my view:

I was out on my own at 18 ("your father's support check has stopped - time for you to go"). I resented that for a little while, but after ten years in the Navy, college, and now in the financial industry - I would not change a thing. Never could I go back home either. I made my own home; ya know what? In spite of myself, life is pretty good!:thumb:

180gROC

Reaction score
Thats way down there in the Valley. I ain't making any promises but it sure sounds good. I found a link to it through the Google boys.

Or just come down and jam sometime... I got a little studio and a drummer on Alert 5. Whatever... :thumb:

I've met a ton of people from MLP West. Actually enough to change my life fairly radically. When I showed up here I was building houses now I'm building guitars. :applause:

coldsteal2

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I was born in Medford, raised in Phoenix, been to Ashland many times, same With Talent, my grandparents live in Grants Pass and Rogue River. Had relatives all over Southern Oregon.

Of course this during the 80's and 90s.

I lived in Oregon in the 70's i guess we just missed each
other! I was married in Phoenix and my daughter was
born at Medford Hospital.
Believe it or not, Ashland was the place to go to work
in the north west, there was a conection between our
manager Harry Arnold and Bill Graham Productions
who would ever expect Ashland would be the place
to go for Rock bands back then?
And of course Musicians Freind started in Medford.

Strato

Banned
Reaction score
Or just come down and jam sometime... I got a little studio and a drummer on Alert 5. Whatever... :thumb:

I've met a ton of people from MLP West. Actually enough to change my life fairly radically. When I showed up here I was building houses now I'm building guitars. :applause:

Thank you brother 180gROC. Let see if our future holds any cheaper prices on fuel and let me get my mama straightened up with the hospice group. Who knows? We used to get down to Cali every summer when everyone caught a break around here for a week. It sure sounds good and I certainly appreciate you asking.:dude:

Welcome back Duck.

tazzboy

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I lived in Oregon in the 70's i guess we just missed each
other! I was married in Phoenix and my daughter was
born at Medford Hospital.
Believe it or not, Ashland was the place to go to work
in the north west, there was a conection between our
manager Harry Arnold and Bill Graham Productions
who would ever expect Ashland would be the place
to go for Rock bands back then?
And of course Musicians Freind started in Medford.

I'm about the same age as your daughter. I too was born Medford Hospital Rogue Valley Medical Center.

Caleb

Platinum Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Just accept the knee-jerk of renting?
That's a new thing - to be as ingrained as it is in this generation.

Sorta the diametric/polar opposite of Great Depression scrimpers/savers/hoarders.

Guess who I can better identify with?

Who knows, I guess it could be partly a generational thing. I'm in my thirties, and renting is all I know. I've been an apartment dweller my whole life. I've always heard A Man's Home is his Castle, but I can't really identify. I don't spend all that much time at home anyway, so crappier digs have never really bothered me. :shock: :laugh2:

Suddenly owning a house would be a pretty big culture shock to me, I would wager. Hell, it would probably take me years just to fill the thing with furniture.

Roberteaux

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I figure at 58-60, I'll still be young enough to have some more fun and see some more of the world...plus, once I'm done...no more haircuts EVER.

That's sweet, man... I'll retire with 30 years of service next November, and it won't be a minute to soon. I'm getting tired, and I do mean that in the physical sense of the word.

The thing that really jumped out at me about your post was the "no haircuts" comment you made, though. Last January, I decided the same thing, and so am getting a sort of "head start" on it...

Weird, that we'd both figure that this was of importance. But I decided to go down freaky, and I mean to see it through! :laugh2:

A lot of folks that complain about the "rich" and the "greedy" just have a different view on life's priorities...A lot of folks that have money/wealth complain about the poor. Too much hate, mistrust, misunderstanding, etc.

Live and let live...yes?

Yes. Live and let live. But ain't nobody wants to do that who ain't got the scratch.

Honestly: it even pervades the dating scene. Back when I was so poor that I literally lived in a garden shed and slept next to a couple of tractors, people acted as though I was somehow despicable. I would point out to them that at least I could park my motorcycle in my living room, but nobody else seemed to thing of this as an advantage. Meanwhile, the chicks snubbed me.

Then I finally got past all the poverty and ended up in a little house all my own. And now I run into women who are butt hurt about that!

In his autobiography, My Life in New Orleans, Louis Armstrong said that the big gift that he inherited from his mother, and considered to be his greatest asset, was the fact that in both poverty and wealth, he was never jealous of how well anybody else did-- that this gave him a type of peace of mind that he saw not everybody in possession of. And I can really identify with that, because no matter how broke I was I never did feel jealous of others who were doing better. And in better times, I didn't lose my common touch.

So a couple of weeks ago, during the 24 Hours of Daytona, some guy pulled up in front of myself and a co-worker in a Ferrari, and the co-worker hissed, "I hate that bastard!" He was being fully vituperative as he said this to me.

I said, "You know this dude? What did he do to you?"

And the co-worker replied, "Oh, I don't know him... I just hate him for his car!"

Jeebus. Hates the dude for his car. Like, this is way important or something... all I could do is shrug. It's a waste of good hatred, if you ask me.

I always said if I left the hills of Tennessee I'd move out here.

If I lived in Tennessee, I wouldn't be able to leave it. Man, your state is one of the most beautiful places in the world, and you're lucky to live there!

Got some nice folks in Tennessee, too. There, and the Carolinas... got some great people there!

I would not change a thing. Never could I go back home either. I made my own home; ya know what? In spite of myself, life is pretty good!:thumb:

That's how I felt, and it worked out just fine. Never lost a fraction of my love for my parents, either.

I was back and forth, in and out of my folks home from 16 to 18. There's truth in the idea that you have to have the basic scratch to make it once you leave the nest, that's for sure. But at 18, I enlisted and never had to go back to my parents again after that. Instead, they sort of followed me down to Florida from New York, built themselves a house, and lived nearby for the rest of their lives.

Now things are tough enough out there, job wise, that I can see people staying with their parents for longer than they used to. You've got to be able to make it, and sometimes this is the best way when you're bucks-down. Beats living in a garden shed, anyway.

Crappy economy is crappy. Even retirement pensions are getting scarce. They've been paring things down in Florida, and that's another reason I will vamoose next November. I want out before they reduce the package, as they surely must.

I knew guys who worked for Eastern and Pan Am for over twenty years that got burned when those companies went under. Stiffed for their pensions by bankruptcy. But those who got out when the gettin' was good, they still get a check.

Life is a crap shoot sometimes.

--R

Strato

Banned
Reaction score
I don't live there anymore Roberteaux. I got sick and tired of being sick and tired of all the hatred that went on. Man, family hating family. Oh, not to their faces but soon as you leave you were the worst piece of Sh*t in the bunch. I've grown fond of coastal living now for several years although I wouldn't mind getting back for a visit. I've got kids and grand kids still there that I hardly get to see.

MineGoesTo11

Reaction score
This market here is delusional..

Could buy 1 bed, 675 sq ft. for $319K, or you could rent two beds in the same building for 1500-1800 per month..

An Absolute Dream in Mississauga - Mississauga / Peel Region 2 bedroom Apartments & Condos For Rent - Kijiji Mississauga / Peel Region

50 Absolute Ave For Sale by ReMax Condos Plus

Here's a typical example..

Home for Sale - 5667 Spangler Dr, Mississauga, ON L5R 3N5 - MLS® ID W2300134

When I was in high school I did a course on housing that taught you all about all aspects of housing, from renting, to how mortgages and lease agreements work, construction, etc...

The old rule of thumb was your mortgage should be no more than 3x your gross yearly income...

That rule of thumb means I should make 200k per year to afford the home above...

I don't make any 200k per year.. but neither do a lot of the people who get qualified for these nutso mortgages.

Forgive me, message to all potential mothers in law out there looking for a man to nest your daughter in style.. it ain't happening!

You gotta be insane to take on that kind of debt, when interest rates have nowhere to go but up, and call that an investment!! :wow:

Caleb

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The old rule of thumb was your mortgage should be no more than 3x your gross yearly income...

Well, if that's the rule to follow I will never be a local homeowner.

Caleb

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
/Mississauga/Spangler_Dr/5667]
Forgive me, message to all potential mothers in law out there looking for a man to nest your daughter in style.. it ain't happening!

:laugh2:

MineGoesTo11

Reaction score
Well, if that's the rule to follow I will never be a local homeowner.

Yeah, those prices listed were about right for where I am, go into Toronto proper and it's more like $800k + for a tiny crapper that hasn't seen a reno in 40 years...

Housing has turned from a place to rest your head at night into a commodity.. to be bought and sold like stocks..

.. The USA already learned its lesson, we're still claiming it's different here.

Caleb

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yeah, those prices listed were about right for where I am, go into Toronto proper and it's more like $800k + for a tiny crapper that hasn't seen a reno in 40 years...

Housing has turned from a place to rest your head at night into a commodity.. to be bought and sold like stocks..

.. The USA already learned its lesson, we're still claiming it's different here.

A few years ago here, EVERYONE was buying houses to flip. Didn't work out so great for the vast majority. That's why it makes me a little nuts when I read all the moaning about foreclosures. Sensible people knew those places weren't worth the cost. Delusional people? Not so much.

Latest Threads