2nd Les Paul build with the Gold Standard Carve Templates (Latin Edition!!)

pshupe

Reaction score
Thanks. Just orderEd my new jig!!!

I just checked them out. They look pretty cool. They do not offer a 12" radius as a standard option. LOL Maybe it's too standard? or maybe 12" radius isn't big in Europe?

Cheers Peter.

Rapdog

Reaction score
The 12” was with the 4th version. The 3rd didn’t have any left evidently.

danigalapago

Reaction score
HEY GUYS!!!

it's been more than 2 months! A lot of things going on here and little time to work on the guitar, but I'm catching up!

I'm already at the finishing stage, and here are a few shots of the process:

First, a wash coat of thinned lacquer (30% lacquer / 70% thinner) and then moved on to the table for the grain filler:

01.jpg

I usually use Timbermate and also Colortone grain fillers mixed with pigment stains, but this time I wanted to try Bartlett's grain filler (available through his website). Here are the results:

02.jpg

Here's with a coat of clear to seal it up:

03.jpg

And here's the top with a first few coats of clear, look what an amazing figure it has!!!

04.jpg

05.jpg

Now, here comes the most critical part of the finish. I always liked dark bursts, and specially the ones like #9 2225 of the BOTB:

06.jpg

It has lots and lots of red, and also a bit of brown around the cutaway and switch section.
Here's the exaggerated burst:

08.jpg

10.jpg

And of course, a sun bath:

11.jpg

12.jpg

I shoot some amber and keep it under the sun for a few more hours.
Here's so far: (the red is almost gone, and turning a bit brown)

13.jpg

14.jpg

I'll start wet sanding in the next few days and hopefully she'll be put together next week!!

thanks for your time!!!
DC

Attachments

Hellfire

Reaction score
I really like it!
What colors did you use? I use anilines but they do not fade so good at the sun.

danigalapago

Reaction score
I really like it!
What colors did you use? I use anilines but they do not fade so good at the sun.
These are LMI aniline dyes. I used yellow for the base, red and a bit of brown for the shadows.
finally, some Colortone vintage amber to blend them all together

Last edited:

pavel

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your build is super inspiring! I am at the top carving stage myself and had a question: I'd like to try the French curve scraper myself -- do you need to get it super (as in Freddy G.) sharp? Is there a trick to sharpening it, or do you perhaps just sharpen it flat on your sharpening stones?
Thanks!

failsafe306

Reaction score
Your build is super inspiring! I am at the top carving stage myself and had a question: I'd like to try the French curve scraper myself -- do you need to get it super (as in Freddy G.) sharp? Is there a trick to sharpening it, or do you perhaps just sharpen it flat on your sharpening stones?
Thanks!
I would think it’s the same process as a straight scraper, use a stone to get a nice square edge and then a use burnishing tool to give you your hook.

Crusader

Reaction score
I just found this thread and I'm ecstatic, I scored some Brazilian Mahogany a few years ago that was first bought in 1984. By the way I personally really like that Maple cap just natural!

simon connor

Reaction score
I have a friend who owns a wood store. He had a 50 year old Mahogany stacked and I bought some pieces of 5000x400x75mm (16 'x16 "x3") a few years ago, I still have some of the wood.
But when I recently went back there to buy more, his employee sold all the stock for a guy to build doors. I was very upset because it is very difficult to find this wood for legal sale, as its cutting is prohibited in Brazil.
Making doors with Mahogany .... My God!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad:
My house is in Seattle and is 93 years old. All the doors are mahogany. Maybe I should start building guitars! Or at least start selling the doors to people who build guitars...

danigalapago

Reaction score
Thanks!
hey!! Here’s a good tutorial:

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hola amigos!

Dan from Buenos Aires, Argentina here.

This is going to be my first build post (another LP build) and I'll be using the new Gold Standard Carve Templates. (Thanks to @nuance97 @ExNihilo @pinefd for all the hard work putting these together). Hope you enjoy this!

First off: THE Templates!

View attachment 479788 View attachment 479764

And here's the list of materials for this build:
  • Genuine Mahogany (sweetenia macrophilia) one-piece body and Neck
  • Brazilian rosewood fretboard
  • Curly sugar maple top (thanks to Derek K from Kimball Hardwoods!)
  • holly veener headstock
  • royalite binding and cellulose nitrate inlays (thanks Tom!)
  • Wizz PAF Alnico 4, 7.7k neck / 8.4k bridge
  • HM Retrospec vintage LP wiring kit
  • Creamtone Vintage Collection knobs, plastics and tuners
There's a departure from the vintage specs as I'll use a 2-way stewmac hot rod for this guitar.

Let's begin!

Found an old carpentry warehouse outside the city with a huge load of old-growth mahogany from the 70's. I couldn't believe what I was seeing :drool::drool:!!
I picked up a couple of slabs...
View attachment 479761 View attachment 479762

There's a 2" thick slab and another 1.5" one for SGs... yeah!

View attachment 479787

Here are 2 bodies cut from 2 different slabs. You can tell the obvious color differences, despite they're the same species.
View attachment 479784

And here's the TOP:

View attachment 479768

Joining, gluing & thickness sanding process (thanks to Hernan from swancustombasses.com for sharing the drum sander!)

View attachment 479776 . View attachment 479777

Here she is!

View attachment 479778

Well. that's it for today. Hope you like the photos!

Later!!!
Dan
Man, what a find! All that mahogany. Honduran too!

Edit: Now that I've read the entire thread, I see what a marvelous job you've done here.

Beautiful work. Congrats!

Last edited:

danigalapago

Reaction score
Man, what a find! All that mahogany. Honduran too!

Edit: Now that I've read the entire thread, I see what a marvelous job you've done here.

Beautiful work. Congrats!
Thank you!! Glad you like it!!

Latest Threads