2nd Les Paul build with the Gold Standard Carve Templates (Latin Edition!!)

danigalapago

Reaction score
Hola amigos!

Dan from Buenos Aires, Argentina here.

This is going to be my first build post (another LP build) and I'll be using the new Gold Standard Carve Templates. (Thanks to @nuance97 @ExNihilo @pinefd for all the hard work putting these together). Hope you enjoy this!

First off: THE Templates!

IMG_2115.JPG
ba71f02b-1932-4ff2-9914-1b917b.jpg

And here's the list of materials for this build:
  • Genuine Mahogany (sweetenia macrophilia) one-piece body and Neck
  • Brazilian rosewood fretboard
  • Curly sugar maple top (thanks to Derek K from Kimball Hardwoods!)
  • holly veener headstock
  • royalite binding and cellulose nitrate inlays (thanks Tom!)
  • Wizz PAF Alnico 4, 7.7k neck / 8.4k bridge
  • HM Retrospec vintage LP wiring kit
  • Creamtone Vintage Collection knobs, plastics and tuners
There's a departure from the vintage specs as I'll use a 2-way stewmac hot rod for this guitar.

Let's begin!

Found an old carpentry warehouse outside the city with a huge load of old-growth mahogany from the 70's. I couldn't believe what I was seeing :drool::drool:!!
I picked up a couple of slabs...
Webp.net-resizeimage 8.jpg
truck.jpg

There's a 2" thick slab and another 1.5" one for SGs... yeah!

Webp.net-resizeimage 9.jpg

Here are 2 bodies cut from 2 different slabs. You can tell the obvious color differences, despite they're the same species.
IMG_2819.JPG

And here's the TOP:

21c2c5a7-3dd7-43ee-8deb-72d701.jpg

Joining, gluing & thickness sanding process (thanks to Hernan from swancustombasses.com for sharing the drum sander!)

IMG_2813.JPG
IMG_2814.JPG

Here she is!

IMG_2815.JPG

Well. that's it for today. Hope you like the photos!

Later!!!
Dan

Attachments

Last edited:

Emacedo

Reaction score
Buen trabajo hombre.
Sigue publicando, todavía estoy haciendo las plantillas, etc.

Good job man. Keep posting, I'm still making models, etc.

nuance97

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ll echo that...it never gets old. Seems weird, but it’s true

DaveR

Reaction score
Those slabs of mahogany....wow. A few years ago I found an old growth slab that was 2.5” x 24” x 11 feet. Cost me $500 and had to drive all day to get it. Once in a lifetme find for me, so it’s amazing to see you luck in to a couple slabs like that! Congratulations!

Cool build thread too! Keep it up!

Emacedo

Reaction score
I have a friend who owns a wood store. He had a 50 year old Mahogany stacked and I bought some pieces of 5000x400x75mm (16 'x16 "x3") a few years ago, I still have some of the wood.
But when I recently went back there to buy more, his employee sold all the stock for a guy to build doors. I was very upset because it is very difficult to find this wood for legal sale, as its cutting is prohibited in Brazil.
Making doors with Mahogany .... My God!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

danigalapago

Reaction score
Ok, got some free time to post an update.:

The top is rough cut and ready for some glue... (as you can see, I'm using the DAP Plastic resin glue)

IMG_2972.JPG

IMG_2973.JPG

IMG_2974.JPG

I'm using 2 screws to prevent the top from moving before placing the clamps, one within the neck pocket area, the other at the bridge pickup area.

IMG_2975.JPG

There's a new spindle sander thread going on, and I think someone asked about the WEN. Well, that's the one I have.
It's ok, get's the job done, but I'll definitely could use a bit more table surface.

IMG_2976.JPG

And here she is:

IMG_2978.JPG

Coming soon... THE CARVE!!!

Later guys,
DC

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
is that the brown powder glue that mixes with water and dries hard as a rock?

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
oh good. where i used to work we got that stuff in a 5 gallon tub. we used it for veneering in a vacuum press. Man, I have cut myself more than once taking that stuff out where the glue would occasionally run out and try to a tapered edge. I thought i was gonna have to go bum some, but they have it at several local places in small containers. don't let the humidity get to it, or it will cake up. Keep it in a plastic bag after you put the lid back on it and it will stay loose a long time. thanks

nuance97

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just used that Dap plastic resin glue for the 1st time. Not bad stuff to work with. Plenty of open time

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I just used that Dap plastic resin glue for the 1st time. Not bad stuff to work with. Plenty of open time
yes, but i don't think you want to use it anywhere you might want to remove....like a neck or fretboard. that stuff is pretty unforgiving in that regard, best to my memory. don't know anything short of a hammer and chisel will break it down.

nuance97

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes, but i don't think you want to use it anywhere you might want to remove....like a neck or fretboard. that stuff is pretty unforgiving in that regard, best to my memory. don't know anything short of a hammer and chisel will break it down.
I agree, and only used it on the body/maple cap joint. :thumb:

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
i have some nice looking fretboard material that is thinner than i would like, so i plan on laminating a thin piece of same specie veneer on the bottom to beef them up a bit. this should give a good hard glue that won't come loose in the event a fretboard needs to come up. I will also start using it on maple caps myself.

Latest Threads