27 year old son , no job for 7 months now, hardly leaves his room playing video games

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Yeah,the problem is in some areas (like mine) that rent for a i bed apt. Is mayby about the one person income. Now thus isn’t going to work for llong. It is not sustainable. And this is why so many kids are living in out[r basements! Young workers used tio have “career paths” to upward mobility. It doesn’t look like this exists anymore. A gamnbdhame!

Deftone

Reaction score
Yeah,the problem is in some areas (like mine) that rent for a i bed apt. Is mayby about the one person income. Now thus isn’t going to work for llong. It is not sustainable. And this is why so many kids are living in out[r basements! Young workers used tio have “career paths” to upward mobility. It doesn’t look like this exists anymore. A gamnbdhame!
Perfect. I lived in a 1 bdr apt ...... with a roommate. I slept on the sofa. Yea, it sucked sometimes. But I had a place to crash and it was warm and dry. Later on I split a 1bdr apt with my GF.

We need to stop making excuses for the self entitled little turds. People immigrate from other countries and would gladly live 4 or more in a 1bdr apt.

Pop1655

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I threw papers until I could get my license. Then I scored a job at a pet shop. I had a key and would go in before school , clean the kennels and feed everybody. Then I'd go in after school and repeat the process. There was a really cool retail chain with a store in the same center where I wanted to work. Finally pestered my way into an interview with the very scary intimidating owner of the company. It was one question. Who cleans up the dog shit? My third move with that company put me geographically where some things clicked that put me on the path I'm still on. There's a crystal clear connect the dots story with me that states that everything I've done in life is rooted in the fact that at 16 I was the guy that cleaned up the dog shit.

Pop1655

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
To OP, I have one strongly held belief: You gotta have a reason to need to take a shower.

With that, most of the rest falls into place. Got to get the schedule reversed. Got to get the sleep cycle right. Got to have to do something everyday. That's what I see as a starting point.

As stated, I've worked everyday since I was 13. My debacle last year put me in bed for four months. It gave me a glimpse of how the brain can adjust to its surroundings. Patterns are easy to form and hard to break. You gotta fight the fight.

Deftone

Reaction score
OP: If you're in the Sacramento, CA area or the OKC, OK area...I got a job for your son. Carbon Fiber layup for Target and Defense drones. He might have to start on Graveyard shift though. They pay is low and the work is hard. We run three shifts in Sacramento. Super diverse workforce. Other areas and Depts are hiring as well.

https://www.kratosdefense.com/careers#Openings

A lot of our workers are roommates, some are 1 car families. Mom drops off Dad at work in the morning, takes the kids to school, comes back in the afternoon, Dad takes the car and kids home and mom stays and works swing shift. Repeat. I have three Machinists in their 20's working Graveyard right now while they go to Sac State during the day.

I worked Swing Shift as a Machinist. Shared a car with my roommate as well. We had to push start that POS every morning. We were both going to school and working full time. VW Dasher....lol. That guy has a Master's Degree in Chemical Engineering now and works for Raytheon.

Fracture

Reaction score
We got up to 76 degrees today. My wife was putzing in the back yard with her flowers & shrubs. I ate a sandwich, then took a nap in a lounge chair on the patio for about 90 minutes.

It was glorious.
as it should be....I fucking love you man

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get a room...damn...

Just not a room at any Hilton Group....or even Wyndham Group.... Steve's not welcome...

Pop1655

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The perfect example of the saying "hard times create strong men...."
I get a case of the shakes head when I hear about most drama and life isn’t fair. I think about my life, my young married life and my life today. I’ve never had time for drama simply because I’ve never had time for drama. Keeping the lights on for 67 years has consumed all of my time and focus.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
We all don't own a chain of strip joints... Geeze...

:cool2:
There is one location we are looking at for a warehouse/office in an "Enterprise Zone." It is literally on the same block with a strip club. I figure we can go there for lunch and interview for receptionists.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
OP: If you're in the Sacramento, CA area or the OKC, OK area...I got a job for your son. Carbon Fiber layup for Target and Defense drones. He might have to start on Graveyard shift though. They pay is low and the work is hard. We run three shifts in Sacramento. Super diverse workforce. Other areas and Depts are hiring as well.

https://www.kratosdefense.com/careers#Openings

A lot of our workers are roommates, some are 1 car families. Mom drops off Dad at work in the morning, takes the kids to school, comes back in the afternoon, Dad takes the car and kids home and mom stays and works swing shift. Repeat. I have three Machinists in their 20's working Graveyard right now while they go to Sac State during the day.

I worked Swing Shift as a Machinist. Shared a car with my roommate as well. We had to push start that POS every morning. We were both going to school and working full time. VW Dasher....lol. That guy has a Master's Degree in Chemical Engineering now and works for Raytheon.
I'd like to do CF layup...I used to do it in my workshop. I was just getting into thermal forming (to create the molds for the cf) when I sold the house and put my gear into storage.

Working for a company that does something interesting will give one the opportunity to look around and see things that might appeal to him/her. Then he/she can try to make a move within the company to that more interesting job.

Fracture

Reaction score

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Get a room...damn...

Just not a room at any Hilton Group....or even Wyndham Group.... Steve's not welcome...
For casual, or business travel, I'm more of a Westin, or JW Marriott kinda guy, actually. If I'm on vacation, it's a Four Seasons, or a Ritz Carlton. Unless it's Asia, then it's the Mandarin Oriental!

OTOH... by the hour motels are best if you can park your (rental) car right out in front of your room, for quick get-a-ways :laugh2:

Latest Threads