23 years ago today...

randelli

Reaction score
Crazy! I was not alive when JFK was killed; but I can tell you exactly what I was doing when I heard the news about SRV. Tragic ending to a life that had seen the worst and was on the right path.

Wrecks

Reaction score
I was at my crappy job, sweating my ass off and vacuuming a car floorboard at Rainbow Car Wash on 183 in Austin. It's still there, but it's called something else now. The radio came on and said Eric Clapton had died in a helicopter crash. Then a little while later it was announced that Eric was ok and it was Jimmy Vaughan that had died and I thought "Man, that sucks, but at least Stevie is ok" (I kind of hated the Fabulous Thunderbirds). Then the final news came in about Stevie. I left work and my girlfriend and I went down to Zilker Park with the rest of the entire city and we all wept, laughed, cried and celebrated his life. Man, that was a weird day.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
I remember all the misinformation. I think at different points in time, they reported that Clapton, Cray, J. Vaughn and finally SRV had perished. It never made sense to me why such a sophisticated and reliable piece of equipment (Bell Jet Ranger 206B (its predecessor the 206A was introduced in '66)) would have had such a catastrophic failure, unless it was human error. At some point, there was some sort of wrongful death settlement with the Vaughn family. I always find it stupefying when someone survives something that could very well have killed him/her (alcoholism, addiction, war, etc.) and is on the right path gets struck down by such an unpredictable and/or seemingly bizarre accident.

I often comment on the shelf life (staying power, longevity, whatever) of music. Lots of stuff that I liked back in the '70s, '80s and '90s doesn't sound nearly as good to me today. There are plenty of exceptions. SRVs version of Little Wing (IMO) is timeless. I even find myself having a hard time changing the station when cuts from Bowie's Let's Dance (from which I first learned of SRV) comes on the radio.

He's been missed ever since.

strat1701

El Diablo Cazador De Hombres
Reaction score
RIP SRV. I never got the chance to see him live (could have at least once) but his music still inspired me.

babatube

Reaction score
it's still sad.
one of my favorite guitar players.
he had so much more to give.
RIP

TKOjams

Reaction score
Some day I hope to go to Texas and pay my respects.

TKOjams

Reaction score
I was at my crappy job, sweating my ass off and vacuuming a car floorboard at Rainbow Car Wash on 183 in Austin. It's still there, but it's called something else now. The radio came on and said Eric Clapton had died in a helicopter crash. Then a little while later it was announced that Eric was ok and it was Jimmy Vaughan that had died and I thought "Man, that sucks, but at least Stevie is ok" (I kind of hated the Fabulous Thunderbirds). Then the final news came in about Stevie. I left work and my girlfriend and I went down to Zilker Park with the rest of the entire city and we all wept, laughed, cried and celebrated his life. Man, that was a weird day.
That was a tough year for me!!
my dog died of old age, my grandpa had a heart attack and died, I got layed off from my job of 5 years, broke up with my girlfriend, blew the motor in my car, and my favorite guitarist died. Fvck 1990!!!!

Maynar

You reached for the secret too soon
Reaction score
Induction long overdue.

Like Randelli, I remember exactly where I was when I heard the news.

Gone but not forgotten.

Latest Threads