20w Is Enough

Stevie 202

Reaction score
When I did play out I used the drummer’s 100w Marshall with a 4x12.
Too fuckin loud.

When I played in my ’geezer’ band I used a Line 6 Flextone (40w I think ?) and that seemed to do the trick.

After, I got a 40w Traynor that I never really got to crank, sadly, but that thing probably would have held it’s own in a band.

Now I have a 5w Marshall and sometimes it’s still too fuckin loud for my apartment.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
This is all a question of monitoring. I'm a convert to playing with IEM's, and with those, whatever amp you want is loud enough. My 15W Orange does not sound small beside my mate's Mesa Boogie DR, and I have plenty of headroom, as much as I want.

ErictheRed

Reaction score
Didn’t intend to trigger anybody...
I'm not triggered, I'm just an electrical engineer. It's true that you could have a very inefficient, crappy circuit design that wouldn't be as loud as another amp of the same wattage, but that just doesn't really happen in practice. None of this is rocket science, and all quality amps that I'm aware of have properly spec'd transformers, etc.

It's similar to people talking about their amazing little 1x12" cabinet and how it's such an amazing cabinet, it sounds huuggee! Just as good as a 4x12". I've heard that claimed about a Suhr cabinet, a Reeves cabinet, a Dr Z cabinet, a Friedman, Avatar, Mesa widebody...it's just not true. They're all good cabinets, but none of them really sounds like a 4x12". You're just cranking your amp up loud and it sounds awesome, that's great! It's not because Dr Z or Mesa or Friedman are making some super special, top-secret 1x12" cabinet, though.

Last edited:

efstop

Premium Member
Reaction score
I wonder if plugging three 112s into my Mini Jubilee combo would sound like a 412.

Neffco

Reaction score
I was thinking of going 35-40W but am really happy at 50. I am always very conscious of volume and watching the bartenders serving drinks. If customers have to lean over the bar and scream for a drink, we’re not helping sales. I play in little bars with no house systems. That’s the way it is in my part of the world. We also play outside in the summer, more wattage helps there.

To each their own and everyone’s situations vary. Who wants to own just one amp anyway?
E79E346F-AC46-4BAA-ADBA-2914851787EA.jpeg

bad565ss

Reaction score
The ears are ok. I do feel pretty old the morning after gigs though I must admit.
It's worth it to me though. Our crowd expects the image and the thunder and we
try to deliver the goods. We are admittadly one of the louder hard rock cover bands in our area. The people know what to expect and we're continuing to gain in popularity.

fleahead

Reaction score
My Mooer GE200 (with some very good Marshall/Vox/Shiva/Suhr/Friedman/Matchless profiles) into a Mooer Baby Bomb 20 watt pedal does the trick. Being able to go direct to the board and/or to my BB into my 2-12" (Warehouse Retro & ET65) does the trick. Could have saved my back if I had these 30 years ago...

New Rig.jpg

FB_IMG_1567812302315.jpg

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
My Mooer GE200 (with some very good Marshall/Vox/Shiva/Suhr/Friedman/Matchless profiles) into a Mooer Baby Bomb 20 watt pedal does the trick. Being able to go direct to the board and/or to my BB into my 2-12" (Warehouse Retro & ET65) does the trick. Could have saved my back if I had these 30 years ago...

View attachment 423739
View attachment 423741
Would you please care to elaborate more on the Mooer?

fleahead

Reaction score
Sure. I have a bestie with a Kemper and Helix. He was getting ready to go to FL for a few days to jam and was looking for something small, the GE200 had just come out. He bought one, we side-by-side'd and while the Kemper and Helix were obviously better, the Mooer had a couple of amp models that were very useful. Come with IRs, you can add a few extra.

At $295 I couldn't beat it, but they have the 300 now which is a much more flexible unit and can actually profile. I think you can get those in the $650-700 range, but that's too much for me.

jaycoyoyo

I would rather be playing guitar.
Premium Member
Reaction score
I always bring my Marshall 4210 which is a 50 watt open back 1x12 with a 75-watt speaker. It is more than enough, based on the room we play and our drummer's volume. I would rather have a bit too much than not enough. We don't mic our amps, but it's a small room.

-Jay

efstop

Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm going to keep two 20W amps (because they're awesome) and get rid of the others above 5W. I don't gig but I have mics and line outs if I do, or if I record.