20w Is Enough

Big John

four holes are better than one
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Don't let anybody ever tell you that 20w isn't enough. Hit the local jam last night with my beater grab-n-go: Mesa Subway Rocket (20w thru a single 10"). Had the masters on 6-7 in a small 110-capacity club. No amp mic, just let 'er run. Pulled off some Doobies, Allmans, Clapton, Muddy, and Ray Charles tunes with that little amp. My ears are still ringing.

MichaelAndrew3435

Premium Member
Reaction score
Don't let anybody ever tell you that 20w isn't enough. Hit the local jam last night with my beater grab-n-go: Mesa Subway Rocket (20w thru a single 10"). Had the masters on 6-7 in a small 110-capacity club. No amp mic, just let 'er run. Pulled off some Doobies, Allmans, Clapton, Muddy, and Ray Charles tunes with that little amp. My ears are still ringing.
It really depends on a lot. Some amps regardless of wattage are just louder than others. Some bands play really loud and something between 30-50 watts is more ideal.

I have an Orange Rocker 15 that I was using as my "grab and go amp" if I was going to go play with other people. The group I've been playing with plays very loud and it was a struggle to hear myself with the volume all the way up, especially on the clean channel. I just picked up a Rocker 32 2x10 30 watt and I'm hoping it can get the job done.

lunchbox

Reaction score
Not for me. Need 30+.

Big John

four holes are better than one
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The next time I go to that jam, I think I'll bring the Demeter 75w 1x12 and see how that does.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Depends on many variables... Room, song list, drummer, stage logistics, drummer, fronts and floors, guitarist, drummer, amp angle, drummer, floor mix, bass player, and drummer....

Some folks ain't got pocket...

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ride cymbal meets stick shoulder for any length of time and you will forget about the snare.... You'be busy wondering what that farking warbling roar from hell is... Slider munky already being calculating scope hold-under for such short range...

wildhawk1

Reaction score
Yes sir, my small 15w 10" speaker at about 7 is perfect for the average ma&pa bar.

Anything else is overload on ears and back.

Bigger crowd/place I mic the amp or line out to the PA depending on the venue.

Was guilty for years of hauling a high horsepower big box to gigs like the majority do. Nothing gained with weight and too many decibels.

Oldskoolrob

Reaction score
I once played an open-air venue (7 piece band), crowd of about 2500(ish) with my 22watt frankenstein amp (2x12ax7, 2 x 6CM5) into a 4x12 (crusty old cheap Celestions) that was mic'd by the sound engineer. No sound check as it was a festival.I had it DIMED. Had lots of fun - when I came off the stage the sound engineer said "WTF is that thing? I didn't even have the mic turned on!" So yeah I think 20watts can get loud enough.