2022 Nashville-made Gibson ES-335 w P90s "ES 359" ordered from Gibson.com

modavis99

Reaction score
I was looking for a semi hollow with P90s but also with good upper fret access. Gibson Memphis made a Dot 335 with dogear P90s a few years ago but with a maple neck and no binding on the neck. That model looked great but I noticed that GIbson also sold exclusively on their web site a black ES-335 with P90s. This model, link here: https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Guitar/USA74A554/ES-335-P-90/Ebony

I took a chance on ordering it sight-unseen since Gibson.com has a 30-day return policy. The communication from Gibson was not great but fine. There was no one to call to get a weight or a tone report or anything like that (I tried). Gibson sent me an email once I ordered it and an email with tracking once it shipped. For the record, the case was respectably packed in the box. Gibson sent the guitar in tune (strung to full tension), with no bubble wrap or foam or anything like that inside the case.

The guitar had an OK setup but not great: truss rod was fine, intonation was off on a few strings, action needed adjustment -- but that's fine I can change all that. The pickup heights were all kinds of wrong, but again that was an easy adjustment. The lesson here is that if you order from Gibson.com, you should know how to do these basic things. I guess I was mostly glad the guitar got to me quickly and safely.

OK so here is the stuff that matters. Once I finished the setup, it played and sounded great. The guitar weighs 8 pounds 11 ounces which I thought was a little heavy for a 335 but I've been reading that is in the normal range. The guitar has a "rounded C" neck. It strikes me as pretty close to a 59 neck. Neck is beefy but not 58 beefy. As far as tone goes -- the P90s have a nice sparkle when clean and just roar with some gain or overdrive. This is really a rock machine. I have no idea why this is not a regular model. The guitar sounds fantastic. The pickups have a sight squeal at extra-high gain. This can be controlled by rolling back the volume from 10 to about 8.

One oddity: Gibson has named this model the ES-359. Not only was that the model number on the sticker in the guitar but also on the box. I think they have used that model designation a few years ago, for a custom 339. This guitar is not a 339 and the box clearly says ES-335 with P90s but the model designation is "ES35900EBNH1". This will likely cause some confusion in the future.

Final thought: The guitar came with a cream pickguard but I think the guitar looks better without the pickguard. Pics are below. Thanks for reading

DC0BDCAA-3B57-491C-93A3-EEC61D4195EA.jpeg
8321F485-984B-402B-8237-C0EC8C7DDD57.jpeg
7FB7F6C3-FBD9-4C8C-A677-732C45736DB9.jpeg

goldtop0

Reaction score
Thanks for this heads up and congrats.
This is something I've been thinking about as I love P90s in LPs like my terrific sounding R6 so can just imagine how great the 335/359 would be.
Now if they only did them in tobacco sunburst or cherry and with a really fat neck;)

modavis99

Reaction score
Thanks for this heads up and congrats.
This is something I've been thinking about as I love P90s in LPs like my terrific sounding R6 so can just imagine how great the 335/359 would be.
Now if they only did them in tobacco sunburst or cherry and with a really fat neck;)

Yeah, I know I'm in honeymoon phase now but I can't believe how great this guitar sounds. Like "better than all my other guitars" great.

LPTDMSV

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Final thought: The guitar came with a cream pickguard but I think the guitar looks better without the pickguard.

100% agree!

modavis99

Reaction score
Just sayin':

:shock:

I can’t figure out this listing. Where was this guitar made? Nashville? Memphis? Does it have a maple or mahogany neck? Etc all that said this is a very tempting guitar

goldtop0

Reaction score

Latest Threads