2021 SG 61 with Maestro

Heppe

Reaction score
Hi,

How is the tuning stability on the current 61 SG with Maestro vibrola?

I saw some youtube videos where the bridge was loose and instable and required an upgrade to Faber posts and tonepros bridge?

Are they that unreliable from the factory?

Last edited:

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a cheap knockoff and it’s awesome…
the maestros from the factory are fantastic in my experience

But I am a bigsby guy so my standards may be different and more forgiving than most…

But maestros are awesome imho

6EA60818-5CD1-4B4B-B33A-7D54C7D3ECFA.jpeg

smk506

Reaction score
To be honest I think the maestros vary a bit unit to unit. I’ve heard a lot of people knock them as pretty much unusable, but mine was fine.

Not 100% dependable, but it never threw things radically out of tune unless I would wang the snot out of it.

I used to pick up the whole guitar (firebird) by the arm and shake the heck out it like Allen Collins.

They’re not precise, but they’re cool.

Tim Plains

Reaction score
Guitar to guitar basis.

Maestro or no Maestro, I have never owned / tried a 61RI or small pickguard Standard that kept tune well. It's the flimsier neck joint. That's why the Custom Shop models have a sort of lip that extends out from the body.

Dogbreath

Reaction score
I have one and it stays in tune quite well. You just have to make sure that your strings are stretched. The bridge does lean back and forth. The original thumb wheels were domed on top to assist in the rocking motion. I’ve owned a couple of newer ones and the adjustment wheels had a smaller diameter on the top.

Jungle

Reaction score
The SG is not a vibrato/vibrola guitar.

Latest Threads