2021 R9 Finish Bleeding into Binding

dasherf17

Reaction score
View attachment 549499
Take it straight back, exchange for PRS.

You're welcome....

P.S. its completely normal btw. Seeing as you new an all, and we not be trollin' the noobs, well not until they have got their feet under the table.

to be completely serious, there are two things you may notice, one is a slight spreading of dye from under the tape used to mask, there is a tape that would stop that, but its hella expensive. The other type is the aniline dye reacting with your hands, maybe sweat, dunno, put that will add a thin sheen to the binding, or not so thin in the case of my R0.

Curious about the analine dye statement...aren't the R9s clear coated, covering the coloring? How would it get on his hands?

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Curious about the analine dye statement...aren't the R9s clear coated, covering the coloring? How would it get on his hands?
I see your point, was attempting to explain how i thought the dye bleed happens, not so much it gets on the players hands was my thinking, but some reaction from contact caused it. My R0 didn't show any bleed until i played it a lot, like hours a day for a few months. The fact it is under a clear coat is something I had't considered. Not that that helps explain in any way.

I see someone posted about the burlap grain filling method used in '58, the bleed maybe a specific to that year thing, that has been misappropriated for 'authenticity', which still doesn't answer why under a clear coat it still bleeds. Although i will probably read up on it. Like i need to read more, doh.

i still like the 'if it bleeds we can kill it' meme.

Steve2112

Reaction score
About a month ago I purchased my first Les Paul. I picked up a 2021 R9 re-issue (I think I"m using the correct lingo here). It's a nice guitar, but now that I've had it a little while I"m beginning to notice some details.

This past week I've noticed that the paint/finish for the back/sides seems to have bleed over into the binding. I'm a bit disappointed with a lack of detail, but perhaps they've done this as the originals were similar and well I guess the point of these re-issues is for them to be as close as possible to the originals.

I tried to use my cell to take a pic, but the bleeding doesn't come through in the phone, but it's definitely there.

Thoughts?
If you can;t get a picture of it then it's just your imagination.

Steve2112

Reaction score
I see your point, was attempting to explain how i thought the dye bleed happens, not so much it gets on the players hands was my thinking, but some reaction from contact caused it. My R0 didn't show any bleed until i played it a lot, like hours a day for a few months. The fact it is under a clear coat is something I had't considered. Not that that helps explain in any way.

I see someone posted about the burlap grain filling method used in '58, the bleed maybe a specific to that year thing, that has been misappropriated for 'authenticity', which still doesn't answer why under a clear coat it still bleeds. Although i will probably read up on it. Like i need to read more, doh.

i still like the 'if it bleeds we can kill it' meme.

"hours a day for months"..

and you are expecting no wear or effects. Hmmm.

Like what 10 hours a day for 10-15 months? that's like 3 thousand hours of playing~!

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
"hours a day for months"..

and you are expecting no wear or effects. Hmmm.

Like what 10 hours a day for 10-15 months? that's like 3 thousand hours of playing~!
Excuse me? I did not say, or imply that, at all. I stated what i observed on the R0 I have. I made no comment about my expectations about what i thought should happen in that time frame.

zdoggie

Reaction score
correct me if i'm wrong but I know if stain would bleed ,but I think that dye would so again I don't know if this flaw can be corrected.
zdog

enjoikevin

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with a little character. My 2020 R0 came with binding bleed and I embrace it. It’s the best guitar Ive ever played and Ill surely add some dents/dings/scratches over the years.

strat1701

El Diablo Cazador De Hombres
Reaction score
unnamed-2-jpg.549493

3179e8c9-c5c5-458e-81e4-cb1312918a14-jpeg.549499

Take it straight back, exchange for PRS.

9ff7bacd-17e0-491b-a384-846a44931568_screenshot.jpg

You must have wounded it....it's blood was on de leaves.....

Last edited:

StevenXmas

Reaction score
About a month ago I purchased my first Les Paul. I picked up a 2021 R9 re-issue (I think I"m using the correct lingo here). It's a nice guitar, but now that I've had it a little while I"m beginning to notice some details.

This past week I've noticed that the paint/finish for the back/sides seems to have bleed over into the binding. I'm a bit disappointed with a lack of detail, but perhaps they've done this as the originals were similar and well I guess the point of these re-issues is for them to be as close as possible to the originals.

I tried to use my cell to take a pic, but the bleeding doesn't come through in the phone, but it's definitely there.

Thoughts?

This is a normal characteristic of the aniline dye that is used. The dye is a powder, initially, that is had rubbed into the mahogany back which makes the mahognay grain patter "pop." As the guitar ozidises with the air the dye "bleeds" in to the creme binding turning it pink.

VictorB

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Sunlight will fade it away.

markguitar

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
This is a normal characteristic of the aniline dye that is used. The dye is a powder, initially, that is had rubbed into the mahogany back which makes the mahognay grain patter "pop." As the guitar ozidises with the air the dye "bleeds" in to the creme binding turning it pink.
The cherry aniline dye is mixed into the pore filler paste that is then wiped into the Mahogany. Once the clear lacquer is applied, the aniline dye migrates up thru the lacquer. It tends to be attracted to heat so it shows more concentrated on the neck binding in areas played to most.

strat1701

El Diablo Cazador De Hombres
Reaction score
It tends to be attracted to heat so it shows more concentrated on the neck binding in areas played to most.

attracted to heat....hmmmm....so.....if you slather mud on your hands and body and play will you negate the binding bleeding?????

I think Dutch was onto something, unbeknownst to him...

19092019_04-1280x720.jpg

sorry I can't resist.....

raytsh

Reaction score
I always thought this bleeding into the binding as a feature of the reissues since it was normal for the guitars made in the 50s to look like that.

Here is my 2020 R8. The bleeding is not so severe yet, but I expect it to get more in the future.

51334464054_320d5e39e2_c.jpg

Andrew1225

Reaction score
Got a lot of it happening 3rd~16th fret.
I find that it really does start to settle in tho after a while.

kelsodeez

Reaction score
I've also noticed that the fretboard areas where the binding bleed is happening the most, the red mahogany is fading quicker into a duller red. My neck is going to look like a natural back eventually

raytsh

Reaction score
My 2020 R8 starts to show bleeding at the neck areas where I play a lot. It's a nice touch and makes it somewhat more personal. Though, if I would not have known about that before I purchased the guitar, I would think this is strange, a defect even maybe.

IMG_5343.jpeg
IMG_5344.jpeg

Latest Threads