CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The black screws are interesting.
My '19 are silver.

Jfiery

Reaction score
I bought the same guitar last month and my screws are silver as well. Nice to make my 1st post on this forum to a person who has the same guitar. Can anyone tell me if the hardware on the 60s Standard is Chrome or Nickel?

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Beautiful top, congrats to you. I am very anal about fit and finish on anything I purchase so I get it. When I was a kid, I bought magazines from the back of the stack and made sure there were no imperfections. Seem like an easy fix too.
I was scared to read about your anal mags from the back of the stack!

:eek:

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Hello all,

Name’s Scott. Thought I’d celebrate joining the ranks of Les Paul owners by signing up here to ask a question (that I may already know the answer to).

Last week, I bought a brand new LP standard 60s iced tea. Plays like a dream, and to me at least, looks incredible.

Unfortunately I noticed the back plate wasn’t sitting flush, so lifted it to see what was causing it. To my eye it looks to be a combination of imperfect routing and an excess of lacquer causing a bulge. As you can see on the photo, they already had a go at scraping it down as it must have been even worse (cover plate fitment).

My question is, do I just chalk up this imperfection as ‘part of the charm’ of these hand crafted/finished instruments? Or can I expect better for the price of admission? (Worth noting I paid full sticker).

As a secondary question, this guitar came with some ugly black screws on the back covers. Every other current Standard I see for sale has nickel/chrome screws. Now this is an easy enough fix for me to do, just wondering if parts vary or if they fitted the wrong ones. As I said, I haven’t seen any other Standards with the flat black head screws.

Thanks in advance.
Beautiful guitar!
The top is quite particular and I would be surprised you'd get the same in a replacement.
But more than that, you mention that it "plays like a dream".
End of story.
It's a keeper.
:thumb:

Jfiery

Reaction score
Thanks. I assumed it would be but I've seen it listed as both on different music store sites. I usually can tell the difference but it looks cool and bluish silver so I needed to ask people who'd know. Thanks again.

RocketKing

Reaction score
Happy ngd!
If you're otherwise happy with it, let it be.
My 2014 Traditional has the usual bad scraping marks on the binding but it's a nice LP and would definitely not return it for something like that.
I also paid full price.
Enjoy as it is, it doesn't detract from the experience imo

redcoats1976

Reaction score
my 2017 tribute GT had an inlay on the fretboard sticking up.once i noticed it,it bugged me so i pried it up,scraped under it and superglued it back in...problem solved.that is a great looking top,im sure the replacement would not be as nice.

Nikki M

Reaction score
Hello all,

Name’s Scott. Thought I’d celebrate joining the ranks of Les Paul owners by signing up here to ask a question (that I may already know the answer to).

Last week, I bought a brand new LP standard 60s iced tea. Plays like a dream, and to me at least, looks incredible.

Unfortunately I noticed the back plate wasn’t sitting flush, so lifted it to see what was causing it. To my eye it looks to be a combination of imperfect routing and an excess of lacquer causing a bulge. As you can see on the photo, they already had a go at scraping it down as it must have been even worse (cover plate fitment).

My question is, do I just chalk up this imperfection as ‘part of the charm’ of these hand crafted/finished instruments? Or can I expect better for the price of admission? (Worth noting I paid full sticker).

As a secondary question, this guitar came with some ugly black screws on the back covers. Every other current Standard I see for sale has nickel/chrome screws. Now this is an easy enough fix for me to do, just wondering if parts vary or if they fitted the wrong ones. As I said, I haven’t seen any other Standards with the flat black head screws.

Thanks in advance.
I have a dent in mine..back of the headstock..requested a return or price reduction..customer service offered this:

Hello,
Our supervisor only approved $200 for this order. I have gone ahead with your approval and requested the payment plan be refunded $200.
Thanks for choosing AMS!

I took the $200.00..lol..enjoy your new 60's!!

Attachments

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a dent in mine..back of the headstock..requested a return or price reduction..customer service offered this:

Hello,
Our supervisor only approved $200 for this order. I have gone ahead with your approval and requested the payment plan be refunded $200.
Thanks for choosing AMS!
Because it would have cost them a lot more than $200, and likely 100% of their margin, to process the return, pay for shipping both ways, and then list and sell your original as "scratch and dent"... for $200 less.
Basically, someone else would have gotten your $200 discount, and they'd have paid a total of $400 shipping two guitars that they only made $500 on.

dasherf17

Reaction score
I wouldn’t love looking at it ... but I like that top and there’s no way if I loved the tone and playability that I would send it back and roll the dice on a replacement.

I would be tempted to take a furniture marker as close to the finish color as possible and just do that inside lip of the rout so the line that sticks out would visually mostly go away. Tempted ... but probably just live with it.
If it plays and sounds really nice...keep it. Try sanding it down to even it out (not so far as to cut thru to wood), change to 600 grit, 1000, polish till glossy...or brush a clear lacquer (it's under the cover).

Mesamay2003

Reaction score
The backplate not sitting evenly flush is a common issue on the new LP's, my new Slash Standard had the same issue...I got a great deal on mine, and it only weighs 7lbs 14.7oz and plays/sounds great, so I cleaned it up a bit and kept it.

Latest Threads