2021 Les Paul Standard 60s

Milsco

Reaction score
Hello all,

Name’s Scott. Thought I’d celebrate joining the ranks of Les Paul owners by signing up here to ask a question (that I may already know the answer to).

Last week, I bought a brand new LP standard 60s iced tea. Plays like a dream, and to me at least, looks incredible.

Unfortunately I noticed the back plate wasn’t sitting flush, so lifted it to see what was causing it. To my eye it looks to be a combination of imperfect routing and an excess of lacquer causing a bulge. As you can see on the photo, they already had a go at scraping it down as it must have been even worse (cover plate fitment).

My question is, do I just chalk up this imperfection as ‘part of the charm’ of these hand crafted/finished instruments? Or can I expect better for the price of admission? (Worth noting I paid full sticker).

As a secondary question, this guitar came with some ugly black screws on the back covers. Every other current Standard I see for sale has nickel/chrome screws. Now this is an easy enough fix for me to do, just wondering if parts vary or if they fitted the wrong ones. As I said, I haven’t seen any other Standards with the flat black head screws.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

Milsco

Reaction score
I forgot to mention, I am absolutely not expecting perfection. The purpose of my questions is more about where I should be setting my expectations, if that makes sense.

BDW60

Reaction score
I wouldn’t love looking at it ... but I like that top and there’s no way if I loved the tone and playability that I would send it back and roll the dice on a replacement.

I would be tempted to take a furniture marker as close to the finish color as possible and just do that inside lip of the rout so the line that sticks out would visually mostly go away. Tempted ... but probably just live with it.

Gibsonrocknroll

Reaction score
Congrats on your new Les Paul. Beautiful guitar. As you said you like the guitar. It's a keeper. I would contact the place I purchased it from and see if they will give you a discount. I wouldn't return it over this because the guitar plays good. You can sand down the lacquer with sandpaper and paint it with a touchup marker. Stewmac has them. Then replace the screws.

28E72184-132E-4CD0-AD69-376252BF4DFA.jpeg

Bro KV

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beautiful top, congrats to you. I am very anal about fit and finish on anything I purchase so I get it. When I was a kid, I bought magazines from the back of the stack and made sure there were no imperfections. Seem like an easy fix too.

Justin_Case

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The only one who's going to see it is " Willie the One Eyed Wonder Worm ".

Sweet LP - Go wear the frets out!

diogoguitar

Reaction score
Hmmm if that is the only flaw in the guitar, I'd just take it as "part of the charm".

If that makes you any happier, I noticed my Traditional 50's has a flaw in the binding (it's sticking out in the low E string side) - so that the pickup ring is a little cramped.
It did take me 12 years to notice... so it may be A LITTLE too late to return it :)

Other than that, the guitar is flawless and is the best LP I ever played... I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you like how it plays, feels and sounds, keep it. Make sure there is no major flaw though.

1619976414057.png

Attachments

Milsco

Reaction score
Thank you all for the feedback. Definitely echoes my thoughts on the matter - not ideal; but not a deal breaker.

I’m exploring options to touch it up and blend it in. It’s fortunate that it is where it is, because the finish in the cavity isn’t perfect from the factory anyway so shouldn’t be too difficult I don’t think. Those pens look great, but sadly I can’t see them in the UK and StewMac won’t send them here for some reason. I have found some touch up nitro pots. Guessing the best colour to go with would be heritage cherry?

www.northwestguitars.co.uk/amp/heritage-cherry-nitrocellulose-touch-up-pot-50ml/

Thought I’d throw in one more photo of the top from a different angle for good measure. The fact she’s such a looker has completely ruled out returning/exchanging her.

Attachments

OldBenKenobi

Reaction score
Regarding black back screws, I've never heard of them being stock but that's a swap I do on my backplates anyway. Same logic behind using black screws on black pickup rings.

ARandall

Reaction score
The covers on the back are there to cover up the 'working hub' of the guitar. Not only is it impossible/impractical to buff out recessed cavities, but why on earth would any maker waste time even finish sanding areas that are going to be covered anyhow.

Milsco

Reaction score
@ARandall I get what you mean, but the reason I noticed this in the first place is that the cover wasn’t sitting flush.

I don’t expect them to make the cavity as aesthetically well finished as the top or the back of the guitar, but I would definitely expect it to be sanded to the point where the cover fits as intended.

What I was unsure of was whether or not leaving the wood bare where they had to sand down was in line with what I should expect.

Milsco

Reaction score
Regarding black back screws, I've never heard of them being stock but that's a swap I do on my backplates anyway. Same logic behind using black screws on black pickup rings.
Having a look through the website it seems that the Modern collection guitars have the black screws and textured back covers, while the original collection pieces get the gloss covers and silver screws.

Mine got the correct glossy covers, so I’m guessing they just grabbed the wrong screws from the parts bin.

It’s £4 for 20 screws over here so this is a simple fix.

endial

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, Scott. Dandy guitar there. Glad you're keeping her.

Pop1655

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome! Way to step up to the plate on your first swing. Very nice!

VidPro

Reaction score
Beautiful top, congrats to you. I am very anal about fit and finish on anything I purchase so I get it. When I was a kid, I bought magazines from the back of the stack and made sure there were no imperfections. Seem like an easy fix too.
Laughing about the magazine comment...same here. LOL!

Latest Threads