2021 Les Paul Classic or Standard.

Thundergod

Reaction score
I'm on the hunt for a new Les Paul and will have to order it online, as usual my local Gibson dealers only carry tributes and studios.

Does anyone own the current version of both the classic and the standard? I'm between those.

From what I have read the classic is cheaper and comes with push pull knobs for coil tap, out of phase and something else I don't remember. I don't really find that necessary but it's a nice feature, also it can be ordered in RED which is a finish I love and miss.
The standard is supposed to sport flame maple top, right? How are Gibson standard tops these days? If they aren't as nice as they were 12/20 years ago I'd rather get a gold top.

Anyway.... Opinions and experiences are welcome.

Thundergod

Reaction score
Also what's the deal with the traditional? Do they still produce it?
And what is the deal with the modern? Is it better than a standard/worth the difference in price?

InTheEvening

Reaction score
I'm on the hunt for a new Les Paul and will have to order it online, as usual my local Gibson dealers only carry tributes and studios.

Does anyone own the current version of both the classic and the standard? I'm between those.

From what I have read the classic is cheaper and comes with push pull knobs for coil tap, out of phase and something else I don't remember. I don't really find that necessary but it's a nice feature, also it can be ordered in RED which is a finish I love and miss.
The standard is supposed to sport flame maple top, right? How are Gibson standard tops these days? If they aren't as nice as they were 12/20 years ago I'd rather get a gold top.

Anyway.... Opinions and experiences are welcome.
I don’t own both, but I’ve played the classic in the store and bought a standard 60’s last year.
Both have the slim neck profile, Gibson 61 R/T pickups.
Classic has the cool switching options with PCB wiring, uncovered pickups, and weight relief.
Standard has traditional hand wiring but no added switching options, covered pickups, no weight relief.

I think it comes down to whether you’re a traditionalist or like the modern/advanced features. I genuinely enjoyed and liked both in the store, but it being my first LP, I wanted something more traditional and the finish I wanted was only available in the standard 60’s so that played a big part of why I got the standard. But many on here state the classic is the better overall bang for the buck if you like the features.

As for the tops on the new standard, they vary a lot. I’ve seen some that have minimal flame, and others which would give the custom shop bursts a run for there money. Some have great flame and others not so much, so it’s a bit luck of the draw. If you’re ordering online, I’d ask for a pic of the actual guitar and top before purchasing.

Last edited:

Thundergod

Reaction score
Thanks. Didn't know the classic had weight relief. I'll ask for pictures, especially if I decide to go for a standard.

bugman

Reaction score
Wildwoods has a special run of standards in different colors and nicer tops, I jus5 bough5 a new 50s STD over the Classic, I like the bigger neck. I don’t need the push pull and the pickups are nicer

InTheEvening

Reaction score
Thanks. Didn't know the classic had weight relief. I'll ask for pictures, especially if I decide to go for a standard.
Sure thing, best of luck on the hunt. Half the fun is the journey of finding the guitar.

As for the traditional, Gibson stopped production of them and replaced them with the standard 50’s/60’s. You can still find them used but traditionals varied in specs over the years, so you will want to look up the exact specs for the year of traditional you’re considering.

The LP modern is part of the modern collection like the classic, but has more advanced features. Neck has assymetrical profile and compound radius board, heel carve for upper fret access, ebony finger baord and I believe the pickups are hotter. It also has Ultra modern weight relief vs the traditional 9 hole weight relief in the classic and full solid body in the standard. Only played a few and didn’t bond with them in the store but they seem cool. They cost a bit more than the standard, def worth a look but it’s a different beast from the standards and classics.

Phillycheez402

Reaction score
My fucking trad pro v is my #1... also have a newer standard 50s, but, the playability isnt the same (for me)

TXOldRedRocker

A Variant Of Unknown Origin
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have 3 Standard's, 1 Classic, 1 Trad Pro V, 1 Tribute and 1 Custom Shop. (All are less than 4 years old. The Classic and Trad are 2019 and 2020 respectively. I had Strat's and PRS's before I became an LP addict.)

If money's no object, I rank them CS, Standard, Classic, Trad Pro V and then Tribute. My #1 is a Standard. Beautiful with Fralin Pure PAF's. Love the flame tops on my Standard's. I have a Heritage Cherry Suburst Classic. Beautiful guitar, great top with no flame. I happen to play the Trad Pro V the most because I found an anomaly. It has a thinner neck than it's supposed to, thinnest I own, and I have arthritis.

For me, the CS, Standard's and Classic are a step above the Trad Pro V and the Tribute. As for the ones I own, the Classic has the same basic quality as the Standard's without the extra touch of flame, etc. The Binding is just as good. Necks feel the same. I don't care about pickups and wiring too much. I generally swap out the PUPs and put in quality 50's wiring anyway. It's more about playability, quality and appearance.

If I'm buying my first, or my best, excluding a CS, I'm buying a Standard. I bought the Classic because I had 3 Standard's and the Heritage Cherry had such a beautiful Classic Rock look that I wanted one of them too. I bought it in person, so I was able to play it and check it out before buying.

Hope this helps.

LesPauls7small.jpg

Sorry to those that have seen me post this picture before. Felt it apropos to my reply and the OP.

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
My brother plays a little guitar, but did not own one. He had it in his mind to get a guitar at some point, but the final tipping point for him was when I bought my second Les Paul (a 2018 Les Paul Classic Player Plus w/ P90s) -- he had that moment of clarity where you know "hey, I really want a Les Paul, too". Wanting humbuckers, he settled on the 60s Standard or the Classic. He ultimately got a Classic due to the price, feeling even at $2K he was spending more money than he should be spending considering his playing level. Then falling in love with one of Sweetwater's limited color editions for the Classic, the seed was sown ... the Classic was on its way.

Reactions: JMP

jstarr823

Starr Guitar Works
Reaction score
I've owned several of both. If you want a slimmer neck, I'd go with the Classic, as it is very similar to the 60s Standard.

Thundergod

Reaction score
I have 3 Standard's, 1 Classic, 1 Trad Pro V, 1 Tribute and 1 Custom Shop. (All are less than 4 years old. The Classic and Trad are 2019 and 2020 respectively. I had Strat's and PRS's before I became an LP addict.)

If money's no object, I rank them CS, Standard, Classic, Trad Pro V and then Tribute. My #1 is a Standard. Beautiful with Fralin Pure PAF's. Love the flame tops on my Standard's. I have a Heritage Cherry Suburst Classic. Beautiful guitar, great top with no flame. I happen to play the Trad Pro V the most because I found an anomaly. It has a thinner neck than it's supposed to, thinnest I own, and I have arthritis.

For me, the CS, Standard's and Classic are a step above the Trad Pro V and the Tribute. As for the ones I own, the Classic has the same basic quality as the Standard's without the extra touch of flame, etc. The Binding is just as good. Necks feel the same. I don't care about pickups and wiring too much. I generally swap out the PUPs and put in quality 50's wiring anyway. It's more about playability, quality and appearance.

If I'm buying my first, or my best, excluding a CS, I'm buying a Standard. I bought the Classic because I had 3 Standard's and the Heritage Cherry had such a beautiful Classic Rock look that I wanted one of them too. I bought it in person, so I was able to play it and check it out before buying.

Hope this helps.

View attachment 548483

Sorry to those that have seen me post this picture before. Felt it apropos to my reply and the OP.
Thanks a lot. Have you had any issues with the neck binding on any of the guitars?
When I last owned Gibson Les pauls 10 years ago all of them had some minor flaw on neck binding. One of them was not minor,the high e string would get stuck between the binding/nib and the fret from fret 10 to fret 12... It was awful

Musha Ring

Reaction score
I won't go over the specs because you already know about em. I'll just give my personal experience.

Two of my main guitars are a 2020 Classic and a 2016 Traditional. I also frequently play a friend's 2020 50s Standard.

Although it has weight relief, the Classic is a full pound heavier than my Traditional. In fact, it's the heaviest Les Paul I've ever owned at 10.8 lbs. It's flawless and an absolute dream guitar. I love it. I don't care if the top is cheaper, I got ebony anyways. I really can't say anything bad about it.

My Trad and buddy's 50s Standard are similar. Both have flame tops, fat 50s necks and 50s wiring. I prefer my Trad for a few reasons, but unless you're cool with going used (they don't make the Traditionals anymore) than I guess that's a moot point.

All three guitars were flawless when new. Having owned many, many guitars, Gibsons especially, I'm pretty picky. Probably to a point most would scoff at. But I like what I like. And I could find no reason to not love these guitars.

It'll come down to whatever specs suit you best. Slimmer neck, or thicker neck? Fancy wiring, or 50s wiring?

It'll probably most likely come down to which you want to buy first. :thumb:

Latest Threads