2021 Fretboards

Musha Ring

Reaction score
I don’t mind lighter rosewood, but like the other guys I do use some music nomad oil on the fretboard whenever I take possession of a guitar. I’ve only once had an ebony fretboard and it looked just like my darker rosewood guitars. If I ever get a LPC, I want the ebony uniformly dark, even if that means dye is used.
I just picked up an Epiphone Les Paul Custom today and the ebony fingerboard is dyed. I love it. It's uniform and looks exactly the way I want it to.

zdoggie

Reaction score
there is very little constsncy in wood grain and color I veries a lot.

zdog

TheWelder

Reaction score
For whatever reason, the Internet has determined that darker rosewood is vastly superior, and really light rosewood boards are essentially firewood. I'm sure that most certainly wouldn't turn down this '54 with a light board, however:

Audrix

Reaction score
Brazilian Rosewood on fender masterbuilt.jpg brazilian rosewood.jpg indian rosewood custom shop.jpg Rosewood  LP.jpg rosewood CS.jpg rosewood.jpg
I prefer dark rosewood fretboard
Some dealers ask for dark ones
Some dealers don't
Even brazilian rosewood can be dark or not (little red)

Lemon oil made some my fretboards darker: but only for a few weeks!

Peter Mac

Reaction score
One key to older fretboards being darker was the wood used back in the day. Up until around 1982, most Brazilian or East Indian boards were from Old-Growth forests. Now they are from new growth forests and are usually not stored and cured for as long as they used to be. Most boards these days are Madagascar Rosewood - still a Dalbergia species - but doesn't seem to have as dark a heartwood as D. negra or D. latifolia.
Montys Guitars, UK sell a darkening wax for fingerboards also called Montypresso. Works like a charm.

Attachments

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
i am very sparing with the oil, a very light dab after a couple of weeks from new, and wiped over to remove any not absorbed. then left for however long it takes to look dry again.

1Mudman

Reaction score
I use Old World Scratch cover for dark woods and really like it. I apply with a rag and work it in and reapply if needed after letting it sit for several minutes. I use a tooth brush to make sure I get the gunk out of the fret line. Then I wipe off any access. It doesnt seem to really darken the wood any but sure keeps my guitar fretboards in great looking shape. I wash my hands very well before playing as finger grime and hand oils can really build up a nasty looking fret board. I like my investment looking good all the time and I think a clean neck and fret board is a fast neck. Just me though, some people like the ole grungy, beat up dirty look. They are more than welcome to their opinions. I guess if the neck looks nasty not so many people will be wanting to play your guitar?

Wise Guy

Reaction score
My 60s Standard had the same look when it arrived. The board was bone dry. A light touch of lemon oil darkened it nicely.
Took me about 3 applications of lemon oil to get my fretboard up to par. Bone dry was an understatement!

Wise Guy

Reaction score
My SG Classic has a super blonde rosewood fretboard.

1634899908814.png

Latest Threads