2021 Epiphone Les Paul Custom Ebony

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I have purchased quite a few Les Paul's in the past year or so. I started with the Joe Bonamassa Custom Les Paul Black Beauty, this is a great guitar. I loved the aged look, the ebony fingerboard, and the Probucker 2/3 pickups. I did a comparison between my Gibson Les Paul Custom and the Epiphone JB Custom BB, and they sounded almost identical. I really started to believe that Epiphone had turned things around and were making there guitars better. I decided to pick up the Epiphone Les Paul Modern, because I loved the Ebony fingerboard and Probucker 2/3 pickups. Plus, I wanted to see the quality of this instrument. I did take it to my Luthier for a setup with fret leveling/crowning and some nut adjustments. This guitar was nice before I took it to him, but came back even better, wow what a player and it sounds fantastic. After playing the LP Modern for a bit, I realized how much I like the Slim Taper necks and the 58 neck was just ok to me, just a little bit too big for me to like entirely. I still wanted an Ebony LP Custom to play so I ordered the Epiphone Les Paul Custom in Ebony. I also figured with my purchase from Sweetwater it would be great to get it Plek'd and setup with my favorite strings before shipping it to me. This LP Custom came and was just perfect in every way, the slim taper neck, ebony fretboard, probucker 2/3 pickups and the plek/setup gave me a fantastic guitar. I will just keep the Joe B Custom BB for keeps sake, maybe make a profit off of it. When the Joe B 59 Lazarus Dirty Lemon Burst came out this past year, I had actually been looking for a Lemon Burst Gibson Les Paul at a reasonable price for a while. The lowest price I could find was like 3.5k and up, 5k for one that was not totally beaten up. With Epiphone quality on the rise, it was a no brainer to grab this limited run guitar and wow what a great guitar. The 59 neck on Lazarus was a little bigger than I was expecting, I was actually hoping it was closer to the newer Les Paul 60's necks. The neck on the 59 is still not as big as the 58, so it is still pretty comfortable to play on for me, but not perfect. I have had a great time playing the 59 since I purchased it and I had actually put the Epiphone Les Paul Custom back in the case I purchased for it. So now I had the bug for a Les Paul Standard 60's, (GAS is a bitch) but I did not like the colors Epiphone was offering on the LP 60's. Sweetwater had the Epiphone LP 50's in a Sweetwater Exclusive Lemon Burst color that was nice, but I wanted an LP 60's neck. I had actually thought about purchasing the Epiphone LP 50's in Lemon Burst and having my Luthier shave down the neck a bit. Then I saw that Sweetwater had the Gibson Les Paul Standard 60's in Lemon Burst, but a lot of the tops were a bit to light/bright and not great. So I just sat on things for a bit watching both the Epiphone 50's Lemon Burst and Gibson 60's Lemon Burst top on Sweetwater. For the longest time I did not see a Gibson Lemon Burst top I liked, then all of a sudden, some nice tops started popping up. I was kind of hard pressed to spend 3k on a guitar since the Epiphone's are really fantastic and great playing guitars. But GAS for a 60's Lemon Burst already had me at hello. Haha Anyway, all the posts lately about Gibson compared to Epiphone blah. blah.. blah... Between GAS and those kinds of posts, I figured I would give it a shot, especially when a top popped up I loved. I hoped I would not regret my purchase, I kind of hoped it would be a better feeling/playing sounding guitar for 3-4 times as much money. The Gibson LP Std. 60's came, and it felt pretty good, maybe a little bit sturdier in my hands than the Lazarus and LP Custom. Part of this was because of the neck and body weight of my new Gibson LP 60's, being a bit more substantial than my Lazaus and LP Custom. I did have a slight ping in the G: string of the new Gibson and the nut did need a little adjustment, so off it went to my Luthier. I pulled the Epiphone Les Paul Custom out of the case and put it on the wall, I sold my Epiphone Les Paul Modern just before X-Mas, I mean I only really need 5-6 guitars max. Between the 59 neck and the LP Standard 60's neck, I was kind of thinking that the Slimmer Slim Taper 60's necks were actually a little bit too slim for my liking. While my new Gibson 60's was in the shop, I was going back and forth with the Lazarus and the Epi LP Custom, wow so much fun. I picked up the Faber Bridge and locking tuners for Lazarus and after installing, it took a little bit to get everything right on the setup and it was still a little bit off. So when I picked up my new Gibson LP 60's from my Luthier, I dopped off Lazarus for a complete working over with setup, fret leveling, nut adjustment, the whole works. Long story short... (yea right you're thinking, long story short my ass. haha )

Yesterday I spent a couple hours playing the Epiphone Les Paul Custom and my new Gibson Les Paul 60's after coming back from my Luthier. Man I love the Ebony fingerboard on the Epiphone Les Paul Custom, and the Slimmer Slim Taper neck is not to small for me, it still feels great to play, I just love it. I kind of had to break in the Daddario NYXL strings I am trying out on the Gibson, they were kind of stiff at first and I was just not liking them. I took a break for a bit and then came back to playing and started with the Epiphone Les Paul Custom, and thinking, man... I really wasted my money on the Gibson, this guitar is so great how could anything be better to play. I then went back to the Gibson, and that was really just it, the NYXL strings just needed to be played for a bit to unstiffen them, I think. I was going back and forth to see which I liked better, but both are fantastic. I was thinking that I wish the fingerboard on the Gibson was Ebony, but after the professional setup and string break in, it feels just as fantastic as my Epi LP Custom. I can't wait to get Lazarus back from my Luthier, the setup will be fantastic and she will be spectacular. I am so blessed to have such fine instruments.

Anyone thinking about purchasing an Epiphone Les Paul Custom, which these are very much readily available most of the time in Alpine White or Ebony colors. I say go for it, these Epiphone Les Paul Customs are fantastic and 1/3 to 1/4 the price of a Gibson Les Paul. I would get it Plek'd/setup with your purchase with your favorite strings, or if you have a good Luthier, they can fret level/setup your new guitar so it comes back perfect. You will not be disappointed; I just love mine.

epilpcustom5.jpg

epilpcustom6.jpg
gibilp60s1.jpg

This LP Modern below on the right I have sold, this was a nice Guitar, but not as nice as my Epiphone Les Paul Custom. If you want a light guitar though, these Les Paul Moderns scream and have a lot of great features.
guitarwall.jpg

Last edited:

rbraad68

Reaction score
I have purchased quite a few Les Paul's in the past year or so. I started with the Joe Bonamassa Custom Les Paul Black Beauty, this is a great guitar. I loved the aged look, the ebony fingerboard, and the Probucker 2/3 pickups. I did a comparison between my Gibson Les Paul Custom and the Epiphone JB Custom BB, and they sounded almost identical. I really started to believe that Epiphone had turned things around and were making there guitars better. I decided to pick up the Epiphone Les Paul Modern, because I loved the Ebony fingerboard and Probucker 2/3 pickups. Plus, I wanted to see the quality of this instrument. I did take it to my Luthier for a setup with fret leveling/crowning and some nut adjustments. This guitar was nice before I took it to him, but came back even better, wow what a player and it sounds fantastic. After playing the LP Modern for a bit, I realized how much I like the Slim Taper necks and the 58 neck was just ok to me, just a little bit too big for me to like entirely. I still wanted an Ebony LP Custom to play so I ordered the Epiphone Les Paul Custom in Ebony. I also figured with my purchase from Sweetwater it would be great to get it Plek'd and setup with my favorite strings before shipping it to me. This LP Custom came and was just perfect in every way, the slim taper neck, ebony fretboard, probucker 2/3 pickups and the plek/setup gave me a fantastic guitar. I will just keep the Joe B Custom BB for keeps sake, maybe make a profit off of it. When the Joe B 59 Lazarus Dirty Lemon Burst came out this past year, I had actually been looking for a Lemon Burst Gibson Les Paul at a reasonable price for a while. The lowest price I could find was like 3.5k and up, 5k for one that was not totally beaten up. With Epiphone quality on the rise, it was a no brainer to grab this limited run guitar and wow what a great guitar. The 59 neck on Lazarus was a little bigger than I was expecting, I was actually hoping it was closer to the newer Les Paul 60's necks. The neck on the 59 is still not as big as the 58, so it is still pretty comfortable to play on for me, but not perfect. I have had a great time playing the 59 since I purchased it and I had actually put the Epiphone Les Paul Custom back in the case I purchased for it. So now I had the bug for a Les Paul Standard 60's, (GAS is a bitch) but I did not like the colors Epiphone was offering on the LP 60's. Sweetwater had the Epiphone LP 50's in a Sweetwater Exclusive Lemon Burst color that was nice, but I wanted an LP 60's neck. I had actually thought about purchasing the Epiphone LP 50's in Lemon Burst and having my Luthier shave down the neck a bit. Then I saw that Sweetwater had the Gibson Les Paul Standard 60's in Lemon Burst, but a lot of the tops were a bit to light/bright and not great. So I just sat on things for a bit watching both the Epiphone 50's Lemon Burst and Gibson 60's Lemon Burst top on Sweetwater. For the longest time I did not see a Gibson Lemon Burst top I liked, then all of a sudden, some nice tops started popping up. I was kind of hard pressed to spend 3k on a guitar since the Epiphone's are really fantastic and great playing guitars. But GAS for a 60's Lemon Burst already had me at hello. Haha Anyway, all the posts lately about Gibson compared to Epiphone blah. blah.. blah... Between GAS and those kinds of posts, I figured I would give it a shot, especially when a top popped up I loved. I hoped I would not regret my purchase, I kind of hoped it would be a better feeling/playing sounding guitar for 3-4 times as much money. The Gibson LP Std. 60's came, and it felt pretty good, maybe a little bit sturdier in my hands than the Lazarus and LP Custom. Part of this was because of the neck and body weight of my new Gibson LP 60's, being a bit more substantial than my Lazaus and LP Custom. I did have a slight ping in the G: string of the new Gibson and the nut did need a little adjustment, so off it went to my Luthier. I pulled the Epiphone Les Paul Custom out of the case and put it on the wall, I sold my Epiphone Les Paul Modern just before X-Mas, I mean I only really need 5-6 guitars max. Between the 59 neck and the LP Standard 60's neck, I was kind of thinking that the Slimmer Slim Taper 60's necks were actually a little bit too slim for my liking. While my new Gibson 60's was in the shop, I was going back and forth with the Lazarus and the Epi LP Custom, wow so much fun. I picked up the Faber Bridge and locking tuners for Lazarus and after installing, it took a little bit to get everything right on the setup and it was still a little bit off. So when I picked up my new Gibson LP 60's from my Luthier, I dopped off Lazarus for a complete working over with setup, fret leveling, nut adjustment, the whole works. Long story short... (yea right you're thinking, long story short my ass. haha )

Yesterday I spent a couple hours playing the Epiphone Les Paul Custom and my new Gibson Les Paul 60's after coming back from my Luthier. Man I love the Ebony fingerboard on the Epiphone Les Paul Custom, and the Slimmer Slim Taper neck is not to small for me, it still feels great to play, I just love it. I kind of had to break in the Daddario NYXL strings I am trying out on the Gibson, they were kind of stiff at first and I was just not liking them. I took a break for a bit and then came back to playing and started with the Epiphone Les Paul Custom, and thinking, man... I really wasted my money on the Gibson, this guitar is so great how could anything be better to play. I then went back to the Gibson, and that was really just it, the NYXL strings just needed to be played for a bit to unstiffen them, I think. I was going back and forth to see which I liked better, but both are fantastic. I was thinking that I wish the fingerboard on the Gibson was Ebony, but after the professional setup and string break in, it feels just as fantastic as my Epi LP Custom. I can't wait to get Lazarus back from my Luthier, the setup will be fantastic and she will be spectacular. I am so blessed to have such fine instruments.

Anyone thinking about purchasing an Epiphone Les Paul Custom, which these are very much readily available most of the time in Alpine White or Ebony colors. I say go for it, these Epiphone Les Paul Customs are fantastic and 1/3 to 1/4 the price of a Gibson Les Paul. I would get it Plek'd/setup with your purchase with your favorite strings, or if you have a good Luthier, they can fret level/setup your new guitar so it comes back perfect. You will not be disappointed; I just love mine.

View attachment 581660
View attachment 581661 View attachment 581662

This LP Modern below on the right I have sold, this was a nice Guitar, but not as nice as my Epiphone Les Paul Custom.
View attachment 581663

Hell yeah man. Twice i almost traded my custom away for a 59 and both times i wound up trading something else. My custom is an early run of the first 2020s it's actually dated 2019 of November .. Took me quite a while to bond with the guitar but I totally agree these new customs nice. I wound up putting a set of Gibson pups in it with a 50's harness. Thing is a keeper for sure man. I will never get rid of it this thing is going to grave with me :)
face lift 01.jpg

theycallmetex

Reaction score
Agreed, they are fantastic guitars. I also have an ebony Custom and the JB Black Beauty. I like both necks. The two guitars also sound quite different, the Custom is brighter and has more attack. The BB is warmer and has more bloom. Both guitars have had their pickups swapped, Sigil London ‘66 in the Custom, and Sigil Fire & Water ‘70 in the BB.

These guitars are so good that I’ve started selling off my Gibson LP’s.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I did sell off my Gibson Les Paul Custom early last year, the Joe B. BB filled that void with a very similar Medium C neck and the tone was almost exact. I just never really bonded with my Gibson Custom once I got past the honeymoon phase. It did have a really nice growl to it though. Then when I got the LP Modern with the Slim Taper neck, it was just easier to play. So along came the Epiphone LP Custom, I mean all 3 of these Epiphone guitars are just top notch, it doesn't get much better after a proper setup and fret leveling if needed. Sure I can sort of setup a guitar the way I like, but it's not perfect and I still love the guitars. After a proper setup and such, Wow, WOw, WOW is all I can say, so nice.

A couple of people mentioned that they don't want to deprive themselves later in life for the things we want, life is too short and just enjoy it while you can. That is why I decided to go for it with the Gibson Les Paul 60's, just give it a shot and see how it is. The neck is somewhere between a 59 and what is considered a Slim Taper 60's neck. I think they call it a Slim Taper C neck for the Les Paul Standard 60's. The shoulder is not as big as a 59 and it is just a tad slimmer, I think they call it a True 60's neck. Anyway, I have never actually played an actual Gibson 59 or 60 to know how they feel and sound, but I am definitely having a fun time with the Gibson and Epiphone Inspired by Gibson models. It sounds like a lot of you are having just as much fun.

But again... If you don't have the money for a Gibson Custom or Gibson 59/60's Guitar, Epiphone has got you covered and with a good setup/fret leveling if needed, you will be very happy with them. Even my brand-new Gibson needed a proper setup. It did not need fret leveling because they do come Plek'd already, but after shipping them around to dealers and then your home, they just need a little extra TLC after they settle into their new home. The Climate is very different here is California compared to Indiana.

Last edited:

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Oh... I just purchased some Gold Keystone Ratio Locking tuners for my LP Custom, should be here Tuesday. I have not changed the strings on my LP Custom since I got it. I figure the fretboard needs a good oiling as well as the strings definitely need changing. I just love the vintage looking Keystone tuners over Kidney tuners and nothing beats locking tuners as well. I picked up the Graph Tech Ratio Vintage Locking tuners for my new Gibson and like them so much, I picked up a pair of Gold ones for my Epiphone LP Custom. It is weird that the locking plates that come with the gold ones are the same color as the Chrome plated ones. Even the screws are silver, that is weird. I think I am just going to spray paint the locking plates and screws gold, let them dry for a day or so then put them on.

Neofelis Nebulosa

Reaction score

View attachment 581660
View attachment 581661 View attachment 581662

This LP Modern below on the right I have sold, this was a nice Guitar, but not as nice as my Epiphone Les Paul Custom.
View attachment 581663
Man, that's a lot of words up there...

thanks for the pitchers :jb:

rbraad68

Reaction score
Agreed, they are fantastic guitars. I also have an ebony Custom and the JB Black Beauty. I like both necks. The two guitars also sound quite different, the Custom is brighter and has more attack. The BB is warmer and has more bloom. Both guitars have had their pickups swapped, Sigil London ‘66 in the Custom, and Sigil Fire & Water ‘70 in the BB.

These guitars are so good that I’ve started selling off my Gibson LP’s.
i have been playing along time and played a lot of different guitars so i can deal with just about every neck pro file imaginable so for me the neck profile i can adapt to. But i will say that I wish this custom had a thicker profile. i had a 2007/8 custom that i traded away for one of these newer 59's that had a nice chunky profile. i wish they would come out with a custom that has a bigger pro file . That would be my only complaint about these new customs. other wise these new customs are great playing guitars !!

Attachments

• cream lp.jpg
    cream lp.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 18

rbraad68

Reaction score
The current headstock with the bigger diamond on the Customs is so bad ass, so much better than the previous headstock and diamond used.
ahh i have an older one of the 2020's it's not like it's awefull but yes i want to get one of the updated head stock and bigger diamonds prob going to be the alpine white since i have the ebony one.
2020 head stock 01.jpg

rbraad68

Reaction score
I did sell off my Gibson Les Paul Custom early last year, the Joe B. BB filled that void with a very similar Medium C neck and the tone was almost exact. I just never really bonded with my Gibson Custom once I got past the honeymoon phase. It did have a really nice growl to it though. Then when I got the LP Modern with the Slim Taper neck, it was just easier to play. So along came the Epiphone LP Custom, I mean all 3 of these Epiphone guitars are just top notch, it doesn't get much better after a proper setup and fret leveling if needed. Sure I can sort of setup a guitar the way I like, but it's not perfect and I still love the guitars. After a proper setup and such, Wow, WOw, WOW is all I can say, so nice.

A couple of people mentioned that they don't want to deprive themselves later in life for the things we want, life is too short and just enjoy it while you can. That is why I decided to go for it with the Gibson Les Paul 60's, just give it a shot and see how it is. The neck is somewhere between a 59 and what is considered a Slim Taper 60's neck. I think they call it a Slim Taper C neck for the Les Paul Standard 60's. The shoulder is not as big as a 59 and it is just a tad slimmer, I think they call it a True 60's neck. Anyway, I have never actually played an actual Gibson 59 or 60 to know how they feel and sound, but I am definitely having a fun time with the Gibson and Epiphone Inspired by Gibson models. It sounds like a lot of you are having just as much fun.

But again... If you don't have the money for a Gibson Custom or Gibson 59/60's Guitar, Epiphone has got you covered and with a good setup/fret leveling if needed, you will be very happy with them. Even my brand-new Gibson needed a proper setup. It did not need fret leveling because they do come Plek'd already, but after shipping them around to dealers and then your home, they just need a little extra TLC after they settle into their new home. The Climate is very different here is California compared to Indiana.

i have a 60's standard and i will say that even though i really don't play it much it really is an under rated guitar. the shoulder on mine is pretty wide and am willing to bet that the 59 is really close to my 60's profile., infact i own 3 59's and they are all different from each other. i would think they would of been more consistent with thier neck profiles but no they are all different from each other. these 60's standards are deff really nice guitars!!

Attachments

• 60s 05.jpg
    60s 05.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Thanks, I am using the 9-46 on my Gibson right now and we shall see if I keep using them. The jury is still out, but I've only had them on for a couple of days so far.

Mahoot

Reaction score
Great write up @rjwilson37. I'm not a fan of guitar snobbery and your post puts that to bed! A great guitar is about the quality of build, not just a high price. Enjoy your Epi Custom along with your Gibson Standard, as I'm enjoying both of mine.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Thank you @Mahoot , I don't like to waste money, but I don't mind paying it either for something I want. I would only purchase a Murphy Lab if I had a disposable income and money did not matter. The Gibson USA and Epiphone Inspired by Gibson model guitars really have us covered these days. I am having a great time with all my purchases in the past year. Not sure I need anything else now, until GAS gets me again. Sometimes I think I am a little crazy, the way my mind works about my guitar purchases. It seems like I am always justifying my decisions to make the best choice. But I think we all do this, and it's called GAS. haha

Last edited:

Tele295

Reaction score
Did Epiphone ever make a 2xP90 LPC?

Too much to hope for a factory staple pole pickup, but those could be acquired aftermarket to make a somewhat reasonable R4 style Custom.

rich85

Reaction score
Thank you! That’s it exactly

They sell for a premium nowadays it seems. The neck is beyond huge. I sold mine because I found it to be a joke after a while. My 2010 R8 neck was small compared to the 55. I would just put some Humbucker size P90’s in a new Custom if I wanted that guitar again.

As a guide without going into shapes:

.80 first fret to .90 at the 12th is the SG and slim neck ballpark

.90 to 1 inch is the thick 50’s neck ballpark

That neck was 1 inch to 1.1 inch

Last edited:

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I received my Graph Tech locking tuners, and of course the metal locking plates are indeed silver, even the screws. I am not sure how this makes sense. Haha

I picked up some gold quick dry spray paint and have painted the 6 plates I need as well as the screws. Just have to wait for them to dry and spray again. It's actually not much more to buy the Invisomatch plates. :facepalm:
But... The Invisomatch plates in gold are only for the vintage Kluson two screw not the Grover one screw.

goldlocking.jpg

noodlingguitars

Reaction score
Also a proud owner of a current line Epiphone LP Custom and it's indeed a great guitar. I also own a Gibson Custom and a Classic Custom (or is it Custom Classic? The one with the baked maple freboard) and when I do want to play a custom nowadays, the Epi is the go to guitar. It's just so comfortable.

Enjoy the ratio tuners! Some of Graphtech's product lineup compeltely baffles me too. e.g. why no nickel option for the 3+3 locking tuners, but only for the non-locking... :facepalm:

Latest Threads