2020 USA 335

Injector

Reaction score
I got my cherry sixties ES335 in late 2020 and it's a fine instrument.
However, it stinks of chemicals and I can only play it for a few minutes before my chest feels tight and I start coughing.

My R7 has a sweet nitro smell. It isn't particularly offputting. My Custom Shop Telecaster has a sweet nitro smell too, and it isn't offputting either. So why does my 335 reek of chemicals? It doesn't smell sweet like my other two nitro guitars, it smells like a chemical factory. A nasty, offputting smell. Presumably it will lose this smell at some point but it isn't happening any time soon!

I'm assuming that the nitro formula used when making the USA line of guitars is different to the formula they use in the custom shop?

mdubya

Reaction score
Sit it out on a stand and leave the case open to air out. That smell will go away.

You might consider wiping it clean with Naphtha or soap and water, also.

Polishing and waxing regularly will help remove the smell, too.

It might take a few months, but it will go away.

Hecubus

Reaction score
Leave it next to a small bowl of coffee grounds. They have a magic ability of of soaking up noxious odors. I recently got a new speaker cab that had a similar chemical smell. It took about a week and a half with a cup of grounds next to it and now the smell is gone.

tzd

Reaction score
Gibson moved Memphis production to Nashville in 2019, perhaps there are different chemicals in the new area for building 335s.

ARandall

Reaction score
I'd say its more likely to be something from the case.
I don't precisely know just how long the spray - buffing - shipping interval is with Gibson. But in the 50+ guitars I've sprayed the longest the nitro smell has taken to go away has been 8 weeks after the last coat application.....and that was 3 coats a day on 5 consecutive days for the quickest build of thickness possible. And the last days of course are a low level smell that is not something likely to cause respiratory issue after a small time.

Latest Threads