2020 Studio VS Classic advice needed- woods and craftsmanship

ivanvir

Reaction score
Binding is a personal choice, I've had a LP Standard, didn't get along with the binding, I prefer the feel of the wood on the fretboard.
Yes, it's personal and depends on how you feel while playing...I found a couple of shops with 2018 smokehouse burst studio with binding on the neck, sent them a message.

Benniator

Reaction score
I'd choose the Classic, personally. The few I've played just felt better than Studios.

ivanvir

Reaction score
I'd choose the Classic, personally. The few I've played just felt better than Studios.
There is something about the neck that I couldn't put my finger on, maybe Classic I tried was chunkier a bit compared to Studio, although they were both supposed to be slim taper...but yes, it felt a little better to me. That's not to say necks of the Studios I tried were bad or anything, on the contrary, they also felt good - but Classic felt like a step up from already high level.

ivanvir

Reaction score
Just pulled a trigger on a 2018 Studio Vintage Sunburst...price was too good at Thomann for a guitar with neck binding , 57s and a case. Classic would cost me 1800 EUR or more, with shipping and CITES permit, Studio should be approx. 1300E.

jstarr823

Reaction score
Just pulled a trigger on a 2018 Studio Vintage Sunburst...price was too good at Thomann for a guitar with neck binding , 57s and a case. Classic would cost me 1800 EUR or more, with shipping and CITES permit, Studio should be approx. 1300E.
I owned this same guitar last year. One of my top 3 favorite Studio models. Congrats. They’re great guitars.

ivanvir

Reaction score
I owned this same guitar last year. One of my top 3 favorite Studio models. Congrats. They’re great guitars.
Thanks, man! How was the neck on your 2018 Studio? Classic 60's tapper or a bit chunkier? Was the colour more warm or cold? I see a couple of variants online.
images.jpeg
gibson-les-paul-studio-2018-vintage-sunburst-618500.jpg

ivanvir

Reaction score
Btw...I play everything from blues to chugga-chugga metal. So far, I've been using SH-5 in my Partcaster with good results. Do 57s handle high-gain (5150/6505 style) well? I was thinking of buying SH-1 (59) and putting Duncan combo (Sh -5 and Sh-1) in the guitar, how do these sets of pickups compare?

jstarr823

Reaction score
Thanks, man! How was the neck on your 2018 Studio? Classic 60's tapper or a bit chunkier? Was the colour more warm or cold? I see a couple of variants online.View attachment 398792View attachment 398793
Neck is thin Slim Taper, but the binding is a nice touch for playability. Super light due to the ultra modern weight relief. The 57s sound killer in this particular model. Color is closer to the 2nd pic.

ivanvir

Reaction score
Neck is thin Slim Taper, but the binding is a nice touch for playability. Super light due to the ultra modern weight relief. The 57s sound killer in this particular model. Color is closer to the 2nd pic.
Cool, thanks! Now the harder part: two months waiting...

AlanH

Reaction score
Bear in mind that most Gibson LPs with neck binding also have nibs which cover the fret ends. If a fret work is required this will mean greater cost. Studios sans neck binding do not have this disadvantage.

ivanvir

Reaction score
Bear in mind that most Gibson LPs with neck binding also have nibs which cover the fret ends. If a fret work is required this will mean greater cost. Studios sans neck binding do not have this disadvantage.
Yes, I am aware of that...hope the frets will last long with this cryogenic treatment.

ivanvir

Reaction score
Btw, since you had the same guitar, would Grover Locking Rotomatics 502 be a direct replacement, with no need for extra drilling? Or maybe Grover 106? Thanks!

Slick Willy

Reaction score
I would go with the classic. It’s just a better looking Gibson period. You said it felt better. It definitely looks better and I think you would be happy in the long run. Every one I personally know that got a studio says they wish it had binding. Does it make it sound better nope but it’s something to do with expectations. My fender telecaster has none it’s a 51RI so I expect it to look that way. I hope I helped.

ivanvir

Reaction score
I would go with the classic. It’s just a better looking Gibson period. You said it felt better. It definitely looks better and I think you would be happy in the long run. Every one I personally know that got a studio says they wish it had binding. Does it make it sound better nope but it’s something to do with expectations. My fender telecaster has none it’s a 51RI so I expect it to look that way. I hope I helped.
Hey Willy,

I already ordered 2018 Studio with binding on the neck; frankly, no binding on the body is not a deal-breaker for me. Neck, yeah, I prefer the feel of the bound neck and luckily I scored a good deal on this one...there is a couple of pictures of this particular Studio just a few posts above - let me know what you think.

P.S. there is a pickup thing, too - this Studio has 57 Classics which I prefer to 61 Burstbuckers. Yes, Classic felt a bit better and more reassuring, maybe due to it being more heavy or (I think) chunkier neck...but it's a minor difference, Studios felt good, too, especially the ones with bound neck. I tried a couple of 2019 Studios with bound neck, they were good; 2020 Studios I tried (with no binding), I just couldn't felt them and I'd not buy them. Unfortunately, they didn't have 2018 Studios in the shop, they seem to be hard to find.

Last edited:

Derald

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Studio with binding on the neck. I agree that it’s the way to go. Mine came with the 498/490 combo

moreles

Reaction score
Back to your original questions about quality and consistency when you are not in position to try the individual guitars... I think A Randall and jstarr are pretty straight up on this situation. You can buy the model with the specs you want but cannot know in advance about individual guitars. In my experience, Gibson has been consistently strong with the quality of some presumably "budget" models like Studios and Juniors, and I don't think there's much of a risk of a lemon and if you have return/damage protection that A Randall advises, I wouldn't agonize much. And Gibson's QC has been a point of much attention under the new management, and it is unlikely that you would get something deficient. I would decide which model I want. I would prefer a Standard, as most would, but Studios are great, too. I'm not surprised that some dealers are not picking through individual guitars for customers. I think that half the "advice" given by internet salespeople is just hot air, but being able to view the color and figure of a guitar is pretty straightforward and most like to do that. Too bad if you can't. Bummer. Good luck. Sorry your options are restricted -- that diminishes the fun a bit. Of course, back in 1959 guitar shoppers weren't perusing dozens of available Les Pauls either, so sometimes we get spoiled and fussy. Be confident and good luck. The current Gibsons are great.

ivanvir

Reaction score
Back to your original questions about quality and consistency when you are not in position to try the individual guitars... I think A Randall and jstarr are pretty straight up on this situation. You can buy the model with the specs you want but cannot know in advance about individual guitars. In my experience, Gibson has been consistently strong with the quality of some presumably "budget" models like Studios and Juniors, and I don't think there's much of a risk of a lemon and if you have return/damage protection that A Randall advises, I wouldn't agonize much. And Gibson's QC has been a point of much attention under the new management, and it is unlikely that you would get something deficient. I would decide which model I want. I would prefer a Standard, as most would, but Studios are great, too. I'm not surprised that some dealers are not picking through individual guitars for customers. I think that half the "advice" given by internet salespeople is just hot air, but being able to view the color and figure of a guitar is pretty straightforward and most like to do that. Too bad if you can't. Bummer. Good luck. Sorry your options are restricted -- that diminishes the fun a bit. Of course, back in 1959 guitar shoppers weren't perusing dozens of available Les Pauls either, so sometimes we get spoiled and fussy. Be confident and good luck. The current Gibsons are great.
I heard only good things about 2018 Studio and I like that guitar, when I saw it for a good price I ordered immediately...it's not a Standard, but Standard is not Custom, either. There is always better, but my take on that subject is that you have to draw a line somewhere and play the instrument you have. Studios have been used professionally for decades now, so I'm happy with my choice.

Interesting thing is, I tried a bunch of 2019 and new, 2019-20 studios. Haven't really noticed that 2020 are better in any way. In fact, I preferred 2019 models because of binding, neck feels better...but QC seems to be same, both models are in the same league. Cheers!

My Les Paul Classifieds