2020 Studio VS Classic advice needed- woods and craftsmanship

ivanvir

Reaction score
Hey guys,

long time lurker, first-time poster here, greetings to all of you!

I am trying to make a decision between Studio and Classic, from new "Modern" Gibson's line. Where I live it's impossible to find newer Gibsons, there are models from 2016. here, but nothing more recent. However, I did try a bunch of Studios and a couple of Classics in Berlin recently; to my ears and hands, Classic sounded a bit better, but felt a lot better, if that makes sense.

Here is my dilemma: I can't try the guitar, I have to order it from Germany and therefore I am afraid that I might get a lemon. Is it ok to say that possibility of getting a lemon decreases once you go up in the price range? Am I relatively ok with ordering a Classic online, more than with ordering a Studio? And how do you guys like 2020 (or late 2019) models so far, has the QC and general quality improved? I know that nothing beats trying a bunch of guitars and finding the best one, but it's not a possibility atm, so any advice would be most appreciated. Cheers!

Ivan

ARandall

Reaction score
No greater or lesser chance of getting a lemon. Every piece of wood is unique, so not 1 single person on earth will know how it will combine with the other bits of wood that make up a guitar (the typical Les Paul comprises 10 bits or more). This applies from the lowest tribute to the most expensive reissues.
As you get more costly you get more time consuming bling......like inlay and binding. These steps take longer to apply, then make the finishing more complex too. So it's a double whammy.

Every new guitar is a 'risk'. Even trying it in a store you don't know if it will work with your rig at home. The only recourse you need to doubly make sure you have when ordering online is covering QC based warranty issues and shipping damage.

ivanvir

Reaction score
No greater or lesser chance of getting a lemon. Every piece of wood is unique, so not 1 single person on earth will know how it will combine with the other bits of wood that make up a guitar (the typical Les Paul comprises 10 bits or more). This applies from the lowest tribute to the most expensive reissues.
As you get more costly you get more time consuming bling......like inlay and binding. These steps take longer to apply, then make the finishing more complex too. So it's a double whammy.

Every new guitar is a 'risk'. Even trying it in a store you don't know if it will work with your rig at home. The only recourse you need to doubly make sure you have when ordering online is covering QC based warranty issues and shipping damage.

Yeah, that makes sense. I will probably buy from Thomann or Music Store (both from Germany), they have good reputation...I know (from a friend) that Music Store took the guitar damaged in transport back, no questions aksed. He just had to take some pictures, to show them how it looked on arrival.

ARandall

Reaction score
The big stores should also have a comprehensive photography process.......so at least at their end the pics will be accurate to real color, and show all the relevant details needed to make the purchase.

ivanvir

Reaction score
The big stores should also have a comprehensive photography process.......so at least at their end the pics will be accurate to real color, and show all the relevant details needed to make the purchase.
Not sure about Thomann and Music Store. They are not like Sweetwater or Wildwood, where you can take a look at pictures of a specific guitar(s), compare the weight, looks, etc. They only show the pictures of a single guitar for a model range, so you have pictures of one Classic while there are dozens of them in the warehouse. They just pick one from the pile and send it...if you pay some money they'll do the setup and inspect the potential flaws, but they won't let you choose the guitar, unfortunately.

LPCM&BFG

Reaction score
Not sure about Thomann and Music Store. They are not like Sweetwater or Wildwood, where you can take a look at pictures of a specific guitar(s), compare the weight, looks, etc. They only show the pictures of a single guitar for a model range, so you have pictures of one Classic while there are dozens of them in the warehouse. They just pick one from the pile and send it...if you pay some money they'll do the setup and inspect the potential flaws, but they won't let you choose the guitar, unfortunately.
Can I ask where you are located ?

Thomann might do it for you if you ask their Guitar Department nicely (at least they have done for me in the past). If you have ever been to Thomann, it is an enormous place. Their warehouse has a lot of automation, so yes, they may have a large number of your chosen model of guitar in stock. That being said, that's where my BFG came from (sight unseen) and I have not a single complaint about it. The build is excellent, the sound incredible.

Music Store: don't know, maybe contact them as well ?

There is also Session.de

ivanvir

Reaction score
Can I ask where you are located ?

Thomann might do it for you if you ask their Guitar Department nicely (at least they have done for me in the past). If you have ever been to Thomann, it is an enormous place. Their warehouse has a lot of automation, so yes, they may have a large number of your chosen model of guitar in stock. That being said, that's where my BFG came from, and I have not a single complaint.

Music Store: don't know, maybe contact them as well ?

There is also Session.de
Hey man,

thanks for chiming in and for the info. I'm from Belgrade, Serbia (south-east of Europe, Balkans). I talked to guys from Thomann on the live chat, they said they don't choose guitars...however, I haven't talked to Guitar department yet, that actually might work with a bit of good will and luck - thanks for the tip!

Haven't talked to Guitar Store yet, Thomann is cheaper for this specific model (Classic, late 2019-2020) and similary priced for the Studio. Session.de don't ship outside European Union unfortunately...probably because of the CITES thing.

LPCM&BFG

Reaction score
Hey man,

thanks for chiming in and for the info. I'm from Belgrade, Serbia (south-east of Europe, Balkans). I talked to guys from Thomann on the live chat, they said they don't choose guitars...however, I haven't talked to Guitar department yet, that actually might work with a bit of good will and luck - thanks for the tip!

Haven't talked to Guitar Store yet, Thomann is cheaper for this specific model (Classic, late 2019-2020) and similary priced for the Studio. Session.de don't ship outside European Union unfortunately...probably because of the CITES thing.
Thomann will ship with CITES, but it will take a long while...

Maybe also try these guys? They are based in Lille, France, but are quite helpful: https://en.euroguitar.com/

And also these guys out of the UK: https://www.gear4music.com/

ivanvir

Reaction score
Thomann will ship with CITES, but it will take a long while...

Maybe also try these guys? They are based in Lille, France, but are quite helpful: https://en.euroguitar.com/

And also these guys out of the UK: https://www.gear4music.com/
Yeah, it will take 2-3 weeks to export guitar from Germany and another 2-3 weeks to import it here...but there is no way around CITES, it is mandatory.

I'll take a look at those stores, thanks a lot!

jstarr823

Reaction score
:);) come on, help me out here...you know what I mean. Did you try new Studios and Classics? Any thoughts?
The Studio is among my favorite Les Paul models. Everything thing you need and want in a Les Paul, sans the binding and MOP logo inlay. If money is an issue, you won't be dissatisfied with a Studio. The materials, hardware, electronics, and craftsmanship of a Studio will be directly on par with a Classic. It comes down to personal taste and the funds available.

ivanvir

Reaction score
The Studio is among my favorite Les Paul models. Everything thing you need and want in a Les Paul, sans the binding and MOP logo inlay. If money is an issue, you won't be dissatisfied with a Studio. The materials, hardware, electronics, and craftsmanship of a Studio will be directly on par with a Classic. It comes down to personal taste and the funds available.
This is one of those (rare) moments when money is not an issue :cheers2:. On thop of that, price difference is not that big, a couple of hundred Euros - but of course I wouldn't mind paying a bit less.

I am not an expert, this is going to be my first Gibson (played Epiphones, Kramers, etc.) so I'm just going with a feeling I got when trying guitars in Berlin - Classic sounded and felt (under my fingers) like a better guitar. However, that might be due to that particular Classic and Studios I tried in the shop. You certainly gave me something to think about now...thanks!

jstarr823

Reaction score
This is one of those (rare) moments when money is not an issue :cheers2:. On thop of that, price difference is not that big, a couple of hundred Euros - but of course I wouldn't mind paying a bit less.

I am not an expert, this is going to be my first Gibson (played Epiphones, Kramers, etc.) so I'm just going with a feeling I got when trying guitars in Berlin - Classic sounded and felt (under my fingers) like a better guitar. However, that might be due to that particular Classic and Studios I tried in the shop. You certainly gave me something to think about now...thanks!
Well, there you go.

EndGame00

Reaction score
The new Studio comes with a much hotter pickups (490/498) than the Classic (61 Zebra)... I own a 2019 Classic Ebony...

I would basically try both to see which one is more comfortable to play...

Derald

Reaction score
The 2018/19 Studios came with neck binding and 498/490s as well as some cool colors. Cheaper than a 2020 model for sure.

ivanvir

Reaction score
The new Studio comes with a much hotter pickups (490/498) than the Classic (61 Zebra)... I own a 2019 Classic Ebony...

I would basically try both to see which one is more comfortable to play...
Based on what I play, I'd go with 490/498. I tried them both and prefered playability of a Classic. It seems it has
a beefier neck, too, not by much but difference is there.

The 2018/19 Studios came with neck binding and 498/490s as well as some cool colors. Cheaper than a 2020 model for sure.
I'd probably pull the trigger on a 2018/19 Smokehouse Burst Studio if I could find one in Europe, from a reputable dealer who'd sell it for a normal price with CITES permit...that finish is great. I found them in a couple of shops, but they cost as a new 2020 classic.

Last edited:

EndGame00

Reaction score
Have you looked into the 2019 Tribute? This one has 490/490 PU, regular trapezoid inlay, slightly beefier neck than the Studio.

ivanvir

Reaction score
Have you looked into the 2019 Tribute? This one has 490/490 PU, regular trapezoid inlay, slightly beefier neck than the Studio.
Yeah, I looked at it...I'd prefer glossy neck, feels better to me. Just sent a message to a seller from Holland (Dirk Witte Shop) about a 2020 Smokehouse Burst. It rings all the bells except for lack of binding on the neck, but I could live with it...binding on the neck, for some reason, makes me feel like I play nicer instrument. I know it's purely psychological and that binding doesen't affect playability, it just how I feel.

LPCM&BFG

Reaction score
Binding is a personal choice, I've had a LP Standard, didn't get along with the binding, I prefer the feel of the wood on the fretboard.