2020 Strap Lock Suggestions

DigitalTone

Reaction score
Just a note- you can’t reuse the existing Gibson installed screws on Schallers made within the last couple years. The new assembly has the strap button and screw as one piece. The new screw is fairly thick, too. I bought some and ended up not wanting to use them on the LP I bought them for. Creeped me out, screwing that thick screw into the smaller screw hole.

This is me, too. Have them on a lot of things, but couldn't bring myself to screw that big-ass screw down into my LP.

Side note, I am so glad to hear confirmation of Schaller, I knew they were a decent company way back when I was younger but figured it was cheap shizzle now that someone was just using the name. Glad to hear that it is still a good brand to use!

Rayzorxbass

Reaction score

this is what my failed setup looks like - I think a larger button there will do the trick?
I use the same rubber washers from Fender and they seem very tight to me. So yeah, maybe a slightly biggere button would be good. The other thing that I’ve recently switched to is the Levi’s Hemp straps woth Cork ends. The Cork doesn’t seem to get stretched out like leather ends do. So everything fits tight.

80smetalhead

Reaction score
I’ve used Schaller strap locks with TiteBond or BindAll wood glue since the early ‘80’s and have never had any type of failure. The only Schallers failures I’ve heard happen have generally have been from improper prep and install. And the new S-Lock Schallers I’ve installed on my 7-8 gigging guitars are as perfect as you can get. They will be eventually be installed on all of my guitars including my LP Custom and R9. My friend Brad Gillis swears by Dunlop strap locks but I don’t like the way they look. And I can’t speak for everyone else but I don’t find the big Grolsch washer thing to be aesthetically pleasing or secure enough. But that may be because I don’t like beer lol :cheers2:

meatball

Reaction score
Been using the Dunlop strap locks for about 10 years now. On my second set for two Les Pauls.

BijouDrains

Reaction score
Have been using Schaller strap locks for close to 40 years on all of my Gibson electrics and haven’t dropped a guitar since. The new Schaller S-locks are awesome! I’ve also tried Dunlop but don’t like them as much, though I’ve also never had a problem with them, either.

Schaller vs Dunlop is like a GM vs Ford thing. It’s a matter of preference. I go with Schaller and GM. Cant go wrong with either.

BijouDrains

Reaction score
Had a pretty close call with my 50s LP where the strap fell off the button even though it was held in place by a rubber strap lock. Luckily, I was able to catch it mid-drop and it never touched the ground. With that being said, these buttons look tiny compared to others and upgrading that is top priority.

Whats the proper/correct buttons to get? Being era correct would be nice but not at the expense of security. A drop-in replacement would be preferred to prevent modification.

Does such a thing exist?
Just a note- you can’t reuse the existing Gibson installed screws on Schallers made within the last couple years. The new assembly has the strap button and screw as one piece. The new screw is fairly thick, too. I bought some and ended up not wanting to use them on the LP I bought them for. Creeped me out, screwing that thick screw into the smaller screw hole.
That’s what toothpicks and wood glue are for.

smk506

Reaction score
For me the better is D’Addario planet waves, no modification needed, and have a cable retainer...
Finally, the cheapest solution
I tried those about 10-15 years back when they were round disks. I loved the idea, but at the time the build quality or design wasn’t up to snuff.

A little flex on the strap in the wrong direction and the two pieces came apart regardless of being locked.

It looks like the design has changed some though, hopefully they got the bugs worked out.

RDeNatale

Reaction score

emsparks

Reaction score
I'd like to suggest these...Lockit Straps. This link takes you to the leather ones, which I like the best, but there are less expensive options on the site!

Here is a link to a short video about them.

I hope this helps!

MyGuitar

Reaction score
Dunlop strap-locks with the large button are the best in many aspects: safe, universal large button ready for any strap, quiet, distancing strap from the body - providing more weight balance stability and less damping body with strap.
Schallers are ok, especially the new ones, the older version is noisier.
There is one more Germany made product - very compact, lightweight and quiet strap-lock solution - Loxx.

* Concerning strap button point location on the body: I am wondering - almost all buttons are wrong located. Even not talking about SG and most acoustic guitars. I do not mean neck to body weight balance (even here some button relocation can help), but longitudinal rotating dimension. Any LP, Strat, Tele and similar guitars are out of weight balance in this second dimension. If you move forward - your guitar is trying to rotate away from you, and you must use your left hand on the neck - losing comfort. Anyway, buttons must be mounted closer to the body top, and the rear button not on neck axis but some 3-4 cm higher too. Just check and find weight balanced points before doing it on your workhorse instrument.

jamhandy

Reaction score
IMHO Schallers are a pain in the foot to get off. You have to somehow pull up on the knobby thing nd I hate them with a passion.

I don't do the el-cheap-o method of the rubber grommet thing, as you have seen, they fail and fall off. Stupidest idea for a "strap lock" I have ever seen. Originally they were the rubber grommet on a Groslch beer bottle...

Dunlops are on most of my guitars, and for about $5 once you have the male part mounted to a strap, AllParts and others sell the female parts that get screwed onto your guitar, so one strap, many guitars... but people seem to Ford/Chevy hate Dunlops...

Here's the button part from AllParts (looks to be out-of-stock on there, but other folks sell the same thing)

My 1980 Les Paul Artisan weighs 13lb 6oz. I dropped it the first day I owned it. Went back to the store and bought a set of leather strap locks. They been on this guitar for 40 years and have never failed. Getting the guitar strap off and on is a breeze.

IMHO, the leather strap lock is the best ever made. It has held my 13lb 6oz Norlin era Les Paul Artisan for 40 years and has never failed...

2 pictures found on a TheGearPage thread:
Leather Strap Lock - 01.jpg

Leather Strap Lock - 02.jpg

On my Les Paul Artisan:
DSCF0382sm-with red arrow.jpg

Last edited:

Josh_of_CYWG

Reaction score
Had a pretty close call with my 50s LP where the strap fell off the button even though it was held in place by a rubber strap lock. Luckily, I was able to catch it mid-drop and it never touched the ground. With that being said, these buttons look tiny compared to others and upgrading that is top priority.

Whats the proper/correct buttons to get? Being era correct would be nice but not at the expense of security. A drop-in replacement would be preferred to prevent modification.

Does such a thing exist?
Either get shaller or Dunlop strap locks, you’ll need to replace the buttons but they work great

Pappy35

Reaction score
While I agree that the old Schaller's were a pain to disconnect, the new Schaller S-Locks aren't. Maybe it's just because they are new but my new ones just pop right off (while still holding firm).

pondcaster

Reaction score
Plenty of good advice here already, I can't add much but my own preference.

Had Schallers years ago on a few of my higher end telecasters. Ended up getting rid of them because (superficial comment upcoming...) I just couldn't stand the way they looked. Like curb feelers on a Ferrari. Totally ruined the classic Leo design. Plus you had to use their tiny strap buttons. Think I still have a few sets in my junk drawer? Hadn't seen the new ones in the last decade but guessing they're nicer now.

For me, I went old school about 10 years ago. Grolsch "locks" (the good ol thick, deep red ones) and have never looked back. Least intrusive. Most secure. Probably cheapest. Why pay more for Les? Most rock and roll looking, imo. Kinda hard to beat.

Pappy35

Reaction score
<snip> Ended up getting rid of them because (superficial comment upcoming...) I just couldn't stand the way they looked. Like curb feelers on a Ferrari. <snip>
:lol:
Haha. Dating yourself. I haven't seen a curb feeler for 30 years! They still exist but now they're electronic.

I'm big into these new Schallers but I do have to agree they stick out quite a lot. Thanks. Now that you typed that, that's all I'm gonna look at.
:jam::wow: :mad2:

Telechamp

Reaction score
My PRS has really large strap buttons - No need for locks, or even Grolsch-type rubber washers with this guitar..

Latest Threads