2020 Strap Lock Suggestions

Reaction score
Had a pretty close call with my 50s LP where the strap fell off the button even though it was held in place by a rubber strap lock. Luckily, I was able to catch it mid-drop and it never touched the ground. With that being said, these buttons look tiny compared to others and upgrading that is top priority.

Whats the proper/correct buttons to get? Being era correct would be nice but not at the expense of security. A drop-in replacement would be preferred to prevent modification.

Does such a thing exist?

Adieu

Reaction score
Schaller buttons?

The lock part sits on the strap, it just looks like a tiny guitar strap button on the body

PS ....you sure that's not what you already have??? Schaller buttons without the corresponding lock on the strap could appear and act like what you describe. Everybody always assumes nobody would be inattentive enough to hang a regular strap from one, but if you aren't familiar with what they are, I guess it could be mistaken for a teeeenie tiny strap button. Maybe.

Side Burns

Reaction score

i use the standard small gibson aluminum buttons.

Is this what yours looks like?

If you switch buttons, I’m a fan of reusing the original screws

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
Schaller. Only Schaller. Schaller on everything.

Vintage correct? Nope. But you avoid the vintage-correct sound of your guitar hitting the stage, too.

Others will argue for other options, and that's fine; they have every right to be mistaken. But Schaller, hands down, has the sturdiest, most secure design going. Every electric I have ever owned, and every one I had care of in my roadie days, has gotten Schallers at the earliest possible moment. And the ones I've had care of include a '53 Les Paul, a '59 ES-330-TD, a '59 Strat, a pair of early-'60s ES-335-TDs, a '66 Telecaster, an original-run all-rosewood Tele - you get the idea. Once I showed the talent what a Schaller was and how it would protect their baby, they were all avid converts.

You quite simply cannot go wrong with Schallers.

jvin248

Reaction score

Big strap pins + beer bottle washers. And a strap that doesn't have a pin slot fit for an airplane hanger door.

Problems with most of the mechanical strap locks is they put the strap out an inch or more from the guitar body where the leverage works at bending the screw in the body so that the screw pulls out from the wood later on. Your guitar still falls but the strap didn't let go of the button! They also squeak.

christopherJ

Reaction score

Big strap pins + beer bottle washers. And a strap that doesn't have a pin slot fit for an airplane hanger door.

Problems with most of the mechanical strap locks is they put the strap out an inch or more from the guitar body where the leverage works at bending the screw in the body so that the screw pulls out from the wood later on. Your guitar still falls but the strap didn't let go of the button! They also squeak.

Well, on my sample of about 50 guitars I have not ever had happen what you describe. In fact, I don't see how a properly installed strap button would have a screw bend and pull out. I just don't see it. the screw is almost entirely sunk into the wood. It isn't going to bend.

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score

In 47 years experience with Schallers and countless guitars - I mean, literally hundreds upon hundreds - I have neither seen this happen nor heard of it from a reliable source. I mean, it doesn't even happen with Dunlops!

My main electric has worn its Schallers for 28 years, and not the slightest sign of this. File it under "urban legend".

And they only squeak until there's weight on them; hang it on your shoulder and they're dead silent.

danzego

Reaction score
Just a note- you can’t reuse the existing Gibson installed screws on Schallers made within the last couple years. The new assembly has the strap button and screw as one piece. The new screw is fairly thick, too. I bought some and ended up not wanting to use them on the LP I bought them for. Creeped me out, screwing that thick screw into the smaller screw hole.

Standard

Reaction score
Fender.

As is the question for many of life's questions, Fender. Their buttons are significantly wider and also longer than Gibson, they're also like $5. Also, yeah ditch the black ring, go buy a couple or a whole bunch of Grolsch with the pop tops and do it right. It's more difficult to get the washer over the Fender button, but that's a good thing...

It works, with a cheap Ernie Ball strap, I can't intentionally make it come off.

simon connor

Reaction score
My opinion, it's either Schaller or Dunlop. But after years of using Dunlops, and looking down at the way the Dunlop pin and lock assembly stuck way out from my guitar, and wondering "Is that really going to hold? Surely there's too much shear force or torque or whatever on that thing...," I switched to Schallers. Now I don't have that thought any more. For what it's worth, the Dunlops never did fail either. But you should get a locking system, and then you never have to worry about dropping your guitar again.

mdubya

Reaction score
Fool proof. This setup has been protecting me from myself since I got this guitar in 2009. Schallers didn't pass the fool test with me. Never again. Ever.

This was my gigging setup back in the day, too. Haven't gigged since 1999, though.

Side Burns

Reaction score
Using og Schallers on a thick padded strap made it loosen over time for me. More than once, even with a drop of superglue on the threads.

Using Grolsh washers on my guitars and i put them on my buddies guitar for +10 between guitars and no problems.

make sure you tuck the Grolsh washers on right and your good.

& the eternal debate continues lol

(2¢)

Latest Threads