2020--Silver Linings?

Leumas

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Silver linings...despite this being the absolute WORST year of my life in terms of mental health, a lot of good happened.

I manage a senior care facility and we managed to keep people totally safe all year and got our first round of vaccines yesterday. That's the big, big, biggie.

Since my income was not affected and we had nowhere to go to spend money I had a lot more play money. I managed to pick up a new LP Standard, a Relic Tele, a Martin acoustic, and a new amp.

I wrapped up my plans to move on from work and move south. I hired and am training my replacement and will be leaving a career that is both very rewarding, and also more stressful than I am able to deal with anymore, so off to greener pastures for me!

monstruo_loco

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Things that have been positive;
1.) still have my job, 1.5 years to retire
2.) wife works from home, money saved in travel etc. *DISCLAIMER - I never get a chance to to turn up my amps & play loud anymore, she’s here 24/7!!!
3.) Fryette PS-2 back ordered due to virus arrived yesterday, hopefully will help with # 2
4.) wife & I are cooking again, have had some great home cooked meals, chili & cornbread tonight.
5.) although I have a son-in-law & granddaughter with the virus they are improving, haven’t lost anyone close to me so far.
6.) LOTs of $ save going out for dinner & to microbrews, still support establishments with take-out & growlers occasionally.
7.) money saved on cancellation of vacation & trip to FLA, not what I wanted but there it is.
8.) new release movies streaming availability, worry about future for theaters though.
9.) much more practicing with time at home, looking forward to retirement to practice even more.
10.) favorite bands online virtual concerts, although I’d rather see them in person, of course.

All in all, not much to complain about & feel for those who have suffered great losses throughout this time, my heart goes out to them.

Southwest

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Best thing about 2020 is that we're both still walking and talking. Silver lining is that I did something i have wanted to do for 40 years - buy a Gibson Les Paul. Shit year made slightly less shit, but I'll take it.

Best wishes to all and here's hoping 2021 will be a whole lot better.

Uncle Remus

Reaction score
The year started out grand. We in the steel industry were deemed essential. I worked and the wife couldn't go out and spend our money. Come July I was hanging by my super seniority at my plant with no overtime. By December 4th I was laid off. The first time since 1949 that no union officials were in the plant outside of strikes. Ready to flush 2020 down the toilet and hope for a favorable 2021.

prs97

Reaction score
Being in tech has been good in that we're in demand to keep remote connectivity working.

My wife and I are both introverts so working from home has been right up our alley.

I have a really long commute and getting all of those hours back has been amazing. Something like 60+ hours a month back! Crazy. I highly doubt I'll be going back to the office with any regularity for quite a while so I expect the time benefit and cost savings will continue which is fine by me.

mtgguitar

Reaction score
Here are 12 things to consider as we get closer to closing the door on one of the most trying years of our lifetime.
1. The dumbest thing I ever bought was a 2020 planner.
2. I was so bored I called Jake from State Farm just to talk to someone. He asked me what I was wearing.
3. 2019: Stay away from negative people. 2020: Stay away from positive people.
4. Old folks are sneaking out of the house & their kids are yelling at them to stay indoors!
5. I saw a neighbor talking to her dog, she thought her dog understood her. I told my cat. We laughed a lot.
6. Every few days try your jeans on just to make sure they fit. Pajamas will have you believe all is well in the kingdom.
7. Does anyone know if we can take showers yet or should we just keep washing our hands?
8. This virus has done what no woman has been able to do. Cancel sports, shut down all bars & keep men at home!
9. I never thought the comment, “I wouldn’t touch him/her with a 6-foot pole” would become a national policy.
10. I need to practice social-distancing from the refrigerator.
11. I hope the weather is good tomorrow for my trip to the Backyard. I’m getting tired of the Living Room.
12. Never in a million years could I have imagined I would go up to a bank teller wearing a mask & ask for money.

Latest Threads