2020--Silver Linings?

sonar1

Reaction score
I can shelter-in-place anywhere, so after 46 glorious years in Santa Cruz, I moved into my daughter and son-in-laws’ “father-in-law” unit, on the back corner of their property in Redding, CA. Now I’m close by to most surviving family members. Yay!

I was ready for a change, though I’ve loved Santa Cruz. I rolled the dice.
Y’know what?
I’m finally home!

I haven’t been able to find home since I came home from Vietnam. But now I have found the peace and quiet, surrounded by family love, and have a Desert Star Tele on order.
Happy as a clam at high tide. Inspite of itself, 2020 has been stellar for me.
I was dying in Santa Cruz.
Now I’m as alive as I can remember since about age 9 or 10. I’m having about my third second childhood. Walking a mile plus every morning. Dropped 30+ pounds. My A1C is right where it oughta be, and so am I

Last edited:

dc007

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had better years but I am still on the right side of the dirt. I do have a lot to be thankful for. Absolute best thing in 2020 was my youngest getting clean and sober. Answered prayer

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
This was the first full year of our "official retirement". It's got to be nothing but fucking st00pid better from now on!

But, I am so glad that I don't chase airplanes and hotels any longer. That's the best part of 2020 for me. Money for nothing and my chicks for free!

redcoats1976

Reaction score
lots of good things.i am an essential worker and made more money this year than any other year,did not get laid off or miss any work.retired at the end of november.apparently caught the rona in august,but it was such a hard core case i didnt even know it until i donated blood and got the test results that said i had antibodies for it.not that im making light of it,i still mask up and follow social distancing protocals,just saying its not a death sentence for the majority of people,no matter what the news outlets say.and oh yeah,got an epi 2020 special in TV yellow in october.an insanely good fiddle for the price...

TheX

Still Alive and Well
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a good year. My wife had her surgery, and now we have no ongoing heart issues/emergencies. Already worked from home most of the time, and had a home gym already built. I'm in better shape now, and ride more than ever.

I know this year has sucked for a lot of people, but my wife and I did alright.

Michael Matyas

Reaction score
Special thanks to all who responded to this thread. Sincere thoughts and prayers go out from my wife and myself for all our musical brothers and sisters on MLP. And our deepest condolences to all who have lost loved ones this year, whatever the cause. Happy New Year and God bless.

scott1970

Reaction score
It's been a fine year for me personally. I paid off the house early. And work was enjoyably slow for a while when everyone was scared of their shadows around here and refused to go outside or call police for almost anything. It was literally like a vacation on duty.

I'm betting the First 100 Days which begin next month will be giving my another super lockdown, on duty vacation.

Michael Matyas

Reaction score
I have had a spinal condition for more than thirty years, and the pain often keeps me awake for hours at night. The silver lining here is that I no longer have to drag myself to work in a stupor all the time. I can enjoy a beautiful sunrise most any day I choose, and I can rest during the afternoon.

Once again, a big thanks to all who replied here.

sonar1

Reaction score
Us very sad folks who were born and raised in Cleveland.
The river has quit bursting into flames though. So there’s that.

In Schenectady, where I grew up, we swam in the Mohawk River.
So in the winter we had colds that lasted until summer, then eye and ear infections, scrapes that took forever to heal, and high polio and cancer rates.

Other than that it was great! So you die a little?

rockstar232007

Reaction score
The only silver-lining about 2020 - it's almost over.

Hoping 2021 is much better...but I won't hold my breath.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Bad things include the death of my wife’s sister and in current intensive care hospitalization of a friend — both from Covid,

Good things include the fact that my 17 year old football star grand son caught Covid, but recovered quickly and was on the field the week after testing positive. Also, a big surprise is that our investments have done great. I don’t know how that could have happened!

jaycoyoyo

I would rather be playing guitar.
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Adapted to working from home. Actually have become more active compared to office life, because I can get on my elliptical and treadmill several times a day. It doesn't matter if I'm sweaty when I'm sitting at home.

Got a promotion and a big raise.

Put a bit of money into the stock market in March and will be flipping those profits into a new guitar.

-Jay

questionman

Reaction score
Got a new job I like a hell of a lot more than my last one, and being an essential worker I made some good money this year, bought my first Custom Shop LP, actually bought more guitars this year in general. Back to playing 3-5 hours a day, learning new music and branching out my listening, both musically and audiobooks. And back on my feet after breaking my foot and having nerve damage right after New Years. Not a highlight year but personally a positive one considering the circumstances

Latest Threads