2020--Silver Linings?

Michael Matyas

Reaction score
We all know how bad 2020 has been, but somebody out there has to have something good to recount here. For me, 2020 is the year when I was able to retire and spend more time with my wife of 36 years and pursue my many hobbies. And the Bills 38-9 shellacking of the Patriots last night is a huge cause for celebration in our home. AFC East title, 12-3 record to date... Nice note to end a terrible year.

What has been your silver lining for 2020?

Tim Fezziwig

Reaction score
I'm still alive. I don't "rate" years. Every second is a miracle. I made more $ this year, I added a second "stunt" guitarist, I wrote a 15 minute song that I consider one of my best ever.......list goes on and on. People LOVE "cliches"

"OH, HORRIBLE 2020!"

Yeah? Life has ups and down down downs. I try to combat the "parroting" by creating THE NEW. Too much whining this year, not enough creating.

Spiteface

Reaction score
This year was when I finally got to fulfil a childhood dream of mine and go to Japan.

Personal tragedy meant this break went from something I wanted, to something I needed, but it exceeded my expectations. If anything, I'm glad I went as a grown man, than as a child. It meant I appreciated parts of it that the young me would have thought was boring.

Plan is, when it is safe, I want to do it again. I ended up spending very little little of the money I took with me. By the time I came back to the UK, lockdown had been underway for a couple of days, so I couldn't change it back. So I'm keeping it for the next time.

rcole_sooner

Beach Bum
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always wanted to work from home, and I've been able to do that for most of 2020. Not just how I had planned, but it has pretty cool for sure.

I ended up getting laid off from one position, but quickly got snapped up by another company. Still working from home ... never even been in to the new place. All hiring done online. Pretty sweet.

We sold our home, which was part of our plan in moving towards retirement. We are on our big new adventure trying out apartment living ... wondering if we'd be able to stand living in a condo, which will give us more choices for a retirement home or 2. We are loving the city life, so far.

Watching 2020 has been just short of terrifying, but we've been very lucky.

filtersweep

Reaction score
Almost zero work travel. I was in Dubai and France early in the year. But I was able to work on projects in Germany and Qatar without leaving the house. That would have never happened before.

Work travel generally sucks: airports, hotels, and office buildings... and jet lag.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
For me, it’s been one of the best years ever. I try to sympathize with other people’s sufferings, but I’ve had a great year.
I didn’t have to do shit.
I did miss seeing my parents and taking the kids to Disneyland, and I wish nobody had won the election.
But otherwise, this shit could go on forever. I’m a pig in shit.

PeteK

Reaction score
When my daughter was born a few years ago, I was able to take a 5 week leave and stay home with my wife and newborn baby. Well, I didn't have enough vacation time built up when my son was born in late 2019, so I only took a week off when he was born. But in April of 2020 due to Covid, I got sent home with pay for 6 weeks with very little expectation for having to do any work from home. So I got to spend a lot of time with my kids and wife.

Also in 2020, my parents moved here from Missouri to be full time grandparents to my kids. It has been great having them close and my kids getting to grow up with them around. When I was a kid, I saw my grandparents maybe 1 or 2 times a year and never really felt that close to them, so I'm glad we were able to have a closer relationship for my kids and my parents.

Starting in January, I took a job that though it is a bit more stressful, has a way better schedule. I was previously on rotating 12 hour shifts, days and nights. Now I just work Monday to Friday and am home by 3pm every day. It's been great for the family life and my work/life balance has probably never been better.

In non family related 2020 stuff, I have really gotten way more into woodworking this year with the whole not being able to go anywhere. Some of my early projects were pretty rough, but every time I build something, it's a little nicer than the last thing. It's been a lot of fun. I inherited a bunch of my wife's grandpa's old tools. Half the time I have no idea what I'm doing, but with youtube and a bunch of trial and error, I've managed to make some really nice stuff. Lot's of furniture for my kids, a few pieces for my wife, even a food/water station for my dog.

So it hasn't been all bad.

efstop

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I quit my long term full time job at the end of March, looking for part time work to fill the gaps in my gov't pensions. I found one, and it's lighter work compared to my last job but less pay. I have more hours than I want or need, but I've used the extra cash for a bunch of guitars and amps this year. Except for waiting in line a few times to food shop, everything has been hunky dory.

mdubya

Reaction score
I have felt somewhat guilty about 2020. It has no doubt been a terrible year for many people. However, I have prospered, even if it has been a wild ride; calamity and uncertainty everywhere, yet I came through in a position that I have been working to get to for several years.

The only way to go is forward.

Olds442

Reaction score
the only good thing for me is that my parents didn't die.

dad had 3 surgeries this year, a bad femur break, a heart surgery, and colon cancer surgery. so there's been no shortage of opportunity for the reaper to show up for him.

mom had a heart issue and is still on a monitor at home, so she's kept us on our toes as well.

i realize they don't last forever and i'm lucky to have had them so long. so for that, i am thankful.

judson

Reaction score
I'm still alive. I don't "rate" years. Every second is a miracle. I made more $ this year, I added a second "stunt" guitarist, I wrote a 15 minute song that I consider one of my best ever.......list goes on and on. People LOVE "cliches"

"OH, HORRIBLE 2020!"

Yeah? Life has ups and down down downs. I try to combat the "parroting" by creating THE NEW. Too much whining this year, not enough creating.
dam Tim thanks for that post... Roadwork was one of the first albums i bought as a kid...that was a great wake up morning song ...JW would always get the crowds rolling ...:dude:

silver lining for 2020 :hmm:...wearing a mask would hide me from morons when i walked outside !

LP121

Reaction score
Silver lining for me is that my work is considered essential, so I didn't get laid off.

Other than not getting any OT, things were pretty normal.

James R

Reaction score
I'm also considered essential, so I didn't lose work or money, and I'm grateful for that, but the biggest silver lining for me is that 2020 is almost over.

Lots of crap things happened this year in my personal life, as well as with what has been going on around the world, and I'm honestly having a hard time finding any redeeming factors that can elevate 2020 to a level any higher than a wad of chewing gum that's stuck to the bottom of my shoe.

LP121

Reaction score
I'm also considered essential, so I didn't lose work or money, and I'm grateful for that, but the biggest silver lining for me is that 2020 is almost over.

Lots of crap things happened this year in my personal life, as well as with what has been going on around the world, and I'm honestly having a hard time finding any redeeming factors that can elevate 2020 to a level any higher than a wad of chewing gum that's stuck to the bottom of my shoe.
That's the other thing. Nothing bad happened on the personal and family front so I'm thankful for that. Other years have been much worse.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
I’m so much better off than many. But my silver lining is that because 2020 sucked such hard dirty ass, the recovery will be that much more sweet. Lots to look forward to.

James R

Reaction score
That's the other thing. Nothing bad happened on the personal and family front so I'm thankful for that. Other years have been much worse.
Thats awesome, I'm super glad to hear it!

Nothing too major went wrong for me this year, at least I didn't lose any family or friends, just a lot of bad news with my families health, a ton of stress because my wife's business got shut down for a couple months and that was just a couple months after we opened it, so it was very touch and go for a bit. Then a bunch of other odds and sods thrown in just for fun.

Overall, it could have been much worse, but it also could have been a little better too.

Latest Threads