2020 SG Classic Inverness Green

christopherJ

Reaction score
Looks like they put the PG on then drilled the holes. The one hole was a mistake and they stuffed a toothpick in and redrilled.

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
I like the humbucker-like mounting ears for the P90s
I've got a set of MJT P90s in my 2020 SG and don't care for using foam, particularly as high as the bridge pickup needs to be (needs two layers of foam).

smk506

Reaction score
I like the humbucker-like mounting ears for the P90s
I've got a set of MJT P90s in my 2020 SG and don't care for using foam, particularly as high as the bridge pickup needs to be (needs two layers of foam).
Those base plates are a PITA to find for some reason. I’m probably going to improvise something out of wood for one of my SGs soon.

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
Those base plates are a PITA to find for some reason. I’m probably going to improvise something out of wood for one of my SGs soon.
Wouldn't be hard at all to make... couple of pieces of 3/4x1/8 aluminum barstock and four 4-40 holes.

But keep in mind that the SG body will need additional routing (or a steady hand with a Forstner bit) to provide clearance for the tabs.
You'd be effectively converting the pickups into Dogears.
Not a big deal for me, as I had to open up the corners on my SG Standard to clear the P90s, a little more missing wood under the batwing won't make a difference if I ever restore it to 'buckers for sale.

smk506

Reaction score
Different situation for me, I have a late 60’s special, so its made for the pickguard mounting. It’s been on the back burner though, I have other projects I’m more interested in, and it really needs a refret before I worry about anything like pickups. I just chip away at it a little at a time, I’ve had it almost 10years and have only played it 3-4 times.

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
Different situation for me, I have a late 60’s special, so its made for the pickguard mounting. It’s been on the back burner though, I have other projects I’m more interested in, and it really needs a refret before I worry about anything like pickups. I just chip away at it a little at a time, I’ve had it almost 10years and have only played it 3-4 times.
You made me go double-check mine. I used an SG Special pickguard on my Standard and didn't remember holes for the pickup height screws.
Nope... Not there.

CerebralGasket

Reaction score
You'd be effectively converting the pickups into Dogears.
They're still Soap Bars.
It's just a different mounting baseplate.

Dog Ears vs Soap Bars usually refers to the type of cover on a P-90.
Specials have Soap Bars.
Juniors have Dog Ears.

LP1865

Reaction score
Amazing Fretboard grain. And lovely guitar!!!!!

DrBGood

Reaction score
Merci-thank-you for the detailed photos Christopher !

That is a seriously nice finish ! 2 piece body, I'm impressed. I like that streaked fretboard, makes it kind of unique in a way.

Martijn R.

Reaction score
I recently sold a G400 in worn red as i could not get along with it. I did not like the thick mat poly and the veneer it had.

The new classic looks like a very nice replacement especially after seeing these photos. I love the open grain finish and that fretboard is very fitting.

If i am not mistaken humbuckers fit in those routes if one would desire to do so, a new pickguard would be needed tho.

christopherJ

Reaction score
I recently sold a G400 in worn red as i could not get along with it. I did not like the thick mat poly and the veneer it had.

The new classic looks like a very nice replacement especially after seeing these photos. I love the open grain finish and that fretboard is very fitting.

If i am not mistaken humbuckers fit in those routes if one would desire to do so, a new pickguard would be needed tho.
Likewise. My 2020 SG Custom I picked up feels cheap in comparison. These new finishes feel very much like nitro. They do not feel like poly. Very, very nice. If the poly has turned you off in the past, you will not be disappointed in the new worn finishes. Good stuff.

cherrick

Reaction score
Dang. I like everything about this Epi. Color (nailed it, spot on). Fingerboard grain and color (spot on). Fabulous Mahogany grain in the body (spot on). Tuners (spot on). $379 at Sweetwater (spot on).

The only think I would change would be maybe dog ears mounted to the wood and the little pickguard.

Latest Threads