2020 R4 VOS, too green...

MikeyV

Reaction score
Somebody at Gibson must have had some mushrooms for breakfast. I noticed this on these Wildwood Spec R6s.

They're gonna have a hard Time selling these.

Reaction score
One of the things I like about GTs. Depending upon the ambient room lighting, they take on a different "hue".

jon9463

Reaction score
I’ve got an original 55 which was refinished by previous owner ( it was apparently very poor cosmetically but I didn’t see it in that state) , a well-known British jazz guitarist and writer..... he sourced the paint direct from Gibson via “Hutch” Hutchins, a well known luthier who worked there for decades, and it was said to be the correct original shade from the 50s. Regarding the shade I’ve no idea if that’s correct, and the refin was done about 20 years ago now I think , but it’s it’s quite amber and not at all green.

Attachments

paintguy

Reaction score
At one point a year or two or three ago they changed the formula more green and I liked it. Now that's too green IMO.

DigitalTone

Reaction score
To the OP and/or anyone bringing up lighting maybe as the reason it appears green - I bought a 2020 R7 with a Darkback a few months ago - was very excited about receiving it as I always wanted a Darkback goldtop - I couldn’t have been more disappointed from the moment I opened the case - it’s so green - like puke green - I had a 2018 R7 and foolishly sold it last year - they’re still calling the 2020 finish “double gold” so I thought it would be the same - my wife (who normally doesn’t care too much about my guitars) actually laughed when she saw it - needless to say I pretty much immediately packed it back up and returned it - I don’t know what Gibson was thinking with this color - fortunately I was able to pick up another 2018 goldtop a few weeks ago w/ a Brazilian board (NOS from Panther Guitars) - now I’m happy as a clam again with my non-green goldtop :)
I attached a few pics of my new 2018 model for reference.
That looks amazing.

Bulldog50

Reaction score
NGD!!! but not too much celebrating...today I got a new 2020 1954 reissue VOS, and can't seem to understand what the CS have done to the goldtop finish. It looks dull, too green...nothing like my other cs goldtops.
Very frustrated...maybe I'll get used to it in time, maybe not...
I purchased a Les Paul Standard that was supposed to be Seafoam Green, which really looked nice in the factory photos. When I received it, it was almost blond, with just a hint of green. Looked nothing like the marketing photos. Gibson made the ludicrous response that it appeared to have been left out in the sun. Gibson definitely has paint color issues.

Attachments

MojoR

Reaction score
I like all the different shades, makes each one unique.
Light does seem to make a difference with my 2018 R7 w/ Brazilian just like the one posted in this thread previously, but the lighting in this pic of mine makes it look a little darker, maybe greener, but outside it brightens up.
3A5FAE49-8A8E-497A-BA26-86F8078C0781.jpeg

peterjc

Reaction score
Agree with colour changes, they’re all over the place and they certainly change complexion in different lights! To OP yours looks great but I certainly didn’t like the green tops change in 13’...it’s mellowed since and the 18’ colour looks great imo. Here’s my 11’ which I sought after as I wanted pre 13’. You would think it’s 3 or 4 different guitars in these photos!

Attachments

Last edited:

RocketKing

Reaction score
Somebody at Gibson must have had some mushrooms for breakfast. I noticed this on these Wildwood Spec R6s.

That actually looks bad.
And I like the "aged" gold finish thing.
But that looks like lime! And that price sure isn't attractive either.

RocketKing

Reaction score
I like all the different shades, makes each one unique.
Light does seem to make a difference with my 2018 R7 w/ Brazilian just like the one posted in this thread previously, but the lighting in this pic of mine makes it look a little darker, maybe greener, but outside it brightens up.
View attachment 499488
That's beautiful

Wise Guy

Reaction score
My father has a real 50's gold top that's as green as grass. Typical aging in these. I'm sure the CS is trying to mimic that.

goldtop0

Reaction score

Yes.........that's not a goldtop at all is it............they're disgraceful................ to put it lightlyo_O

derek1977

Reaction score
NGD!!! but not too much celebrating...today I got a new 2020 1954 reissue VOS, and can't seem to understand what the CS have done to the goldtop finish. It looks dull, too green...nothing like my other cs goldtops.
Very frustrated...maybe I'll get used to it in time, maybe not...
Not a fan of that double gold.I hope you get something you are happy with.

crosstownblues

Wraptail Fan
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It kind of looks like the color of the old Classic green inlays. My R4 is my avatar, and it’s a nice gold color that shows off the sexy dish carve.

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A bad goldtop is still better than any burst.

alexvdl

Reaction score
I really can't understand everyone's reaction about the color. All the yellowish gold colors I've seen in this thread look like the normal USA models from the 70s up to the 90s. Just too bright and modern looking. Have a look at pics of real gold tops from the 50s, even the minty ones are darker and more greenish. OP's guitar looks awesome, like a real vintage gold top.

If he's unhappy with it, just replace it with an older model with another gold color.

Last edited:

goldtop0

Reaction score
I really can't understand everyone's reaction about the color. All the yellowish gold colors I've seen in this thread look like the normal USA models from the 70s up to the 90s. Just too bright and modern looking. Have a look at pics of real gold tops from the 50s, even the minty ones are darker and more greenish. OP's guitar looks awesome, like a real vintage gold top.

If he's unhappy with it, just replace it with an older model with another gold color.

In all due respect I think you may need to take a colour blindness test.
Look at any of the vintage '52 LPs and see what colour they are.........that's the rule of thumb...... a honey gold colour......and the rule of thumb for ALL proceeding GTs. There is green below the gold when the top is worn and that's all, it's not the predominant colour.....it's a secondary subliminal affectation in the historical sense.
Very few years of Gibson production have been able to replicate the honey gold colour of the '50s.

Last edited:

Latest Threads